X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by JanS48
    Greetings everyone, I'm finally making progress on my Solar Permit - the big obstacle was the PE stamp required for a Solar Permit in RI for the racking. In RI you need to have the PE stamp before you can even start to install your racking. The PE's visit is scheduled for later this week. The charge for this stamp and document is $ 600.00 - does that seem fair?

Panel installation: How close to the top of the roof should the uppermost panel be? Is there an acceptable measurement for this? I was planning on about 16 in.
    Thanks in advance
    Jan
    The RI PE is accountable for evaluating the existing structure condition, certify the structure condition and to certify the structure can accommodate all code design loads, etc, etc. This implies the PE has/will have a solar design (panels, racking, roof penetrations, etc.) to evaluate on your structure. A solar PE in your jurisdiction should know all the applicable code requirements.

Because my solar installation was on my pole barn and not a typical truss framed house, I had to have my solar project stamped by a structural PE in 2018 for about $500. $600 seems fair in 2023. PE's, just like people are different. Some PE's are proactive and talk with the county/city before they prepare your project; others prepare your project and wait for the county/city to red line their work and them make changes. I like a proactive project management style. In other words, they will think of things in advance just like what J.P.M. listed above (i.e. inspection, cleaning, snow removal, etc). Good luck!

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

@JanS48:

Phil is a retired M.E., and P.E (mechanical) as I am, but I was never licensed in R.I. and while I cannot speak for Phil, my guess is he isn't/wasn't (licensed in R.I) either but my opinion, FWIW, he's at least as qualified to offer opinions and advice on PV applications.
      So anything, at least that I say, is with that caveat.

Still, just like P.E.'s all over the U.S., those in R.I. have a responsibility to their profession, themselves and those whose money they contract for, to act professionally and produce competent work within only their claimed areas of competency so that all such work results in safe and fit for purpose designs.
      That's what you can expect to pay for.
      I'd only respectfully suggest you check for the P.E's claimed area(s) of competence.
      I've met a lot of P.E.s, mechanical and otherwise, who don't know much about solar energy and its quirks, particularly when it comes to residential applications.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-30-2023, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• JanS48
        • Sep 2017

phil and J.P.M. - Thanks so much for your comments - I'm so looking forward to moving on this project - I'll keep ya all posted as to the outcome.
        Thanks again
        Jan

Comment

Working...