Why isn't Storedge Interface available for HD wave inverters in USA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steeler.Fan
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

Why isn't Storedge Interface available for HD wave inverters in USA?

Solaredge (SE) Storedge Interfaces and Smartenergy devices can greatly help SE inverters increase self consumption and avoid unnecessary and costly exporting of excess solar power to then importing utility sourced power from grid at the horrible exchange rates. SE makes these devices available for their latest generation HD wave inverters in many different countries EXCEPT IN THE USA! Does anyone know why this is and when will this lunacy stop?
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Steeler.Fan
    Solaredge (SE) Storedge Interfaces and Smartenergy devices can greatly help SE inverters increase self consumption and avoid unnecessary and costly exporting of excess solar power to then importing utility sourced power from grid at the horrible exchange rates. SE makes these devices available for their latest generation HD wave inverters in many different countries EXCEPT IN THE USA! Does anyone know why this is and when will this lunacy stop?
    Because primarily most of the US has Net metering which is far more beneficial. All the devices are designed for 220 so some would be useful in the US but not as much as you might think as turning an outlet on and off for a clothes drier will not turn on the clothes drier.
    It would be far better to have things like smart thermostats and smart appliances work SolarEdge or better with things like ifttt type services.

As far as StorEdge, that is available in the US and has grid zero capabilities as well as all of the HDWave inverters currently available.

for others, the Smart Energy devices: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...-datasheet.pdf
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

Neither the SE load switching devices nor the Storedge interface is available for HD Wave inverters in the USA. I have called SE every month for many months and they only say that they don't have an availability date.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Neither the SE load switching devices nor the Storedge interface is available for HD Wave inverters in the USA. I have called SE every month for many months and they only say that they don't have an availability date.
        No the load switching equipment is not but it is also not standard outlets for US either.

all inverters can do zero feed in with a consumption meter and configuration settings.

the storedge inverter is most certainly available in the use, it is not in the HDwave inverter bit the last verson. It takes time to get all the UL listing and other verifications on a bimodal inverter so there will be an HDWave version of the storedge soon but the there most certainly is a storedge available now.
        StorEdge is an inverter not an interface and there are many installed in the US for. Few years now
        Last edited by ButchDeal; 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

Storedge can be integrated into an inverter when manufactured or retrofitted as a Storedge interface, ie sesti s1, s2 or s4. There has been a storedge interface approved for SE7600H-US inverters in Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe & South America for at least 6 months, probably longer. Why none for all of the HD Wave inverter owners in the USA and no anticipated availability date?
          There are SE load switching devices that physically could work with HD Wave inverters in the USA but they are likewise "not available yet" according to SE.

Comment

• JSchnee21
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2017

Most Storage solutions in the US these days are all AC coupled. That said, they are very rare when compared with Grid Tied solutions in the US. While Tesla seems to make one of the better products their product availability is very, very poor and installer network (which you must use) is very limited. There are other solutions as well from LG, Sonnen, Mercedes, and others. But none of these, save perhaps multiple Tesla PowerWalls, provide enough continuous 240V current to run your whole house. In most cases you'll need to separate your load side circuits into battery and non-battery,

As Butch said, Storage is just not cost effective in most cases. Save for some extreme California TOU examples.

You'd be much better served with a natural gas, propane, or even diesel stationary generator. A modestly sized one ~15-20kW can easily run your whole house, in the rain and at night, for days at a time.

Not very green, I agree. Not to mention the 10-20 second power outage during the ATS switch-over and genny spinup. But with NG you can run for days or weeks at a time -- unless you have major flooding or earthquakes. Of course, when hurricane Sandy came through our area, folks with stationary NG generators weren't prepared for the cost ($100-$400 per day) of continuous operation.

For example -- 22kW NG 1800rpm for $9000
            Buy Generac Protector RG02224ANAX Direct. Free Shipping. Check the Generac Protector® QS Series 22kW Automatic Standby Generator (Premium-Grade) w/ Mobile Link™ (120/240V Single-Phase) ratings before checking out.

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2013

My home is wired with separate backup circuit but battery backup not my main priority. NG not available & propane very expensive in HI.
              I need batteries to load shift and increase self consumption. I can produce plenty of solar but without batteries will have to export at 0.08 then import at 0.36. 0.28 net is better than 0.36 but self consumption is best. SE Soredge & load switching devices would be great help.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

My home is wired with separate backup circuit but battery backup not my main priority. NG not available & propane very expensive in HI.
                I need batteries to load shift and increase self consumption. I can produce plenty of solar but without batteries will have to export at 0.08 then import at 0.36. 0.28 net is better than 0.36 but self consumption is best. SE Soredge & load switching devices would be great help.
                you can install and use the StorEdge now it is just based on the SE7600A and is reated for HI grid zero.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2017

Or you could purchase any AC coupled storage solution and use it with any PV Inverter -- 7600HD, Enphase, String.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2017

BUT, keep in mind that Storage is going to cost you ~$10-20K and storage batteries are only warranted for at most 10yrs. Based on your load shifting savings, how long will it take you to break even?

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2013

NEM permits are no longer available in most sunbelt states.
                      LG Chem RESU10 batteries that can be connected to SE inverters are for sale on internet for $5,500 USD.
                      ​I paid $0.42 ​​​​​​in 2011 and rates were $0.48 a few yrs before that. With HELCO electricity rates currently at $0.32/kWh and feed in tariffs at $0.10, the payback period is not that long in HI.
                      It is inexplicable that the SE Storedge interface SESTI-4 for SE HD Wave inverters has available in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Europe for more than a year but not in USA!
                      Are they holding back because of their soon to be released battery?
                      I am committed to SE and have already purchased 2 HD Wave inverters (7.6 & 10 kW) and 60 power optimizers.
                      SE's refusal to provide any information on this matter is extremely inconsiderate to their many loyal customers who have purchased HD Wave inverters in the US and who want to add DC-DC coupled batteries.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Yes it frustrates me as well. Meanwhile Tesla has sold over 50,000 Powerwalls.
                        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2019

My question is what is the major benefit of the hdwave vs standard solaredge inverter? As far as I can tell it weighs less, costs considerably more and gets like a point and a half extra efficiency. It sounds like the hdwave technology was marketed as something intended to lower the cost of the inverters over time... it doesn't seem like that has happened.

Comment

• Steeler.Fan
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2013

From SE press release: "SolarEdge is upgrading its StorEdge inverter by transitioning to HD-Wave technology and providing a new backup interface. The new StorEdge inverter is designed to support connection to backup generators or up to three StorEdge inverters (StorEdge interfaces?) with each DC coupled to two batteries... The new StorEdge offerings are expected to be available in Q4 of 2019."
                            Does this mean that SE will finally release the StorEdge interface for HD Wave inverters in the US as they have previously in many other countries?

That would be exciting news for those of us with SE HD Wave inverters in the USA.
                            Last edited by Steeler.Fan; 10-07-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
                              My question is what is the major benefit of the hdwave vs standard solaredge inverter? As far as I can tell it weighs less, costs considerably more and gets like a point and a half extra efficiency.
                              The HDWave is smaller, weighs less, is more efficient, and costs LESS (not more).

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
                              It sounds like the hdwave technology was marketed as something intended to lower the cost of the inverters over time... it doesn't seem like that has happened.
                              It definitely has reduced the costs. You can NOW find older non-HDWave inverters for LESS because they are old and no longer manufactured but when both were available and new the HDWaves were cheaper.

Comment

Working...