X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josefontao
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by OftheSeven
    I have a PHEV and BEV (7kWh and 24kWh) and waiting to see what my first month on net metering will show; currently on tiered SCE rate. If we use kitchen appliances around 5-6PM and turn on the air around 5PM on hot days, would TOU-D-A still be a better choice? Or is that assertion strictly for production during the day to receive the highest credit rate?
    TOU will almost certainly be better for you, probably TOU-D-A
    ---
    [url]http://bit.ly/1O69e6l[/url]

Comment

• gvl
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2015

I have a PHEV and BEV (7kWh and 24kWh) and waiting to see what my first month on net metering will show; currently on tiered SCE rate. If we use kitchen appliances around 5-6PM and turn on the air around 5PM on hot days, would TOU-D-A still be a better choice? Or is that assertion strictly for production during the day to receive the highest credit rate?
      It is difficult to make a recommendation without having a complete picture of hourly usage for the last 12 months and hourly estimates for solar generation of your system which you can get from PVWatts. All I know that those with EVs and solar can generally eliminate their monthly bill with about 80-90% annual solar production offset vs. usage on TOU-D-A. You'd need to have at least 100% annual offset to eliminate your bill on the tiered plan, if that is already the case (100% offset) there is no need for TOU for you. If not and your solar is South or South-West facing with little shading in the afternoon, and you charge your cars primarily at night, there is a very good chance you'll benefit from TOU-D-A.

Comment

• josefontao
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
        [ATTACH]6964[/ATTACH]

In a 12 hour solar "day"... I produce all 12 hours... but more generation occur's in the "peak" 6 hour period than the "off peak" 6 hour period due to "noon" being shifted later in the day.
        I thought on peak starred at 2pm and ends at 8pm
        ---

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by josefontao
          I thought on peak starred at 2pm and ends at 8pm
          TOU-D-T is still 12-6, although it won't be around for long. TOU-D-A tends to outperform because it pays so much more for generation from 8am - 2pm, when most people have very little load.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

My solar array facing SW245, so TOU-D-A is the best choice especially all my load were after 6pm. I got whole day production to cover 6 to 8pm peak and 8 to 10pm off peak usage (4 hours). All night long of super off peak from 10pm to 8am. Why not?

Comment

• josefontao
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2015

Is netmetering allowed with any TOU plan?
              ---

Comment

• gvl
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2015

Btw, TOU-D-A/B is limited to 200,000 enrollments. I don't think they will run out soon, but it is something those with EVs and solar or thinking should keep in mind.

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by josefontao
                  Is netmetering allowed with any TOU plan?
                  Yes, net metering is allowed for any plan you would otherwise be eligible for. That protection was provided by AB327.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sensij
                    TOU-D-A tends to outperform because it pays so much more for generation from 8am - 2pm, when most people have very little load.
                    solar105.JPG

Yea, but dont forget I live near the beach.. and there are days where you dont see the sun until after noon. I'm still on the fence regarding which TOU plan would be best for me.

Comment

• Alisobob
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

If we use kitchen appliances around 5-6PM and turn on the air around 5PM on hot days, would TOU-D-A still be a better choice?
                      Thats my situation... from about 4pm on, on weekdays... I'm a consumer, not a generator..at Peak rates.. under the TOU-D-A plan.

Comment

• jrh
                        • Oct 2014

My system just came up on the 1st so its only been running a few days. Pretty sure I live across the valley from Bob so we should be close to identical location wise.

7.8kW system with 26 enphase m250's and the LG 300 panels.

Here is my output on June 3rd, which had rain in the morning. But yeah, the sun doesn't really come out till noon at this distance from coast.

Had 52 kWh on the 2nd, which was super exciting (for me). Today was also kind of bad, was worried I wouldn't even hit 20 kWh but it wasn't a problem, still cleared 30 kWh easily.

Oddly enough I am on SDG&E and not Edison but they have been decent to deal with. Will be sticking with the 4 tier system for awhile till I get a grip on usage. I did order a Rainforest Eagle so I can tie it into the new smart meter that was installed. That way I can use pvoutput.org to compare solar and energy usage directly in real time.

Comment

• insaneoctane
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by jrh

Had 52 kWh on the 2nd, which was super exciting (for me)...
                          That's 6.66kWh/kW. Very respectable in my book. Congrats.

Comment

• gvl
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
                            Thats my situation... from about 4pm on, on weekdays... I'm a consumer, not a generator..at Peak rates.. under the TOU-D-A plan.
                            300-500 kWh a month for EV charing at $0.11/kWh makes a difference, plus a pool pump if one has it.

Comment

• rwb1921
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by jrh
                              My system just came up on the 1st so its only been running a few days. Pretty sure I live across the valley from Bob so we should be close to identical location wise.

Here is my output on June 3rd, which had rain in the morning. But yeah, the sun doesn't really come out till noon at this distance from coast.

Had 52 kWh on the 2nd, which was super exciting (for me). Today was also kind of bad, was worried I wouldn't even hit 20 kWh but it wasn't a problem, still cleared 30 kWh easily.

Oddly enough I am on SDG&E and not Edison but they have been decent to deal with. Will be sticking with the 4 tier system for awhile till I get a grip on usage. I did order a Rainforest Eagle so I can tie it into the new smart meter that was installed. That way I can use pvoutput.org to compare solar and energy usage directly in real time.
                              I just went live on the 2nd at 1pm, had 30.4 on the 3rd which was nice, not so good today with 20.0. Lot's of clouds today, no sun until late in the day. Our system is 6.0kW with 21 m250's and SW 285 panels.
                              I think I am the cause of the clouds, just my luck with things.

Comment

• gvl
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rwb1921
                                I think I am the cause of the clouds, just my luck with things.
                                No, that would be me

Comment

Working...