X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • araghava
    • Sep 2014

Has anyone tried buying panels, inverters, mounting racks directly from a wholesale retailer and then hiring a general/electric contractor to do the installation.

Comment

• organic farmer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by araghava
      Has anyone tried buying panels, inverters, mounting racks directly from a wholesale retailer and then hiring a general/electric contractor to do the installation.
      In my state that would be illegal.

The state requires that any installer must be state licensed. A regular electrician can not touch any of this.

There are very few state licensed installer, they are all located in tourist regions, where they focus primarily on vacation homes for the wealthy.

All installers here are equipment dealers.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by araghava
        I am sure some people have done something similar. You have to find out from you local POCO and Inspectors to see what is allowed in your town. It seems the rules are different from town to town as well as from state to state.

As organic farmer mentioned some states will only allow a person trained and licensed to install pv to do the work. It was like that years ago in Florida. I haven't check lately but it might still be that way.

Once you find out the rules for your town you can then get your quotes for hardware/install based on what you have to follow.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Even where a licensed installer is not needed to do the whole installation, in some states rebates are not allowed unless a certified installer is involved to sign the system off.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• organic farmer
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2013

I should have added a bit.

In this state only a minority of towns have Code Enforcement officers. My town does not have any CEO, and most towns do not. We refuse to pay taxes high enough to have inspectors on salary.

The real stickler is the Utility Company, if you go with net-metering. The UCs require that their engineers do their own inspections [that you pay for], and they require city CEOs to also do independent inspections. So not only are you paying the Utility Company to do pre-, during and post inspections, but you are also forcing some city CEO to drive out into the country to find your town, ...

If you stay off-grid, then none of that non-sense happens.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by organic farmer
              I should have added a bit.

In this state only a minority of towns have Code Enforcement officers. My town does not have any CEO, and most towns do not. We refuse to pay taxes high enough to have inspectors on salary.

The real stickler is the Utility Company, if you go with net-metering. The UCs require that their engineers do their own inspections [that you pay for], and they require city CEOs to also do independent inspections. So not only are you paying the Utility Company to do pre-, during and post inspections, but you are also forcing some city CEO to drive out into the country to find your town, ...

If you stay off-grid, then none of that non-sense happens.

Off grid will work for some people if you enjoy that type of living. A lot of people do not have the fortitude to make it work.

The good side is that you aren't stuck with the political and government non-sense. The bad side is that it will cost you more time and money keeping the system running.

Comment

• organic farmer
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Off grid will work for some people if you enjoy that type of living. A lot of people do not have the fortitude to make it work.
                I migrated here because I like this lifestyle. If anyone does not like this lifestyle, they leave.

... The good side is that you aren't stuck with the political and government non-sense. The bad side is that it will cost you more time and money keeping the system running.
                I am going off-grid because I want reliable power. I am on-grid, in seven years, we have not seen one straight month go by with power all month long. Multiple power outages, every month is normal. A truly rare oddity is a month with only one power outage.

Many properties I looked at when I was shopping for land, do not have access to grid power.

Three homes in my township do not have access to grid power. If they want power, they must generate it.

If I want power, all month long, I must generate it.

As to costing me more money ? ? ? I have no clue what your talking about.

It would cost me more than what?

Hiring an installer costs far more money than doing it yourself. That is certain.

Having no power, would cost less.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I migrated here because I like this lifestyle. If anyone does not like this lifestyle, they leave.

I am going off-grid because I want reliable power. I am on-grid, in seven years, we have not seen one straight month go by with power all month long. Multiple power outages, every month is normal. A truly rare oddity is a month with only one power outage.

Many properties I looked at when I was shopping for land, do not have access to grid power.

Three homes in my township do not have access to grid power. If they want power, they must generate it.

Hiring an installer costs far more money than doing it yourself. That is certain.

All good points and you have my respect for being able to live the way you do and in a place that sounds really nice and peaceful.

While you may not feel it costs more living off grid my math says it does for most people. Even if I did all the work an off grid system just costs more per kWh generated then buying that power from the Utility including the times of an outage where I would have to generate my own. Sure I have to put up with the "rules" but in the end I still believe it will cost less being plugged into the Grid then generating it all myself.

Again this is based on where I live and not where you live. The balance of being lower cost may be more toward self generation than Utility if you live in a very remote area prone to multiple long power outages. So for you it is better for off grid. For me it is cheaper to stay on grid.

Again my respect to you for being able to live the life you want and the ability to do so.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    Again my respect to you for being able to live the life you want and the ability to do so.
                    Rget just have to recognize that more than 99.5% of the population has no interest in that type of thing.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Ya' pay your money, ya' take your choice. Still a free country the last I looked. Probably not a whole lot of disciples for that lifestyle however - but what the hell - enjoy.

Comment

• bulldrummerbullies
                        • Mar 2015

Start small and learn

When you buy a system you will be up graded to a very expense system. That may never pay you back unless you pay cash. But Then what interest could you earn on your cash, just a though. ;If you can afford a top of the line system that is what you should do. But if you are like me retired and don't want to spend $30,000 ;then think about  a DIY system that you can start small and build as you learn (if you can not wire your garage with a breaker box) buy a system. If you do understand electric there some advantages to doing your self. No high wage installer and contractors. You can stay off power company Meter since power company pay back cost more for inspection then you want to pay. You don't have to build a system that can handle a clothes dry and a electric range or large table saw. You can rewire a family room lights and entertainment center, and ideally a small  deep freeze with a circuit so it can be on or off grid by just moving the plug. I bought a 2500 pure sign wave inverter made by Taiwan factory, not China, POWER JACK,Trojan Deep Cycle Battery  and Xantrex Charge Controller use led lighting. I bought white Christmas led lights 110v after xmas  and 18 wheeler backup lights run off battery. solar panel 100 watts are about $125.buy 10 if you can and build to 20 plus .when you can afford add a 10000W/40000W LF Split phase pure power inverter $1200 and add battery as you can. Then if you want to go off grid by a good generate to run your power saw. Or just stay on grid. You can stay under $5000to7000 depending on number of batterys Stay on grid and have only mo. service charge to the power co. or be totally off grid. IF your electic bill is $300 a mo. pay back 2 years $200 a mo. 3years. A little work which should be fun and some research on internet

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

that is quite some advice. You should grab a six pack and make some YouTube videos.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bulldrummerbullies
                            When you buy a system you will be up graded to a very expense system. That may never pay you back unless you pay cash. But Then what interest could you earn on your cash, just a though. ;If you can afford a top of the line system that is what you should do. But if you are like me retired and don't want to spend $30,000 ;then think about  a DIY system that you can start small and build as you learn (if you can not wire your garage with a breaker box) buy a system. If you do understand electric there some advantages to doing your self. No high wage installer and contractors. You can stay off power company Meter since power company pay back cost more for inspection then you want to pay. You don't have to build a system that can handle a clothes dry and a electric range or large table saw. You can rewire a family room lights and entertainment center, and ideally a small  deep freeze with a circuit so it can be on or off grid by just moving the plug. I bought a 2500 pure sign wave inverter made by Taiwan factory, not China, POWER JACK,Trojan Deep Cycle Battery  and Xantrex Charge Controller use led lighting. I bought white Christmas led lights 110v after xmas  and 18 wheeler backup lights run off battery. solar panel 100 watts are about $125.buy 10 if you can and build to 20 plus .when you can afford add a 10000W/40000W LF Split phase pure power inverter $1200 and add battery as you can. Then if you want to go off grid by a good generate to run your power saw. Or just stay on grid. You can stay under $5000to7000 depending on number of batterys Stay on grid and have only mo. service charge to the power co. or be totally off grid. IF your electic bill is $300 a mo. pay back 2 years $200 a mo. 3years. A little work which should be fun and some research on internet
                            Geez you are an idiot.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...