X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks Littlharbor. I found a lot of them and some with a wind speed indicator that is programmed into the electronics.It must change the angle in high wind. Thank you so much. This saves me a ton of work! I'm thinking this would work for a max of 4 panels.
    This gets the design work started earlier!!!!!!!!

    Cheers, Jim

    Comment


    • Hey Bruce...another quick question...I think your East/West array has a ~60* tilt. The Fronius white paper says that a 15* tilt is the most beneficial for an East/West array. Just curious why you chose such a sever tilt for that array?

      Is it because you want to limit the clipping on your inverters?.......or do you have some other reason?

      ps....your right that the Fronius 7.5 uni inverter is a single MPPT inverter.....their newer inverters have multiple MPPT capabilities.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
        Hey Bruce...another quick question...I think your East/West array has a ~60* tilt. The
        Fronius white paper says that a 15* tilt is the most beneficial for an East/West array. Just curious why you chose
        such a sever tilt for that array?

        Is it because you want to limit the clipping on your inverters?.......or do you have some other reason?
        Yea, and Google says the cheese goes on the bottom of the burger. My notes indicate the frame is 74.4 deg
        up from flat, but that doesn't take into account the array follows a 10% grade. I can't put my inclination gauge
        on the edge of the panel; need to use a level to get it straight up when measuring the combined angle. Too
        cold & dark to do just now.

        I initially found my expensive inverter plant had little to do when the sky was somewhat cloudy. More panels
        would help, but they would be wasted in clipping if facing S in good sun. So they are more or less facing the
        rising and setting sun.

        With that in mind, I needed some kind of triangle wide enough that I could work inside, and that wouldn't blow
        over too easily. Thats about all the science in this model. Production measurements indicate it wasn't such
        a bad guess.

        Bruce Roe

        Comment


        • The inclinometer says the E-W panels are up around 74 deg; the S panels are 24 deg. Google earth
          shows the facing direction isn't very accurate; didn't measure the error. . Bruce Roe

          Comment


          • Here is the Nov progress report. Very favorable weather has allowed completion
            of the tilting array foundation and construction of the fixed base. 6 ball bearings
            will be mounted near the top and shimmed for good alignment. The array center
            of gravity will attach to the bearings, making tilt change much easier.

            PVpost shows the top of a foundation post, the L bolt was jig supported while
            pouring for best accuracy of position, height, and angle. The bolt and surface
            have the same 10% slope as everything else.

            PVTsup shows the 6 bearing supports lined up on my 10 % grade heading
            downhill to the right, north. The camera is tilted too. Surprised myself with its
            accuracy; everything just bolted together no problem. The front and rear
            supports are connected together by concrete and rebar at a 4 foot depth.

            PVsing shows a closer view; that yellow level is set perfectly vertical, to show
            how much slope there is. No earth movers or retaining walls required, the sun
            doesn't care. The minimum of dirt/rock was disturbed, using lightweight
            equipment. But I do need to be careful of bare spots and erosion. All the
            grass not directly over concrete is intact; the rest will be tended.

            The ever present black buckets serve a couple of purposes. Rocks that get
            to the surface get thrown into the nearest bucket. And a bucket turned over
            can be a seat for any tired retiree. Bruce Roe PVpost.JPG
            PVTsup.JPG
            PVsing.JPG
            Last edited by bcroe; 11-28-2017, 08:48 PM.

            Comment


            • Oft decried, but a decent beginner learning tool, the Horrible Fright kit is now updated to 100W, on
              sale for $1.50 a watt including a charge controller with readout and a couple lights for the 12V
              battery you must add. Bruce Roe

              After a break for required seasonal duties, am contemplating a design of the last primary component: the
              pivot point connecting the fixed base to the pivoting 24 panel mount. Snow has been very late this year,
              but now threatened. Bruce Roe

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                Oft decried, but a decent beginner learning tool, the Horrible Fright kit is now updated to 100W, on
                sale for $1.50 a watt including a charge controller with readout and a couple lights for the 12V
                battery you must add. Bruce Roe

                After a break for required seasonal duties, am contemplating a design of the last primary component: the
                pivot point connecting the fixed base to the pivoting 24 panel mount. Snow has been very late this year,
                but now threatened. Bruce Roe
                I have seen where HF have tried to step up their game by increasing the system to 100w. While the price per watt is much more reasonable I wonder what the life of those panels will be?

                Back on topic.

                Those are really nice support structures you have installed. Once the dust settles and I sell my old house I can focus on installing a pv system on the new homestead.

                Since I now have more than a couple of acres to play with it will be a ground mount. I will probably be asking a lot more questions concerning what you did on your install.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  Since I now have more than a couple of acres to play with it will be a
                  ground mount. I will probably be asking a lot more questions concerning what you did on your install.
                  Good, I still have plenty of questions here. Conditions are a lot different in FL. Bruce Roe

                  Comment


                  • Slow progress with seasonal events and the sub zero temps. But the tilting array pivots are built and
                    awaiting final alignment. The middle 4 bearings can be adjusted in one direction by sliding along the
                    mount surface, and in a perpendicular direction by slightly changing the attachment of the back tilt
                    braces. I expect nothing will move as far as 1/4 inch. After that, the tilting section for 24 panels can
                    be built up. Bruce Roe

                    VPpiv1.JPGPVpiv2.JPGPVSep17tst.JPG

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                      Slow progress with seasonal events and the sub zero temps. But the tilting array pivots are built and
                      awaiting final alignment. The middle 4 bearings can be adjusted in one direction by sliding along the
                      mount surface, and in a perpendicular direction by slightly changing the attachment of the back tilt
                      braces. I expect nothing will move as far as 1/4 inch. After that, the tilting section for 24 panels can
                      be built up. Bruce Roe
                      We finally got hit with a real winter storm, a foot of snow forecast, half that fell at this location. The array
                      snow slots are just a lifesaver in clearing that stuff.

                      Up until now winter has been mild enough for some slow progress on the tilting array. The 6 bearings were
                      aligned well enough I could see a light through them all. Maybe 3/4 of the section pictured on the ground
                      above, is now mounted in the air, just above my head when tilted flat. So close, but until there is a big
                      improvement in the weather, completion will have to wait. Bruce Roe

                      Comment


                      • I read your entire thread today, and would like to applaud your outside-the-box thinking. Your system may not represent the best value per dollar spent, but it is invaluable at showing the potential that can be realized if one doesn't constrain themselves to do things the way everyone else does just because "that's the way it's done." Optimum points are only eventually found because somebody pushes things to the llimit in a different direction and posts their results, as you are doing.

                        I'm working on an off-grid design in Missouri and also looking for a flatter curve but to maximize per dollar spent daily production. So what your doing is of some interest to me, although I unfortunately do not have the option of banking summer production for winter use, so I'm working on a much smaller scale.

                        Now take this with a grain of salt because I'm a newbie here and there is lots I don't know yet, but I wonder if your east-west IV curve (with no straight south facing panels) would be a flatter on top if your panels were facing slightly SE/SW instead of straight E/W. Idk, it might lessen output early/late on summer days when the sun actually rises/sets NE/NW of you, but it seems to me the increase on winter days when it better faces the rising/setting sun and in mid-morning/mid-afternoon in the summer would result in net gains without much noon-time clipping.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SupraLance View Post
                          I read your entire thread today, and would like to applaud your outside-the-box thinking. Your system may not represent the best value per dollar spent, but it is invaluable at showing the potential that can be realized if one doesn't constrain themselves to do things the way everyone else does just because "that's the way it's done." Optimum points are only eventually found because somebody pushes things to the llimit in a different direction and posts their results, as you are doing.

                          I'm working on an off-grid design in Missouri and also looking for a flatter curve but to maximize per dollar spent daily production. So what your doing is of some interest to me, although I unfortunately do not have the option of banking summer production for winter use, so I'm working on a much smaller scale.

                          Now take this with a grain of salt because I'm a newbie here and there is lots I don't know yet, but I wonder if your east-west IV curve (with no straight south facing panels) would be a flatter on top if your panels were facing slightly SE/SW instead of straight E/W. Idk, it might lessen output early/late on summer days when the sun actually rises/sets NE/NW of you, but it seems to me the increase on winter days when it better faces the rising/setting sun and in mid-morning/mid-afternoon in the summer would result in net gains without much noon-time clipping.
                          Thanks for the comments/questions, and good luck with your off grid design. Off grid of course requires a far greater
                          commitment of all resources, time and very high $ per KWH. Still an on going science project here, the right answers
                          in northern IL will not be exactly the same as in Missouri.

                          Off grid might flat out optimize winter production, summer is easy by comparison. Not as much so with net metering,
                          but the same idea could apply. Looking at my Solar Pathfinder at 42 deg Lat, it appears a straight E-W alignment is
                          a pretty good split of the sunrise/set angle between the longest and shortest days. Slightly favoring South is probably
                          better for off grid, you might run that experiment. The basic idea here has been to collect as much energy as possible
                          when the sun is not ideal, then change things enough to just stay in clipping any time the sun is good.

                          Yesterday was a sunny day, cranked out 93KWH from 15KW of inverters. Some would call that 6.2 sun hours, not
                          bad for early Feb here, impossible with a unidirectional array. Outdoor work will be mostly on hold here till the foot of
                          snow dropped last week goes away. Meanwhile looking at mini split heat pumps. Bruce Roe

                          Comment


                          • Progress on outdoor projects is kind of halting in Jan/Feb, but in some better weather I did get more
                            aluminum bolted in place on the 24 panel tilting array. Its horizontal, pointed straight up so I can
                            reach everything. But capable of tilting 90 degrees to straight up, should be great for a snow storm.

                            Still need to add a convenient tilting control and some back side bracing in the 3rd dimension, before
                            mounting panels. Bruce Roe

                            PVtilt1.JPG


                            PVtilt3.JPG

                            Comment


                            • Sorry to hijack a thread, but how the heck do I post a new topic?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by cnote View Post
                                Sorry to hijack a thread, but how the heck do I post a new topic?
                                Apparently the Administrator or Senior Moderator must approve your ability to post a new topic. Since I am a minor Mod I can't do that for you but I ask for your patience and you will be able to make new posts soon.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X