X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • curtis63
    • Aug 2014

Self Install Solar Panels. Is it worth the hassle?

How much money can you save on a solar panel system by installing it yourself? How hard can it really be? With youtube, and with these forums, if a person is handy and has a couple friends to help out, couldn't you save thousands by installing solar panels yourself?

I'm no genius, but it seems like you could save quite a bit installing your own solar panels. However, I have been known to be dead wrong with my assumptions.

I'd love to hear from some people who have installed systems themselves. Also, I would love to hear from installers about the ease, or difficulty of installing solar panels.

Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback !!
  • fool face
    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by curtis63
    How much money can you save on a solar panel system by installing it yourself? How hard can it really be?
    Handiness is one thing but I'd liken it to doing electrical in your own home (safety first!). If that's something you feel comfortable doing, PV is a good project IMO.

Remember to factor in your learning curve and the cost of your time vs. that of a professional.

Installation costs definitely make up a good portion of the 'soft costs' associated with getting a system up and running so your efforts may well be worth it (depending on your system size). See this article from NREL (2012).

Good luck and have fun if you decide to take it on.
    "In this way we have an exchange." Bruno Taut 1919

Comment

• silversaver
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

I haven't install the system myself, but you are not going to save too much money since the price has been dropping alot. Claiming the warranty might be an issue for certain solar equipments such as panel or inventer. Of course you will save money for self install (labor). If you think saving (labor) > the issues (problems) then yes do it.

The installation job is really easy for those (installer) doing it everyday. For me? I can make more money doing my own profession.

Comment

• DanS26
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2011

Tell us more about your skills, especially electrical skills and building skills. Then you may get a response. If you have to depend on YouTube to figure things out...then forget it. Worse case you will kill yourself or burn your house down...best case maybe it will pass code and the inspectors with some luck.

No one can tell you if you are capable to do this, but if you are motivated and willing to invest in the long learning curve, then it is doable for a DIY'er.

And yes, to answer your question, you can save money....most cases over 50%.

Comment

• organic farmer
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2013

I designed and built our array. I did it twice.

I spoke with local contractors, followed their advice, and I finished one week before hurricane Sandy blew through the area. That hurricane lifted all the concrete sonotubes up out of the ground, and laid the entire array on the ground. I got it disassembled, and the panels bundled back on pallets, just before winter weather arrived.

A year later I did it again, but with a complete redesign of the support system.

It can be done by yourself.

50% of the cost is labor.
          4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• Rdjntx
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

While labor is a large part of a systems cost, depending on how your incentives work you will still come out ahead by having it done for the most part IMHO. I got most of my system paid by incentives (system 37k out of my pocked 8.9k) it made no sense for me not to have it installed. If something breaks I have one company to call and they come fix it. less hassel, less time invested, and less chance of a screw up. everyone has their own criteria however.

Comment

• curtis63
              • Aug 2014

Skills

Originally posted by DanS26
              Tell us more about your skills, especially electrical skills and building skills. Then you may get a response. If you have to depend on YouTube to figure things out...then forget it. Worse case you will kill yourself or burn your house down...best case maybe it will pass code and the inspectors with some luck.

No one can tell you if you are capable to do this, but if you are motivated and willing to invest in the long learning curve, then it is doable for a DIY'er.

And yes, to answer your question, you can save money....most cases over 50%.
              I'm pretty handy with things. I used to fix VCRs for a living. I fix iPods as a hobby. I built a deck for my home a couple weeks ago. Do most car repairs (brakes, shocks, struts, etc) I wired my hot-tub, and have a BS in computer science. I designed and built a shelf system in my garage that covers the walls with 18" deep shelving that you can climb on (even if you're 300 lbs).

It seems like as long as I get a certified person to sign off on the installation after I am done, and during the process if necessary, I should be able to get all my rebates. Looks like I would get $2K from the state, and 30% of the net in Tax Credits. So, if I didn't have to pay installation and just purchased the parts and got the above rebates. I could probably get it for under $9,800 (after applying rebates) for a $16,000 system. Does that sound about right?? The system I was looking at is at the following link:

Are there better places to purchase the panels and other accessories?

Comment

Self-installation on solar panels would cost you a lot. If you are prepared for this and you exactly know how to install it, I guess it would be worth it. I've heard of some companies offering to rent their solar panels for home use. Has anyone taken up an offer like this?

Comment

• fool face
                  • Oct 2013

Can't say I or any peers have (maybe a geographic thing). Our government of Ontario offers the opposite sort of deal. Homeowner builds and they buy the energy.
                  "In this way we have an exchange." Bruno Taut 1919

Comment

• organic farmer
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Rdjntx
                    While labor is a large part of a systems cost, depending on how your incentives work you will still come out ahead by having it done for the most part IMHO. I got most of my system paid by incentives (system 37k out of my pocked 8.9k) it made no sense for me not to have it installed. If something breaks I have one company to call and they come fix it. less hassel, less time invested, and less chance of a screw up. everyone has their own criteria however.
                    Installers in this region are expensive. They do not offer any 'incentives'.

The only form of incentive is the fact that you get reliable power, instead of monthly outages.

Obviously we get the tax write-offs and tax credits. Everyone gets those.

I am a farmer, nearly every penny I spend on farm improvement becomes a tax write-off.
                    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by curtis63
                      I'm pretty handy with things. I used to fix VCRs for a living. I fix iPods as a hobby. I built a deck for my home a couple weeks ago. Do most car repairs (brakes, shocks, struts, etc) I wired my hot-tub, and have a BS in computer science. I designed and built a shelf system in my garage that covers the walls with 18" deep shelving that you can climb on (even if you're 300 lbs).

It seems like as long as I get a certified person to sign off on the installation after I am done, and during the process if necessary, I should be able to get all my rebates. Looks like I would get $2K from the state, and 30% of the net in Tax Credits. So, if I didn't have to pay installation and just purchased the parts and got the above rebates. I could probably get it for under $9,800 (after applying rebates) for a $16,000 system. Does that sound about right?? The system I was looking at is at the following link:

Are there better places to purchase the panels and other accessories?
                      curtis

Be careful. That $16,000 does not include a racking system, or ac safety switches, metering, permitting, and other miscellaneous installation hardware and material. Before you try to figure out how much you can "save" you should at least look into what a professional installed system costs. Then you can determine if your labor and time is worth the savings of doing it yourself. It may be cost effective but you are putting the cart before the horse IMO.

Comment

• DanS26
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2011

Sounds like you may be a true DIY'er. Here are the major steps which should be done in this order:

1. Talk to your POCO. Obtain their requirements and permission.
                        2. Talk to the AHJ. Understand their requirements for a permitted system.
                        3. Understand and FOLLOW NEC requirements.
                        4. Calculate power needs. Don't over or under design. California is way different than Indiana.
                        5. Now you can start to look at equipment. Compare specifications, warranties, service, etc.
                        6. Obtain at least three bids...five bids is preferred.
                        7. Accumulate equipment and make sure you have everything BEFORE you start building.
                        8. Now the fun part starts............

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

I'll throw this out there as I have just installed my own system:

1. Figure at least a third of the cost will be OTHER than panels and inverters.

2. Don't do it if your only goal is to save money, because you will probably get very frustrated at the learning curve and time required.

3 If you like learning, doing a challenging job right and having a lot of personal satisfaction at the end, that's a good reason to do it.

4. If you are the type that cuts corners, second-guesses the building codes, doesn't like to take advice, etc, don't do it. You'll end up with a sloppy, jackass system that might be dangerous.

5. You might not need much help. I installed my whole system by myself. It's not that I didn't have friends willing to help, I just never needed them. I did have my wife help me get the panels up on the roof, to make it easier on my back and to be safe on the ladder. But I was surprised at how easy the whole thing was. Friends would make it go faster, but I have a tile roof and didn't want a bunch of guys up there possibly cracking them.

6. Picture your solar panel project. If your mental image is reading code books, calculating loads, talking to the building department, and in general enjoying all of this as a fun learning challenge, go for it! If your mental picture is sitting on the couch, cracking open a cold one, enjoying free air conditioning and watching ESPN, you probably should pay someone to do it.

I don't know if you'll save much money on a DIY, that wasn't my main goal. My 16 panels were $210 each, my 16 inverters were $120 each, but my total cost was $8000 and about a hundred thousand hours of my time. Now you know why I listed #1 first

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sdold
                            I'll throw this out there as I have just installed my own system:

I don't know if you'll save much money on a DIY, that wasn't my main goal. My 16 panels were $210 each, my 16 inverters were $120 each, but my total cost was $8000 and about a hundred thousand hours of my time.
                            An excellent project description! Thanks!
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rdjntx
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by sdold
                              I don't know if you'll save much money on a DIY, that wasn't my main goal. My 16 panels were $210 each, my 16 inverters were $120 each, but my total cost was $8000 and about a hundred thousand hours of my time. Now you know why I listed #1 first
                              now multiply that hundred thousand hours of your time by what you could have earned doing your job ... and you will have the true cost of your system.

Comment

Working...