Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did I save? How many kWh did we use last month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Residential hot water recirc. systems are energy hogs sold to ignorant people for the purpose of contractors making more money. There are better, cheaper and much more efficient ways to produce the same results.
    I've got one. It saves us a few gallons of water a day. And with water more expensive than energy for us, it makes sense.

Comment

There are point of use heaters that mount right under the sink or the floor in the bathrooms that kick on as soon as there is flow in the hot water pipe. Alternatively there are pumps with temperature sensor that bypass the flow out of the hot water pipe to the cold water pipe until the temperature in the hot water side hits a preset temp .There is lag in hot water but at least its going back into the water system instead of into the sewer.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
        There are point of use heaters that mount right under the sink or the floor in the bathrooms that kick on as soon as there is flow in the hot water pipe. Alternatively there are pumps with temperature sensor that bypass the flow out of the hot water pipe to the cold water pipe until the temperature in the hot water side hits a preset temp . There is lag in hot water but at least its going back into the water system instead of into the sewer.
        Yes but kind of violates the KISS idea, when you have several baths plus kitchen, laundry.
        Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          I've got one. It saves us a few gallons of water a day. And with water more expensive than energy for us, it makes sense.
          IMO, there are better ways to do both for a lot less money.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            IMO, there are better ways to do both for a lot less money.
            Absolutely. We could take cold showers, or cold-for-60-seconds showers. We could skip showers or take baths. But this worked for us, cost us very little, and saves about 600 gallons of water a year. ($4 a year, in other words, and the pump cost me $40, control stuff cost me $15.)

Comment

Working...
            X