Why isn't Storedge Interface available for HD wave inverters in USA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steeler.Fan
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

My Solaredge representative said today that Solaredge is not going to release a Storedge interface for the numerous HD-Wave inverters that is has sold for over 3 years in the USA.

It will soon release a new HD-Wave inverter that can be connected to a backup interface to which their new battery or LG Chem battery can be DC-DC connected.

Those of us with the older HD-Wave inverters will not be able to connect the LG - Chem batteries DC-DC.

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Steeler.Fan
      My Solaredge representative said today that Solaredge is not going to release a Storedge interface for the numerous HD-Wave inverters that is has sold for over 3 years in the USA.

It will soon release a new HD-Wave inverter that can be connected to a backup interface to which their new battery or LG Chem battery can be DC-DC connected.

Those of us with the older HD-Wave inverters will not be able to connect the LG - Chem batteries DC-DC.
      I have been following that as well and am disappointed. Did he give a reason? It seems like in California and Hawaii there would be a market for an AC coupling solution for the huge base of users that exist in those markets where rates. deteriorating NEM policies or power outages have created a market opportunity for others.

That leaves us with the option of AC coupling using a hybrid inverter or a Tesla PowerWall or one of the Powerwall lookalikes.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

He didn't explain or justify that decision by Solaredge to desert all of the HD-Wave inverter owners in the USA. Even if an outside party built a Storedge interface, it wouldn't work because Solaredge won't modify the US firmware to work with it. They have already developed those firmware changes for the Storedge Interfaces available for HD-Wave inverters in Asia, Europe, Australia & NZ. He said that the requirement for US inverters to have an integrated shutoff switch prevents them from making a Storedge Interface for US HD-Wave inverters but I don't buy it.
        I have complained to their support staff and have sent them at least 20 tweets complaining about this decision. Maybe if many more HD-Wave owners voiced their extreme dissatisfaction with this decision, they would change their mind.

Comment

• PugPower
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2019

Did SolarEdge make a official announcement in regards to this or is this all rumor and/or hearsay?

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by PugPower
            Did SolarEdge make a official announcement in regards to this or is this all rumor and/or hearsay?

I gave up fifteen months ago just based on the fact that no progress was made. California is a market where they had a large user base that would have been ripe to upgrade. I went in a different direction with a hybrid inverter that can AC couple. It was less expensive than an LG Chem battery anyway and gave me more flexibility. Since that decision the market in California for battery backed solutions has only grown and I have heard no news about their own storage option that was announced some time ago.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2013

I have a very hard time getting a response to calls to sales. My info was hearsy from a regional Solaredge representative.

Comment

Working...