X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkstaack
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Srt6
    looks like i stand corrected. But the way i'm looking at it, changing my W-4 will allow me to receive some of the credit up front (via monthly paycheck) and all of it by August
    That's a sound strategy. Money today is worth more than the same amount next year.
    LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

• mcollins
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
      Wow..... (wow, wow, wow)

I took the boards advice, and contacted a small, local company with nothing but 5 star reviews on Yelp. No Russ..... I wont say the name.

This is their deal....
      24 , 270 watt Solar World MONO panels ( 6480 watt total)
      24 Enphase Inverters
      Envoy monitoring with life time web access
      Attic run electrical, nothing on roof
      Move v ents as needed
      R/R all Roof Tile under solar panels to repaper roof.
      25 year warranty for all parts and labor. If product supplier goes out of business, they will pick up the remainder of supplier warranty
      4 year maintenance agreement ( Wash panels, inspect wiring, etc..etc.. 2 x per year) after 4 years, service is $150 per year if so desired
      NO PANEL UPGRADE NEEDED! They will flip around some circuits to make the panel "End Fed" which will satisfy the building inspector without replacing the panel.

All permits and HOA paperwork included

Price: $23,291 ( 3.59 per watt installed)

-30% Tax Credit $16,303 ( $2.51 per watt installed)

It looks like this is the way I'm going to go.....

Thanks everyone. Bob
      Hey Bob, Thanks for telling me about your installer (name withheld to protect the innocent). I was really impressed with his laid back straight shooting style. I could have been asking him to install a ceiling fan, simply competent knowledge with years of been there done that. His price was excellent compared to my 4 other installers (all 5 star Yelp companies).

My roof is small and broken up into different levels and different orientations. For this reason I have moved away from my first thought of a single inverter and have moved to micro inverters. He has recommended 16 - LG 300 panels to maximize each panel. I have tried to find out about this brand but it barely shows up on most "best of" lists. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, anyone know about how to approach a neighbor who's palm trees are hanging over my roof? They are literally against my home. My association says it is a "matter between neighbors". Are there any solar laws that could help?

Thanks again for your posts.

Matt

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by mcollins
        H
        Also, anyone know about how to approach a neighbor who's palm trees are hanging over my roof? They are literally against my home. My association says it is a "matter between neighbors". Are there any solar laws that could help?
        Some states have solar laws, but for the most part they only affect changes in conditions from when you started out with the system, such as trees being planted or growing taller.

In your case the basic law which applies is that you have the right to trim any portion of the tree that overhangs your property as long as you do not kill or significantly damage the tree in doing it.
        If the whole head of the palm is overhanging your lot, you could probably require the owner to pull it back over his property or remove it, since trimming it would kill the palm.
        If it is on his property and is just shading your roof, you have less support unless your area has a sunlight access law, not necessarily just for solar PV.

How to approach depends a lot on how you think the neighbor will react.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Hey Bob, Thanks for telling me about your installer (name withheld to protect the innocent). I was really impressed with his laid back straight shooting style. I could have been asking him to install a ceiling fan, simply competent knowledge with years of been there done that. His price was excellent compared to my 4 other installers (all 5 star Yelp companies).

My roof is small and broken up into different levels and different orientations. For this reason I have moved away from my first thought of a single inverter and have moved to micro inverters. He has recommended 16 - LG 300 panels to maximize each panel. I have tried to find out about this brand but it barely shows up on most "best of" lists. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your posts.

Matt
          See CA public resource code SEC. 25980 to 25986. The Solar Shade Control Act deals with this sort of thing. Under that act, mostly, if the veg. was there before the panels were installed, it can stay. See the ref. provided for details. Any veg. growing over to your property in a general way is a different matter. I'm think you can trim that as a private nuisance. I'd think the HOA CC &R's would have something to say about such things. I'd read them as well.

Comment

• mcollins
            • Jan 2015

Thanks for the input on the tree issue everyone. I will check the associations CC&Rs. I am hoping that the tree I cut down on my property a few years ago that was too close to his home will soften the blow of me asking him to remove his beloved palms. I wonder if they could be moved...

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Thanks for the input on the tree issue everyone. I will check the associations CC&Rs. I am hoping that the tree I cut down on my property a few years ago that was too close to his home will soften the blow of me asking him to remove his beloved palms. I wonder if they could be moved...
              They are easy to transplant from what I have seen - a particular variety I don't know though. In the Mid East the rich guys don't like to wait for a tree to grow - they have the full size planted often.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Hey Bob, Thanks for telling me about your installer...
                You're welcome. I'm still very, very happy with their work.. and my solar systems performance. Halfway through Jan, and I'm over generating by about 5%.

I'll have plenty of credits come summer!

As far as the LG panels... LG is a global company who makes everything.... kinda like a Korean General Electric.

I have a LG Washer / Dryer that I dislike, which pushed me towards Solarworld. It was just a personal preference.

I dont think the LG panels would ever give you an issue.

Let me know how things progress!!

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

You're welcome. I'm still very, very happy with their work.. and my solar systems performance. Halfway through Jan, and I'm over generating by about 5%.

I'll have plenty of credits come summer!

As far as the LG panels... LG is a global company who makes everything.... kinda like a Korean General Electric.

I have a LG Washer / Dryer that I dislike, which pushed me towards Solarworld. It was just a personal preference.

I dont think the LG panels would ever give you an issue.

Let me know how things progress!!
                  After having 2 Maytag, I switch to LG and love them.

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

AZ6A5336_zpsbe9ac719.jpgAZ6A5329_zpsc4d06e08.jpgAZ6A5299_zpse0089c31.jpg

So.. I got to do solar, and the wifey got to do the kitchen...

We both followed the same parameters.

1. Dont go the cheapest, go the best value. Your contractor needs to make money to stay in business. If you try to hammer him on the price ( or get into some kind of barter situation) ..its a lousy way to start a business relationship.

2. Tell the contractor EXACTLY what you expect... and thats you will accept.

3. Question everything. A good contractor will love to explain everything. A crappy contractor will get all defensive, and is your first warning sign.

Our kitchen came our perfect, on budget, ON TIME, and will soon be moving upstairs to do the master bath.

We like our contractor, and he likes us...... see how it works???

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

looks really nice. Only part I 'll address is the range hood. If you don't do too much of cooking, I guess it should be fine. I recently installed a 900CFM rangehood because we do lots cooking at home

Comment

• Alisobob
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

My wife cooks.... constantly. The hood works fine.

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

It looks more like a 200CFM low profile rangehood. If that's power enough for your type of cooking

we need a powerful rangehood for our kitchen haha

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5597[/ATTACH]

So.. I got to do solar, and the wifey got to do the kitchen...

We both followed the same parameters.

1. Dont go the cheapest, go the best value. Your contractor needs to make money to stay in business. If you try to hammer him on the price ( or get into some kind of barter situation) ..its a lousy way to start a business relationship.

2. Tell the contractor EXACTLY what you expect... and thats you will accept.

3. Question everything. A good contractor will love to explain everything. A crappy contractor will get all defensive, and is your first warning sign.

Our kitchen came our perfect, on budget, ON TIME, and will soon be moving upstairs to do the master bath.

We like our contractor, and he likes us...... see how it works???

Really nice kitchen you got there. Your contractor did a professional job.

Comment

• Alisobob
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              Really nice kitchen you got there. Your contractor did a professional job.
                              Thanks..... like solar.... choose your provider wisely.

Comment

• josefontao
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2015

Hi Bob,
                                I've been doing some research into solar for a couple of weeks now and I would like to know the company that did the work for you. Please PM me their name so I can give them a call.

Also, other than the 30% tax credit, is there any other credit or rebate that you will be getting from the State, the county, the city, SCE, etc?
                                ---
                                [url]http://bit.ly/1O69e6l[/url]

Comment

Working...