• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sdold
    I'll throw this out there as I have just installed my own system:

1. Figure at least a third of the cost will be OTHER than panels and inverters.

2. Don't do it if your only goal is to save money, because you will probably get very frustrated at the learning curve and time required.

3 If you like learning, doing a challenging job right and having a lot of personal satisfaction at the end, that's a good reason to do it.

4. If you are the type that cuts corners, second-guesses the building codes, doesn't like to take advice, etc, don't do it. You'll end up with a sloppy, jackass system that might be dangerous.

5. You might not need much help. I installed my whole system by myself. It's not that I didn't have friends willing to help, I just never needed them. I did have my wife help me get the panels up on the roof, to make it easier on my back and to be safe on the ladder. But I was surprised at how easy the whole thing was. Friends would make it go faster, but I have a tile roof and didn't want a bunch of guys up there possibly cracking them.

6. Picture your solar panel project. If your mental image is reading code books, calculating loads, talking to the building department, and in general enjoying all of this as a fun learning challenge, go for it! If your mental picture is sitting on the couch, cracking open a cold one, enjoying free air conditioning and watching ESPN, you probably should pay someone to do it.

I don't know if you'll save much money on a DIY, that wasn't my main goal. My 16 panels were $210 each, my 16 inverters were $120 each, but my total cost was $8000 and about a hundred thousand hours of my time. Now you know why I listed #1 first
    I think you left out something - common sense, which IMO, you seem to be blessed with. I'd also wager that what you learned is pretty valuable. If there are situations where you get more than you pay for, yours may be one of them.

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

I'm not sure about common sense, I just spent $8000 and 100K hours installing a solar array that, in five years when it's paid for itself (I hope), will save my wife and I just enough money each month to pay our Starbucks tab. Does that sound like common sense???

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

Common sense tells me: I should shop for the best deal and leave that for the professional since I don't think I can do a great job install these panels by myself....(haha) With the amount of time to researching and failing, just to gain the experience that I might use again in next 20 years.... maybe not... All I need is a phone call if I ever needed the service from installer. I rather spend those hours with my family. I got my solar system for $2.84/Watt before incentives, the price is reasonable. When you have 30% tax credit from Fed, the saving part becomes less and less on just the labor.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

I'm not sure about common sense, I just spent $8000 and 100K hours installing a solar array that, in five years when it's paid for itself (I hope), will save my wife and I just enough money each month to pay our Starbucks tab. Does that sound like common sense???
          Sounds to me like you've always had some. No matter. If you didn't have any before, I bet you got more now, and you learned a lot along the way. Did you have fun and learn stuff ? Sounds like it. In some ways, priceless.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
            Common sense tells me: I should shop for the best deal and leave that for the professional since I don't think I can do a great job install these panels by myself....(haha) With the amount of time to researching and failing, just to gain the experience that I might use again in next 20 years.... maybe not... All I need is a phone call if I ever needed the service from installer. I rather spend those hours with my family. I got my solar system for $2.84/Watt before incentives, the price is reasonable. When you have 30% tax credit from Fed, the saving part becomes less and less on just the labor.
            Different strokes for different folks. If you're happy, what's not to like ?

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              Sounds to me like you've always had some. No matter. If you didn't have any before, I bet you got more now, and you learned a lot along the way. Did you have fun and learn stuff ? Sounds like it. In some ways, priceless.
              You're right, I learned a lot, but the "fun" aspect is interesting and I've thought about it with this and other projects. I don't think there was any point where I was working and thought "this is fun". But every step of the way, from the first time the drawings started taking shape to watching the inspector drive away, gave me a tremendous sense of satisfaction that lasted a lot longer than most "fun" things do. And it's still a great feeling when I go out to mow the lawn and I look up at that array and think about how I did it myself.

I think the real reason I didn't get anyone to help me was that, with friends helping, I'd have to work continuously. I have a 3 and a 6 year old, so being on the roof was the only peace and quiet I'd had for a long time. Alone, I could work for 15 minutes, and then relax for an hour watching the sunset or listening to my ipod. It was almost like being at the beach. Since my wife couldn't see me, she assumed I was working the whole time, so the longer I was on the roof, the better treatment I'd get when I got down. Most home projects don't work that way.

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

I like that!!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

You're right, I learned a lot, but the "fun" aspect is interesting and I've thought about it with this and other projects. I don't think there was any point where I was working and thought "this is fun". But every step of the way, from the first time the drawings started taking shape to watching the inspector drive away, gave me a tremendous sense of satisfaction that lasted a lot longer than most "fun" things do. And it's still a great feeling when I go out to mow the lawn and I look up at that array and think about how I did it myself.

I think the real reason I didn't get anyone to help me was that, with friends helping, I'd have to work continuously. I have a 3 and a 6 year old, so being on the roof was the only peace and quiet I'd had for a long time. Alone, I could work for 15 minutes, and then relax for an hour watching the sunset or listening to my ipod. It was almost like being at the beach. Since my wife couldn't see me, she assumed I was working the whole time, so the longer I was on the roof, the better treatment I'd get when I got down. Most home projects don't work that way.
                  Check your PM's please.

Comment

• organic farmer
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Rdjntx
                    now multiply that hundred thousand hours of your time by what you could have earned doing your job ... and you will have the true cost of your system.
                    Some things in life are not justified through what you think your time is worth.
                    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by organic farmer
                      Some things in life are not justified through what you think your time is worth.
                      I read that as saying what you consider your time is worth.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DanS26
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2011

Time.....its one of the things in life that is available to everyone......and you get to do with it as you please.

Comment

• organic farmer
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2013

I have known many people in my life, who have held to the standard that their time is worth X dollars/hour. They view all tasks within that mind set.

This is why we have dog-walkers. Your time is too valuable to spend any walking your own dog, so you spend money to hire a person of less worth to walk your dog for you.

When do you spend time fishing? How does fishing, or hiking, or gardening fit into that mindset?

It is okay to step away from that mindset and do things that you enjoy. Life is the limiting factor here, not your hourly wage.

There have been times in my life when I made really good money. During those times, I had no social life, and very little time for my family, or the things that I wanted to do. I was working.

Now I am retired. I have been retired for 13 years, so far. Now I have lots of time to do things I want to do.

I hire people to do tasks for me, that I dislike doing, or that I lack the skill-set.

There is nothing wrong with designing your own support system to hold solar panels. There is nothing wrong with wiring your own charge-controller and breakers and invertor, etc. If that is what you want to do.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

I have known many people in my life, who have held to the standard that their time is worth X dollars/hour. They view all tasks within that mind set.

This is why we have dog-walkers. Your time is too valuable to spend any walking your own dog, so you spend money to hire a person of less worth to walk your dog for you.

When do you spend time fishing? How does fishing, or hiking, or gardening fit into that mindset?

It is okay to step away from that mindset and do things that you enjoy. Life is the limiting factor here, not your hourly wage.

There have been times in my life when I made really good money. During those times, I had no social life, and very little time for my family, or the things that I wanted to do. I was working.

Now I am retired. I have been retired for 13 years, so far. Now I have lots of time to do things I want to do.

I hire people to do tasks for me, that I dislike doing, or that I lack the skill-set.

There is nothing wrong with designing your own support system to hold solar panels. There is nothing wrong with wiring your own charge-controller and breakers and invertor, etc. If that is what you want to do.

Pay your money, take your choice.
                            I'd agree with most of your statement, but add that it may be best to stay within your capabilities, and probably equally as important to know your limitations. The next person behind you may not know that some of the stuff they now own was done by, in effect, amateurs. Put yourself in their shoes.
                            I've seen the results of people who hubristically and damn near belligerently claim skill and knowledge of a task the results of which are worse than adequate and sometimes dangerous to themselves and all who get near their work.
                            You're a Dolphin if my memory serves. I know, and have known several. I suspect not everyone has your skill set(s), or perhaps more importantly, the persistent, driven and probably quiet mindset to get it right.

Comment

• organic farmer
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                              ... You're a Dolphin if my memory serves. I know, and have known several. I suspect not everyone has your skill set(s), or perhaps more importantly, the persistent, driven and probably quiet mindset to get it right.
                              Your memory is correct.

I am a career submariner.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Your memory is correct.

I am a career submariner.
                                I do not forget that I sleep safely and peacefully under the blanket of protection provided by you and others like you.

Thank You.

Comment

Working...