X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I read that right, you can monitor 2 different solar outputs? Pretty broad day, with
    cloud interruptions. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Yes, I monitor both solar outputs because like you I have a matched set of Fronius 7.5 string inverters. A problem in either inverter or strings assigned will be immediately noticed. Those Fronius inverters are very robust as you know. Many years now with trouble free operation even though there are times of massive clipping. I think active cooling is the key to their design.

No need for individual panel monitoring......I’ll know immediately if there is a problem anywhere in the system by just glancing at the TED system and comparing outputs. Tracking down any faults would be a simple task for my Flukes.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
        Yes, I monitor both solar outputs because like you I have a matched set of Fronius 7.5 string inverters. A problem in either inverter or strings assigned will be immediately noticed. Those Fronius inverters are very robust as you know. Many years now with trouble free operation even though there are times of massive clipping. I think active cooling is the key to their design.

No need for individual panel monitoring......I’ll know immediately if there is a problem anywhere in the system by just glancing at the TED system and comparing outputs. Tracking down any faults would be a simple task for my Flukes.
        I think my 2 Fronius inverters need (expensive) cards added to work with TED, is that right? My 2016
        measurements were to help minimize clipping by choosing better alignment, but that will not be complete
        until all the mounts are rebuilt to be adjustable.

Another little developed idea here is a % clipping gauge, to facilitate alignment. If Fronius does clipping by
        raising the voltage (by drawing less current), checking how far panel voltage is from MPPT voltage should
        do it. Could just measure the voltage, and measure temp to figure MPPT voltage. Or maybe throw an
        unloaded panel out there to compare its open circuit voltage to actual voltage? Not this year. Bruce Roe

Comment

• I do not use the "cards" in the Fronius inverters. The TED Pro system uses CT clamps which I have clipped on each AC output of each inverter. I do not monitor the DC input remotely if that is what you want to do. I can only see DC input on the face of the inverters. The TED system uses PLC to transmit data so a clean line or a filter may be needed.

The TED Pro system can be expanded to monitor many AC circuits both incoming and outgoing all thru CT clamps and the necessary devices to monitor things. I monitor 28 circuits, some small some large.....its become a hobby. If you go back to the screen shot I posted (#390) you can see some of the circuits I choose to display. Two ETS systems, a Nyle heat pump water heater, my EV consumption, main furnace, overall load and generation and of course system voltage.

Another thing I've done with the TED system is to set up the calculations on Time of Use billing even though I am actually billed seasonal flat rate. This allows me to determine whether TOU would be advantageous to switch. So far over the past five years flat rate is better overall. TOU is better in winter but worse in summer. Overall though it is better to be on seasonal flat rate for the full year. My local REMC was interested in how I determined the best rate base since many of their customers want that information but they are not able to provide.

Another thing I have done is to allow my system data to be transferred every five minutes to PVOutput.org. TED works great with PVOutput.

Yes it is pricey.....but you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Bruce......8 weeks and no postings to PVOutput.org?

Comment

Bruce......8 weeks and no postings to PVOutput.org?
              Right, I got a lot of info doing that while the system was so experimental, but now I feel
              the final design is known and in fact much of it has been proving satisfactory service for
              years. My basement spinning disc meter is now providing info I was initially missing.

To keep a general handle on energy and the annual reserve curve, I have reduced to
              reading the numbers for my book on the first day of the month, and 2 days before that,
              and 2 days before that. These 3 readings will fall on the most likely day the PoCo takes
              their reading, or bracket it, so I can look at monthly generation and reserve from read
              day to read day. The length of the period between reads can vary quite a few day, so
              I calculate energy per day to factor that out.

My feeling is generation the first 2 months of this annual period is about equal to my best
              in the past, but the increased efficiency of the HVAC plant is reducing usage. The net
              result of that would be more reserve built up so far. I will report on that when the net PoCo
              bill shows up in a week or so. Maybe a way to add monthly reports to PVOutput will be
              worked up, compatible with history when taken by months or years. That will be later.

Meanwhile it is about time to bury that 4/0 wire, everything except me and the weather is
              ready. That will not increase my generation, but it should increase my reserve buildup
              and reduce chances of over voltage problems if an inverter must be replaced.

Not sure what to do with the retired 4 gauge feed between buildings, but maybe use the
              original neutral as a ground between buildings. And use the other 2 for a 24VDC reserve
              system I have been thinking of putting in, AC charged with some solar backup. It could
              keep alive the antenna amplifiers, cat 5 E boosters, and other com devices while power
              is out. And with point of use DC-DC converters do things like power a small TV, LEDs,
              or recharge stuff. Doing this at 12V would require 3 systems to cover 3 buildings, but
              at 24V losses would be acceptable over 250 feet and the final load voltage could be
              switcher regulated to that required. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Here in So Indiana the last three years the solar insolation has been 4 to 5% below PVWatts predictions so my production has suffered. But I'd rather have the clouds and rain over drought.

Good luck with your projects.

Comment

• Bruce...you live in the Midwest (IL I think)...have you noticed that the skies are clearer and cleaner? My eight year old solar system is making record production many days this spring even with the degradation of older panels. This is welcomed relief here in So. IN.

Talk about "Sun hours".............

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS26
                    Bruce...you live in the Midwest (IL I think)...have you noticed that the skies are clearer and cleaner? My eight year old solar system is making record production many days this spring even with the degradation of older panels. This is welcomed relief here in So. IN.

Talk about "Sun hours".............
                    Sunny skies, yes have seen a few of them lately. A month before the longest day, on 31 May the 15KW system
                    matched my record production of 157KWH. That is a Global Horizontal Insolation/day of 10.47
                    (J. P. M. frowns on SUN HOURS).

Something I have long noticed, the array may keep the inverters in clipping for over 8 hours in March, but that
                    time does not increase much with the lengthening days. I credit that to the sun rising and setting more toward
                    the north, causing a couple effects. One is the arrays are set to near straight E or W, so the angle of incidence
                    at day extremes is poorer. I anticipated that, but a more northern alignment would start to severely impact
                    winter production, so they are aligned about midway.

The other effect is that the arrays are backed up against trees, which start to block the sun at summer day
                    extremes. If the entire array gets rebuild to match my latest mount design, the tree issue will be much reduced.

There is no plan to increase the number of panels. But the south facing panels will become a more minor
                    part of the total. Once these are moved away from trees and tilt mounted, they will be straight up for the
                    snow months to increase production and reduce snow removal efforts. For summer the experiment will be
                    to tilt them back to facing straight up. This will not be very efficient mid day, but should be enough. In that
                    position they will be better able to respond to sun to the north on the beginning and end of summer days.
                    Bruce Roe
                    Last edited by bcroe; 06-03-2020, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Sunny skies, yes have seen a few of them lately. A month before the longest day, on 31 May the 15KW system
                      matched my record production of 157KWH. That is a Global Horizontal Insolation/day of 10.7
                      (J. P. M. frowns on SUN HOURS).
                      As long as I'm having my name taken in vain:

I don't like term Sun Hours" because it's confusing and can easily mislead folks as has been shown here many times, as in:" The sun is above the horizon 10 hours today, so that's 10 sun hours, right ?".

Even the misleading term "Sun Hours" as it's commonly used - with units of kWh/time period of insolation incident per m^2 of horizontal surface is different than you appear to be implying its use.

I appreciate that the term "Sun Hours" has become more/less embedded in the vulgate of solar energy, but it's still a confusing term that can easily lead to confusion that doesn't need to happen.

Global Horizontal Insolation (GHI) is the term used to describe global insolation that strikes a horizontal surface over a period of time, often a 24 hour period by those trying to convey insolation availability at a location over a certain period of time.

It appears to me, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that you are dividing a daily system production (157 kWh/day) by that system's STC rating (15 STC kW) and calling that Global Horizontal Insolation/day, and/or implying/applying the term "Sun Hours" to it. Not that it matters much, but additionally that would give your definition units of kWh/(STC kW-day).

What you call that quantity as you define it is your business, but that's not what the rest of the world is talking about when they say or use the terms "Sun Hours" or kWh/(m^2-day). Your use of the term makes an already confusing and imprecise term ("Sun Hours") even more confusing to those trying to make sense of the terminology.

Respectfully,

Comment

• My best is a GHI of 8.96 . My DC/AC ratio is 1.54.....I believe your DC/AC ratio is much higher......maybe closer to 2.0?

All I can say is that those older Fronius 7.5 transformer inverters are robust to take the kind of abuse we put them through on these sunny days. I check my 40 amp breakers with a temp tool and I'm running a high of 58* C on a 40* C rated GE breakers......hot to the touch but no trips in eight years......knock on wood.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                          . As long as I'm having my name taken in vain:
                          That was taken from your post 21 April 2018, but if you changed your mind I can go back to
                          SUN HOURS.

Yea the Fronius pair are holding up very well. My DC/AC exceeds 2, but I try to keep the panels
                          arranged so that, that much power never hits the inverters all at once. Keep in mind, the REASON
                          for all the panels, is to keep the inverters busy even under the (perpetual) clouds. Having done that,
                          I need to make the panels useful but not destructive when there are no clouds.

The gauge for clipping project is still in the background, but not forgotten. And I did blow a 40A
                          breaker early on, maybe it was a counterfeit. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Originally posted by bcroe View Post

That was taken from your post 21 April 2018, but if you changed your mind I can go back to
                            SUN HOURS. Bruce Roe
                            Maybe it's because you are using imprecise sentence construction - that is, my confusion about just what is the antecedent to your first word "That" ?

I sure as hell don't think I ever wrote the definition of "Sun Hours" the way you have defined it.

I may have written and still agree that what I believe is the vague, imprecise and confusing term "Sun Hours" has the units of kWh/(m^2*day) and that the term "Sun Hours" is often the (IMO unfortunate) term used for Global Horizontal Insolation.

I can't get at that post. If you can get to it and somehow repost it, I'll be happy and eager to discuss it.

The way the terms "Sun Hours" or GHI are defined and used in the literature and by everyone except you it seems, it's simply not possible to have GHI - that is, Global Horizontal Insolation - that high. Not only that, but the way you define and use the term, and as I pointed out, the units are nonsense.

GHI (Global Horizontal Insolation) with units of kWh/(m^2*day) is often called "Sun Hours", and I disagree with the use of that term for reasons I've described, but what you call "Sun Hours" and how you describe it is never something I wrote, nor has most anyone else who knows anything about the subject.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-02-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Here in So Indiana the last three years the solar insolation has been 4 to 5% below PVWatts predictions so my production has suffered. But I'd rather have the clouds and rain over drought.

Good luck with your projects.
                              FWIW, data of POA (irradiance) taken here at ~ 20 minutes past solar noon (the time within 30seconds of daily min. incidence angle on my array) for dates between ~ 03/20 and 06/01 for the 6 years 2015 through 2020 inclusive and only on days when the sky was cloudless and with a clearness index > 0.72 have not shown any significant variation I can detect for 2020 vs. the 5 prior years.

While the data is a snapshot, and not from the midwest, I'd suggest that because of its nature, the stuff I've collected may have some use or value or comment to your query about how the covid business has impacted irradiance values.

Aggregate mean POA (irradiance) for years 2015 through 2019 = 1011 W/m^2, std. dev. 16.0 W/m^2. Sample size for that period (2015 through 2019) for each year varied from 26 to 34. Total n for 2015 through 2019 = 149.
                              Data for 2020: mean POA = 1014 W/m^2, std. dev. = 15.3 W/m^2, n = 35.

Irradiance and other weather variables data taken at 1 minute intervals using a Davis Instruments Pro II Plus. Pyranometer replaced every 2 years with calibration tracing.
                              The pyranometer is a silicon device and beyond that, its response is not wavelength sensitive. However, the response curve is quite similar to other silicon devices such as PV panels.

GHI to POA irradiance conversion via HDKR algorithm.

As for array output for the same periods (03/20 through 06/01) and the same 6 years, 2020 actual array output has been 99.7 % of what PVWatts models. The prior 5 years for the same calendar period for each year varies from 89.0% to 109.7 of what PVWatts models. SAM shows about the same variation as do the models I wrote. I believe most of my variation is weather related with not much of the variation due to changes in the atmosphere's clearness index.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Bruce: Seeing as how this is your thread, I'll delete this post if you wish.
                              Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM. Reason: Corrected "GHI " to "POA".

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                                Well Bruce, seems to me the term "sun hour" causes enough unnecessary and easily avoidable confusion already among neophytes and newcomers as evidenced, for example, by those who think because the sun is above the horizon for, say 8 hrs., that means there was 8 sun-hours that day. Or, they are told that their location gets, say, 4 sun-hours/day on average, not knowing that the common units of a sun-hour are kWh/m^2 per hour insolation with no mention of that energy being on a horizontal surface or that a tilted surface may very well see more (or less) insolation over the course of a day simply by virtue of orientation. The way I see it, it's a B.S. term that invites errors and causes needless confusion, wastes time and so can easily cause errors, plain and simple. I see it here and elsewhere all the time.

The confusion is easily overcome by simply using the term "Global Horizontal Insolation per time period" instead of "sun-hours", with the time period being anywhere from a second to a year or longer as appropriate, with abbreviations such as "GHI/day", or GHI/hr., or GHI/year, etc. Units are Wh/m^2 per time period, etc., or, for example, kWh/m^2 per day instead of "sun-hours". As a matter of reality, that usage ("GHI/time period") is pretty much common in the rational and working solar community and has been accepted for longer than I've been around alternate energy. The term "sun-hours is an anachronism made so by the confusion it causes.

Now, you come along with a different and somewhat parochial definition of sun-hours that seems to be useful to you, and I don't doubt that it is (useful for you), but is so specialized and cryptic that not only does it do nothing to clarify an already confusing and less than helpful characterization of insolation by use of the term "sun-hours", but seems pretty much useless for system analysis as well.
                                Here is the post I was trying to use for guidance. Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X