Over the Internet battery bank monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the Internet battery bank monitoring

I know some charge controllers have built in support for what I want; but mine doesn't. I like to be able to monitor the battery bank charge from anywhere; if possible using my cell phone. Something that can allow me to set alerts, for example, if battery is at 60% send alert to my cell phone. Any suggestions?

1) Upgrade your charge controller, either Midnight Classic (via Remote App and ethernet), Morningstar MPPT 60 via ethernet

2) Mooshimeter bluetooth meter & app, and let the app go over the internet. (may have to ask for a new sw feature)
    https://moosh.im/wiki/index.php/Using_the_Apps https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Well i have a midnite classic SL 150 but it doesn't comes with an ethernet port for Internet connection. So I guess option 2 is what I'm going to do.

thank you Mike!

Comment

I take that back, option 2 is not doable. It requires AA batteries which means it cannot remain functioning permanently.

Comment

What about an internet wifi web cam pointed at a computer or the LED screen on the Charge Controller ... LoL ... I am doing that because I do not want to open up a port and a static IP address.
          285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

I am following this closely, I would expect that there is some sort of 3rd party option with shunt/volt meter that can sit on the network out there somewhere that isn't homebrew.

Comment

Also interested in configuring a solution to this that might work with the Schneider gear which I believe can do this if you have an internet connection (i.e., a conext combox connected via router and internet). Don't know about cellular, but we can use a higain antenna system on a public Wi-Fi type of system (ie no static IP address except via third party type solutions).

Lots of our neighbours have put high gain dishes in to connect to internet via a public Wi-Fi hot spot that's 3 nautical miles away over the salt chuck (water). Will be interesting to see how the Fresnel zones (variation of signal strength with elevation due to multipaths interfering constructively/destructively) affect optimum antenna height ....

Cheers - Solar Islanders

Comment

Originally posted by alamow View Post
                I take that back, option 2 is not doable. It requires AA batteries which means it cannot remain functioning permanently.
                But those batteries are good for months
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by SolarIslander View Post
                  Also interested in configuring a solution to this that might work with the Schneider gear which I believe can do this if you have an internet connection (i.e., a conext combox connected via router and internet). Don't know about cellular, but we can use a higain antenna system on a public Wi-Fi type of system (ie no static IP address except via third party type solutions).

Lots of our neighbours have put high gain dishes in to connect to internet via a public Wi-Fi hot spot that's 3 nautical miles away over the salt chuck (water). Will be interesting to see how the Fresnel zones (variation of signal strength with elevation due to multipaths interfering constructively/destructively) affect optimum antenna height ....

Cheers - Solar Islanders
                  I believe for the Schneider gear you are going to have to have a static IP. At least that is what Schneider told me.
                  285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

I wonder if anyone has had success with using the Schneider Combox for remote access without a static IP address using something like the free no-ip service or the $25/year DynDNS service which creates a static IP address via an associated domain name?

Surely Schneider could update firmware to get around the need for a static IP address as this is very limiting to the functionality and market for the Combox (which seems expensive for what it does .... :')

PS: Regarding providing non-AA battery power for Mike9025's "Option 2 Mooshimeter Bluetooth Battery Monitor": How about: a pair of dummy AA battery shells (i.e. wooden dowels with brass washers on each end) put inside the meter that are wired to an external ni-cad or other rechargeable battery, with a 3.2 Volt voltage regulator supplied by a small solar panel?

Using an independently grounded supply like this would get around potential ground reference issues that could arise from running the meter off the main bank with a voltage regulator driven off of the main bank . I guess that the meter's Bluetooth data would get relayed to the internet (somehow) by an old cell phone permanently dedicated to this task?

- Solar Islanders

Comment

SolarIslander I'll install a Schneider Combox next week. I have a satellite connection and my WiFi router is flashed with dd-wrt. I'll use a dynamic DNS service together with port forwarding.

Comment

Originally posted by extrafu View Post
                        SolarIslander I'll install a Schneider Combox next week. I have a satellite connection and my WiFi router is flashed with dd-wrt. I'll use a dynamic DNS service together with port forwarding.
                        The Schneider Combox does exactly what I want. But it seems that is compatible only with Schneider gear. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

The Schneider Combox does exactly what I want. But it seems that is compatible only with Schneider gear. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                          I think that's the case as all Schneider devices are connected over a Xanbus network to share information.

Comment

An ESP8266, two resistors and an account on something like Twitter. Job done.

Comment

Unless it runs off a USB output and you do some creative stuff and perform surgery on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X