X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • champak013
    • Aug 2013

Price per Watt

Originally posted by takeastep
    Just started looking into getting Solar. What are the difference between the black and white panels other then color. Does the white panels have a better aesthetic look?
    Thanks
    I am new here --I had just visited Long island -New York. Where one friend had installed
    10KW --for a house for $50,000 --- its about $5 per watt

Comment

• frizzlefry
      • Dec 2012

Latest update on out X21-345s. Have confirmation that panels are expected to be on hand at dealer Oct 31 with installation to commenced the following week. We tried to switch to the 335s but lead time was going to be the same since inventory was backlogged on the 335 as well. Here's hoping to no more delays.

Comment

• foobar
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by frizzlefry
        I had 5 companies bid the project. I specified the new X21 series panel. Negligible price increase compared to E20. Suprising tidbit about the E20, no more black backing for future production.

Location Southern CA (Orange County)
        Utility = SCE

(24) Sunpower X21-345 Panels - 3 strings of 8 panels
        (1) SMA 8000US inverter
        System Cost = $37,100
        CSI Rebate = $1474
        Out of Pocket = $35,626
        Tax Credit = $10,687.80
        Incentive = $500 rebate after install complete
        Net Cost = $24,438.20

DC STC Rating = 8280 kW
        DC PTC Rating = 7685 kW
        CEC-AC Rating = 7377 kW
        CSI Rating = 7376 kW
        First yr production = 12,785 kWh
        Current annual usage = 14,200 kWh

Gross Cost/kW DC = $4.48
        Net Cost/kW DC = $ 2.95
        I'm also interested in this contractor info please. I can't direct PM due to being noob i have to have 10 posts

Comment

• mattwillruss
          • Jun 2013

Latest update on out X21-345s. Have confirmation that panels are expected to be on hand at dealer Oct 31 with installation to commenced the following week. We tried to switch to the 335s but lead time was going to be the same since inventory was backlogged on the 335 as well. Here's hoping to no more delays.
          Would like to have your installer information. I don't have enough post to pm

Thanks
          [url]http://tinyurl.com/qjjff6d[/url]

Comment

• mattwillruss
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Ionizer
            We had two Sunpower suppliers quote the same price (Price matched)
            We had a total of 11 System suppliers quote us:

OUR Final deal was:

Utility = SCE
            (24) Sunpower X21-SPR345E-WHT-D Panels
            (1) SMA SB8000US inverter
            System Cost = $36,500
            CSI Rebate = $1450 Estimate (probally a little high)
            After rebate = $35,050
            Tax Credit = $10,515.00
            Net Cost = $24,535.00

DC STC Rating = 8280 kW
            Current annual usage = 13,100 kWh

Gross Cost/kW DC = $4.41
            Net Cost/kW DC = $ 2.96

Concrete Tile roof / Through attic install with a change to 3 Vents (low profile)
            Pappered and double flashed.
            3 vents replaced with low rise vents below panels
            All wiring within structure and SBA mounted in garage.
            NO panel change out. Already at 225.
            25yr monitoring with 10 Yr. whole system/roof warranty.

Estimated completion is 9/01/2013 to 9/15/2013
            Ionizer, Can you past along your installer?

Thanks
            [url]http://tinyurl.com/qjjff6d[/url]

Comment

• flinstone
              • Sep 2013

Hi fizzlefry,

Did you ever get any answers from Sullivan about the CSI rebate? I'm leaning toward going with them for my system in Orange County, too. (It would be Kyocera modules since I've got enough roof area.)

And isn't a C10 license more inclusive than a C46, anyway?

Wow... 11 is alot. We're expecting our panels to arrive middle of Aug. It's been a long wait but hopefully this will happen soon.

I PM'd everyone that requested the info from this thread.... if it didn't go, don't know what to say. But I went with Sullivan Solar Power. They are primarily based out of San Diego but have remote sales offices. It was between them and a more Orange County centric company called Ameco. After I notified Ameco of my current offer through Sullivan, they wouldn't budge and came off a bit arrogant stating that Sullivan was "only a C-10" contractor and did not have a true "solar" license. Both are reputable from online reviews, but after my last email exchange with my contact at Ameco, I would rather not recommend them. Would I recommend Sullivan? Yes and no. Initial signing process was good, but I am still trying to confirm for the last 2 weeks with one person whether or not the CSI rebate was reserved. Searching on the CSI tracker site for current projects, I couldn't find ours listed. Don't know why.... anyone?

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

You can check the CSI yourself @

Do an advance search, done. It will shows "Reservation Request Review"..."Confirmed Reservation"...etc

Sullivan will not performace the job without confirmed reservation. That is before your pre-contruction meeting were setup. Once you signed the contract, you will get a piece paper tell you what to be expect during the solar project. If you have HOA, they will send you a HOA package to help you to get HOA approval. I just done that last week.

Comment

• frizzlefry
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by flinstone
                  Hi fizzlefry,

Did you ever get any answers from Sullivan about the CSI rebate? I'm leaning toward going with them for my system in Orange County, too. (It would be Kyocera modules since I've got enough roof area.)

And isn't a C10 license more inclusive than a C46, anyway?
                  Yes I did hear back from Sullivan. CSI rebate still stands at $0.20. There were a few issues regarding the paperwork that was submitted (used wrong name, did not include proper documentation). That was possibly caused by a couple back and forth documents. Granted they should have used the latest one and destroyed all previously printed ones, but it's a fairly common occurrence in my experience with contractors. Our house project, between the contractor, subs, architects, so much paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. Wished I had used Dropbox more back then. Anyways...

Regarding licenses, I wouldn't say a C10 is more inclusive. I recall that C46 can do the electrical work. C10 license testing does not test on PV systems. And there are many arguments that can go on and on between these two license holders. In the end, I would just look for a reputable contractor with enough PV under their belt, enough references to verify quality of work, and a good price. Regarding references, find an older reference so you can ask about issues that can creep up over time.

BTW, regarding Sullivan, they do offer $500 off if you are referred by someone. If you need this, send me your email address.

Comment

• PenguinSolar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

What Slvn doesn't tell you that they only file the CSI rebate for you if you're above 5KW AC system.

I was just shy under that so decided to just file it myself (money is money). So setup my own Powerclerk account, filed an application, gathered all the necessary info (same process as self-installer).

The approval is really fast once you have all the info in plus the reference document. Think if you self-file you go through the fast-track two step rebate process. Already got my rebate reservation confirmation and now just waiting on my pre-construction.

The rebate is good to claim for a year and can be revised by me if say something happens and I need to switch installers.

The only downside is you get it as a 1099 so the rebate counts as income. On the plus side I get to do the 30% tax credit against the FULL solar purchase instead of the net (minus the rebate).

Also did find that the rebate estimate that installers use in is lower when I actually filled myself.

If you file your own taxes will be able to file this rebate yourself. I'm actually finding my HOA more troublesome then dealing with the CSI rebate .

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by PenguinSolar
                      What Slvn doesn't tell you that they only file the CSI rebate for you if you're above 5KW AC system.

I was just shy under that so decided to just file it myself (money is money). So setup my own Powerclerk account, filed an application, gathered all the necessary info (same process as self-installer).

The approval is really fast once you have all the info in plus the reference document. Think if you self-file you go through the fast-track two step rebate process. Already got my rebate reservation confirmation and now just waiting on my pre-construction.

The rebate is good to claim for a year and can be revised by me if say something happens and I need to switch installers.

The only downside is you get it as a 1099 so the rebate counts as income. On the plus side I get to do the 30% tax credit against the FULL solar purchase instead of the net (minus the rebate).

Also did find that the rebate estimate that installers use in is lower when I actually filled myself.

If you file your own taxes will be able to file this rebate yourself. I'm actually finding my HOA more troublesome then dealing with the CSI rebate .
                      How long does it take for CSI's approval? My status still shows "Reservation Request Review". I found that Sul update my request on 09/11/2013 after I call them...

When is your pre-construction? Mine is on the 26th.

Thanks

Comment

• PenguinSolar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
                        How long does it take for CSI's approval? My status still shows "Reservation Request Review". I found that Sul update my request on 09/11/2013 after I call them...

When is your pre-construction? Mine is on the 26th.

Thanks
                        I got "Confirmed Reservation" the same day I submitted my self-application via PowerClerk. PowerClerk has the must accurate info but most likely you won't have access to your submission.

I did also looked on http://www.californiasolarstatistics.ca.gov/search/ and saw the same update.

For me I had to submit the signed contract that included both signatures and also conduct a self energy audit which I did online and print out and sign. Scan all those in and submit them as part of the application. Once I did that it got the confirmation right away. Here's the exact e-mail I got:

"Congratulations! This letter is to inform you that SCE-CSI-XXXXX has met the initial requirements for the California Solar Initiative (CSI) Program expedited 2-step application process. An auto-confirmed conditional reservation has been issued for your proposed Photovoltaic (PV) project. Details regarding your conditional reservation are listed below: "

Maybe because they need to file as a third-party (I filed as the PV owner) they have a different process.

According to Slvn they won't schedule the pre-con till the rebate confirmation so if they scheduled the pre-con they probably already got the conditional approval. Since they are filing for you -- you really don't need to care cause Slvn takes the rebate off your final price. Whether or not Slvn actually gets the rebate later isn't your problem.

Funny on their contract, they do have wording that if the actual rebate later is lower than the rebate they gave you, they can have you pay the difference. Whether or not they actually enforce is another matter (maybe off by $100 or so) but it's in their contract.

That reminds me I should follow-up with my prj mgr to see what's going on. I need the pre-construct in order for them to give the drawing so I can submit to my HOA, so in a bit of chicken and egg situation... my place has no satellite so they can't do the roof plans which are needed for HOA sign-off.

Sounds like you're getting close!!!

Still have my old installers chasing me down saying that Step 10 is running out next week.... but the latest stats show that it was leveled out quite a bit:

Wondering if people were just waiting to see what CA was going to do with AB327, now it's been settled maybe seeing an uptick although heading into winter maybe less people concern about solar. It's usually over the summer when people realize how expensive their bill is when they start thinking solar.

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

When you live in gate community, there is no Sat image. But, you can still use the blue print of your house. No sure if you have the copies, but I did ask the builder for copies of blue print of my house when I purchased my house new. My HOA is approved, so there isn't any problem as far as I'm concern. The only problem is the usage. My last 12 months were only 8300kwh, but year before were 12,000khw. I choose 6.63kW system right in between not sure if that will be a problem for CSI or net metering. my project manager told me it will not be a problem, but I'd to be sure there isn't any issue for my system. I did notice the part of contract about CSI, again I take my PM's word "no problem".... I did get my pre- contruction meeting, but CSi isn't confirmed yet. I guess I shouldn't have worry about it. How many panel did you end up with?

my neighbor talk with me few days ago after they see their last month bill, solar is a good choice.

Comment

• flinstone
                            • Sep 2013

Great info guys! I have the unsigned Sullivan contract in hand and you're already discussing answers before I even ask questions. My system won't be using SunPower, so I might catch up quickly on the install

Comment

• PenguinSolar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

When you live in gate community, there is no Sat image. But, you can still use the blue print of your house. No sure if you have the copies, but I did ask the builder for copies of blue print of my house when I purchased my house new.
                              Actually don't think a satellite from space will be restricted from seeing a gated community . The issue is I just moved a couple months ago so the google/bing/etc sat images are too old and just show farmlands .

Because of that Verengo wouldn't even speak to me... owell.. didn't go with them anyways .

My HOA is approved, so there isn't any problem as far as I'm concern. The only problem is the usage. My last 12 months were only 8300kwh, but year before were 12,000khw. I choose 6.63kW system right in between not sure if that will be a problem for CSI or net metering. my project manager told me it will not be a problem, but I'd to be sure there isn't any issue for my system.
                              Really only applies to the CSI rebate part. As that is the max credit they want to give you based on 12mo. There is a note you can submit as part of the CSI rebate if you need to clarify anything. If you're getting an EV for instance you can get a variance to go bigger. Should be okay, plus Slvn is fronting the rebate so not so much a concern since they already deducted it off your price.

I did notice the part of contract about CSI, again I take my PM's word "no problem".... I did get my pre- contruction meeting, but CSi isn't confirmed yet. I guess I shouldn't have worry about it. How many panel did you end up with?

my neighbor talk with me few days ago after they see their last month bill, solar is a good choice.
                              I got a small system so only 18 panels. Yeah dreading seeing this months bill with that massive recent heat wave! Installers must love that as they probably get the most calls after people see how high their electric bill is now .

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by PenguinSolar
                                Actually don't think a satellite from space will be restricted from seeing a gated community . The issue is I just moved a couple months ago so the google/bing/etc sat images are too old and just show farmlands .

Because of that Verengo wouldn't even speak to me... owell.. didn't go with them anyways .

Really only applies to the CSI rebate part. As that is the max credit they want to give you based on 12mo. There is a note you can submit as part of the CSI rebate if you need to clarify anything. If you're getting an EV for instance you can get a variance to go bigger. Should be okay, plus Slvn is fronting the rebate so not so much a concern since they already deducted it off your price.

I got a small system so only 18 panels. Yeah dreading seeing this months bill with that massive recent heat wave! Installers must love that as they probably get the most calls after people see how high their electric bill is now .

So true about Verengo,and here is more. After I told them I only interested in cash purchase and they never call back. All they do is trying to get me into lease again and again. I don't think they even want to show me their price. Smart move to increase the price and get money from Fed's 30% incentive. I think they must be 100% lease solar company.

All I can says is I should go little larger!!!! since the price is good.. ouch

Comment

Working...