X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

As a 1st approx., all the irradiance hitting a panel that is projected into the plane of the array is either reflected or absorbed with the absorbed portion then either turned into electricity or rejected as excess heat to the environment via conduction through the frame, convective loss to the ambient air or radiation loss to the surroundings. All the energy is accounted for via an energy balance on the cell, panel or array. The amounts/%ages will vary as the panel and environment warrant to maintain an energy balance.
    In other words, you agree.

I am doing some model array testing, and rather than set up MPPT equipment, think I'll just measure the short circuit
    current which is pretty much proportional to Imp. I'll be suffering about a quarter more heating. Bruce
    Last edited by bcroe; 06-26-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

In other words, you agree.

I am doing some model array testing, and rather set up MPPT equipment, think I'll just measure the short circuit
      current which is pretty much proportional to Imp. I'll be suffering about a quarter more heating. Bruce
      Respectfully, somewhat, but not entirely. Under MPP conditions, there is still the reflectance loss so everything not converted to electricity does not get rejected as heat.

Assuming steady state conditions, whatever energy does not leave as electricity leaves either as reflected irradiance or gets dissipated as heat. A panel that turns 20% of the POA irradiance into electricity and loses, say, 5% off the glass from reflectance will reject (100-20-5) = 75% of the POA irradiance as heat. What goes in must go out for steady state conditions to prevail. If not steady state, the panel temp. will chance in response to the changing conditions until a new steady state is reached.

As Sensij notes under Isc, or Voc all the POA irradiance will be turned into heat or lost via reflectance (assuming steady state conditions).

Panels often perform less well under low irradiance levels so that will change the numbers under low light conditions from high irradiance levels.

Also, high irradiance levels, low wind and high(er) ambient temps. will also change the heat balance because their effect on panel temps., through the negative coefficient of power with respect to panel temps. That will lower electrical output and increase the portion of the POA irradiance that gets rejected to maintain the energy balance. The percentage of POA irradiance converted to electricity will never be the same from min. to min. for a variety of reasons.

FWIW, the amount and type of dirt on a panel will also have a slight effect on the reflectance, probably lowering it slightly, but not enough to make up for the irradiance loss from the dirt. That's beginning to separate fly crap from pepper however, and the stuff of papers for the journals.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Respectfully, somewhat, but not entirely. Under MPP conditions, there is still the reflectance loss so
        everything not converted to electricity does not get rejected as heat.
        Then, would you say the reflectance loss will change as panel electrical loading changes? Bruce

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Then, would you say the reflectance loss will change as panel electrical loading changes? Bruce
          No. The reflectance losses for glass used as panel glazing are f(glazing characteristics, incidence angle, nature of the irradiance). See Duffie & Beckman for details. Electrical loading has no influence on those things.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Here is a measurement question. Lets say a string (720 cells total in this case) has the inverter in clipping. The inverter will tell me
            the power delivered. I would like to look at the voltage, which will rise with clipping limiting, and estimate how much power is
            clipped instead of delivered. I could have a conversion chart of voltage vs % delivered/not delivered. To make this actually work
            the panel temperature would be needed to make a temperature correction. Bruce Roe

Comment

• sensij
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

I think you would also need to know how the current would change with voltage under those specific conditions; it isn't constant. Not an easy problem to solve.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

MODELING

The array here started as a classic SW desert design. In 3 years of studying
                performance, I have a list of things it doesn't deal with very well. Like, CLOUDS,
                SHADING, and SNOW. The thought here is to improve these things by changing
                the placement of panels. At this stage some model panels could be placed in the
                field to compare actual performance to ideas.

3 panels have been set up to model any new design over an operating day, starting
                in summer. Maybe they will still be there in winter. In fact about as much energy
                can currently be collected on clear day in April, May, or June; this seems to be
                because shadowing here increases as the sun moves north. The placement of these 3
                test panels will check for any remaining shading. Notice the locating stakes, measured
                out within inches. The angle of elevation is adjustable.

Output of a panel recorded over a day will give a curve of power vs time.
                Adding together these curves on an hour by hour basis over a clear day, will
                show how well total power output is (or is not) maintained at a fairly constant level.
                Some fine tuning of the orientation will be involved.

I didn't really want to bother with an MPPT control for each of the 3 test panels,
                representing the 3 tilts and locations of a complete array. I decided to just wire
                a shunt to each panel (0.1 ohm 10 watt), putting them in the shorted output mode.
                This will give a current nearly proportional to the MPPT value. Here is one plugged
                into its panel, with meter jacks. Power of a full sized array is just a matter of
                estimating the Vmp & Imp, multiplying them together and by the number of panels.

Here are some curves made on recent sunny days. Note the highest curve is the
                summation of the (1)W and (3)E facing panels, elevated 58 degrees on 13 June.
                The implication is that enough of these will produce excess power at noon without
                any help from the (2)S panel. The 17 June curve attempts to level things with an
                elevation of 61 degrees; the E-W sum is quite different for a small change. I'm
                considering just using E & W facing strings, but some winter curves are still
                needed. Bruce Roe
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bcroe; 06-19-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Here are some curves made on recent sunny days. Note the highest curve is the
                  summation of the (1)W and (3)E facing panels, elevated 58 degrees on 13 June.
                  The implication is that enough of these will produce excess power at noon without
                  any help from the (2)S panel. The 17 June curve attempts to level things with an
                  elevation of 61 degrees; the E-W sum is quite different for a small change. I'm
                  considering just using E & W facing strings, but some winter curves are still
                  needed. Bruce Roe
                  I hope that if you have the terrain / space for it, you aren't overthinking yourself out of simply putting as many panels facing south as possible. 3 east + 1 west might make sense off-grid, or *severely* inverter limited, but otherwise, putting them south will surely generate the most over the course of the year (especially with adjustable tilt).

Comment

• DanKegel
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Do any utilities incentivize morning and evening generation yet?

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sensij

I hope that if you have the terrain / space for it, you aren't overthinking yourself out of simply putting as many panels facing south as possible. 3 east + 1 west might make sense off-grid, or *severely* inverter limited, but otherwise, putting them south will surely generate the most over the course of the year (especially with adjustable tilt).
                      If its cloudy, it doesn't matter which way the panels face. Sunny, I'm already in clipping at noon, so more south facing panels
                      won't contribute. Anyway best daily sun here frequently isn't around noon. So I'll try to even out power, to minimize clipping
                      and maximize my "sun day". Tilt to vertical is in the plan for the snow months only. Bruce Roe
                      Last edited by bcroe; 06-20-2016, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

If its cloudy, it doesn't matter which way the panels face. Sunny, I'm already in clipping at noon, so more south facing panels
                        won't contribute. Anyway best daily sun here frequently isn't around noon. So I'll try to even out power, to minimize clipping
                        and maximize my "sun day". Tilt to vertical is in the plan for the snow months only. Bruce Roe
                        At the end of the year, one azimuth will have outgenerated any of the others. Most likely, that ideal azimuth is something very close to south, unless the cloud patterns are very strong and consistent. The outperformance of a south facing panel is not just during noontime, and even with some clipping, south can still outperform east or west (over the course of the year). With heavy clipping, it becomes more complicated. Certainly, over short periods of time, east or west could be better, but tools like TMY files can help narrow down the range of likely possibilities.

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

With heavy clipping, it becomes more complicated.
                          Exactly

tools like TMY files can help narrow down the range of likely possibilities.
                          My "tool" here is dependent on clear weather. But it includes things a pure simulation might miss, like temp or shade. Bruce

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

I don't really understand my graph on PVOUTPUT, under SUN HOURS. Sometimes they show a sun symbol on that EFFICIENCY
                            curve. It plots the number of KWH per KW capacity. Today the array managed 9 KWH/KW capacity, but it did't rate a SUN. How
                            much more can an array put out in a day?

I'm also not pleased that they keep changing the KWH scale, and its scaled so it never goes up up more than half the space. I scale
                            plots to fill the page. Of course they do it so that it never overlaps the EFFICIENCY curve (that I don't need), entirely above KWH. Bruce Roe

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              ButchDeal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Turn off eficiency if you don't want it.
                          • bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

I tried all the buttons at the top, but none listed a way to turn off EFFICIENCY. Bruce Roe

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

I tried all the buttons at the top, but none listed a way to turn off EFFICIENCY. Bruce Roe
                              Second bullet.... Random site in image....

Or were you talking about the daily view? If so click on the word efficiency to turn it off
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ButchDeal; 07-03-2016, 11:45 PM.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...