X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by solarix
    FWIW, there is a mini-split brand by the name of "Mr Cool" that is aimed at DIYers. Unit comes precharged with special fittings so that you just plumb the lines together, then open the internal valves in the fittings and you are done. No HVAC serviceman required. Very simple to install. Limited to 25 feet between units though.
    I saw that, wonder if it was primarily for DIYers, or installation ease for all? Now
    wait to see if it becomes universal. I could not consider that for my units, the
    paramount consideration was their ability to operate at outside temps far below
    0 deg F. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Why did you not mount those Fronius string inverters next or close to the service and run high voltage DC to the inverters? Seems like you could have avoided a lot of time, expense and aggravation.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
        Why did you not mount those Fronius string inverters next or close to the service and run high voltage DC to the inverters? Seems like you could have avoided a lot of time, expense and aggravation.
        Good question, hope I have a good answer. First, there was already a 4 gauge feed from the
        shed to the house, which would be run at 75% of capacity with the inverters in the shed. If
        I had put the inverters at the house near the PoCo meter, I would have needed to trench the DC
        wires all the way to the house, doing this same trench in 2013 (when I had less experience). So
        I would still have had to dig the trench. Later I saw that my AC transmission efficiency was poor,
        and the very high line voltage (well above the legal limit) was going to cause alarms.

The DC wiring is still trenched from the array 230 feet to the shed, through a less difficult area. I
        was just as happy to have total control of this 2020 wire upgrade, as opposed to letting an installer
        do it. As usual, with the needed tools on hand, DIY reduces the cost to parts wholesale, I think less
        than $1K. Maybe I should add a few hundred for a replacement trencher belt, this one survived the
        rock but is pretty beat. The other thing is, I want the solar stuff completely separate from the house.
        For example there are spare inverters in the shed. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

Good question, hope I have a good answer. First, there was already a 4 gauge feed from the
          shed to the house, which would be run at 75% of capacity with the inverters in the shed. If
          I had put the inverters at the house near the PoCo meter, I would have needed to trench the DC
          wires all the way to the house, doing this same trench in 2013 (when I had less experience). So
          I would still have had to dig the trench. Later I saw that my AC transmission efficiency was poor,
          and the very high line voltage (well above the legal limit) was going to cause alarms.

The DC wiring is still trenched from the array 230 feet to the shed, through a less difficult area. I
          was just as happy to have total control of this 2020 wire upgrade, as opposed to letting an installer
          do it. As usual, with the needed tools on hand, DIY reduces the cost to parts wholesale, I think less
          than $1K. Maybe I should add a few hundred for a replacement trencher belt, this one survived the
          rock but is pretty beat. The other thing is, I want the solar stuff completely separate from the house.
          For example there are spare inverters in the shed. Bruce Roe
          Wow. I just spent about $1600 to DIY a 100amp U/G feed to a remote panel about 160 feet from my main one. One of the big costs was the wire at $800. The next was about $500 for the Sh 80 PVC pipe and fittings, about $200 for the trencher and $100 for the panel and 100A CB. I know I saved some money with DIY but staying withing code still cost me.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

Wow. I just spent about $1600 to DIY a 100amp U/G feed to a remote panel about 160 feet from my main one. One of the big costs was the wire at $800. The next was about $500 for the Sh 80 PVC pipe and fittings, about $200 for the trencher and $100 for the panel and 100A CB. I know I saved some money with DIY but staying withing code still cost me.
            I believe mine is entirely within code, but going direct burial cable eliminated conduit
            in the 230 foot trench, but required it to be deeper at 2 feet. That is more work, DIY
            for free. My 18 inch deep trencher was only 3 inches wide, I converted it to 24 inches
            deep but kept the 3 inch width. I believe that saved me moving a substantial amount
            of dirt, sometimes a bit close quarters, compared to a standard 4 inch wide trencher.

Using aluminum wire knocked the delivered price from close to $3K down to
            $650. I see this year it went up to $750. The 200A box next to the inverters was
            around $200. A 100A (huge, 4 position) feed breaker was repurposed from my old
            electric furnace feed. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I believe mine is entirely within code, but going direct burial cable eliminated conduit
              in the 230 foot trench, but required it to be deeper at 2 feet. That is more work, DIY
              for free. My 18 inch deep trencher was only 3 inches wide, I converted it to 24 inches
              deep but kept the 3 inch width. I believe that saved me moving a substantial amount
              of dirt, sometimes a bit close quarters, compared to a standard 4 inch wide trencher.

Using aluminum wire knocked the delivered price from close to $3K down to
              $650. I see this year it went up to $750. The 200A box next to the inverters was
              around $200. A 100A (huge, 4 position) feed breaker was repurposed from my old
              electric furnace feed. Bruce Roe
              Sounds like you saved some money yet kept within the code.

I looked at direct burial and AL wire but the guys who helped me convince me to go with pvc conduit under the house which saved about 60 feet. Also I could not easily find 100amp AL wire so went with the CU instead.

It all worked out for me and now I no longer have all those 50amp extension cords that were starting to see degradation due to the elements.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

In the dead of the night 30 JULY, my house lost power, my neighbors did not. Called
                the PoCo and was operational by sunrise, after they removed the dead raccoon and
                replaced the fuse. No solar generation time lost.

The more efficient wiring buried between my inverters and my house meter has been in
                service since 14 July. The loop of 600 feet of mostly direct burial 4/0 aluminum, some
                1/0 copper in the house, at 60A (250VAC, 15KW) is running nice and cool, unlike my
                original 4 gauge copper wiring. I am not generating any more power, but more of it is
                getting to the meter to be credited.

Since then partially cloudy weather has prevailed. Despite that my energy reserve
                buildup (for winter heating) is running at the second highest in 7 years. I was hoping
                with some good sun, to set a new record. But when the sun does shine, I do
                enjoy seeing my spinning disc reserve meter crediting me at 36 rpm. At night it
                barely creeps backwards.

Someone questioned the integrity of my direct burial 4/0 aluminum wire. Put in
                parallel with the original 4 gauge circuit, the current split just about the way it
                should, telling me there are no high resistance points. At night I opened the 4/0
                breakers at both ends to make insulation checks, after being buried a month.

My capacity meter says each wire is about 0.033 ufd to ground, that is fine.
                120VDC was applied to check insulation leakage current (AC would be impacted
                by the capacity currents). Voltage across a 1K ohm series resistor did not give
                a meaningful reading, I upped it to 100K. Both polaritys applied to each wire gave
                around 8 mv across the resistor, or around 0.08 micro amp plus or minus 20%.
                The resistance is about 1,500 megohms to ground. Power consumed over a year
                is about 8766 hrs X 2 X 120V X 120V X (1/1500,000,000 ohms) = 0.00017KWH
                per year. I am not calculating the power factor.

0.033 ufd gives 0.0015A reactive current from each feed to ground. No doubt
                some restive element in this element will add a tiny bit more loss.

Array wiring issues continue to develop. After 7 years the original cabling has been
                modified, added to, and just aged. I saw a couple wires on the ground BEFORE I
                hit them with the mower. It does appear, Bambi ignored my DANGER 400VDC sign
                and bit one, which was fatal though not affecting operation. So I set up my work
                lights, and under a black night sky revamped the largest, original section. Wires
                adjusted, tied down, a few needed to be shortened or replaced. The wire pictured
                apparently was attacked by a mouse inside a cable guide, but again did not affect
                operation.

Bruce Roe

WireInsulation.JPG

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I don't know how much nutrition they get out of that stuff but they persist. I found a dead mouse in my old service panel.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
                    I don't know how much nutrition they get out of that stuff but they persist. I found a dead mouse in my old service panel.
                    I have had a bad experience with a rat gnawing through Schedule 40 pvc sink drain pipe just to get some moisture but I still don't understand why a mouse would have the desire to gnaw on an electrical wire.

Maybe the electrical wire company should infuse some bad tasting fluid into the insulation. That may stop an animal from chewing on one.

Comment

• badwithusernames
                      • Jun 2020

regarding animals chewing wires, I have been told that there are certain brands of wire that come covered with what is essentially rat poison. I've seen a few fires from chewed wires and the idea is sound. A quick search yields little info, but I did fond this. Apparently some USE-2 wire is or has been available with it
                      Source: NEC RHW-2 in this table is listed, and it's the same as USE-2, which is an outdoor-insulated wire, recommended to connect to the ...

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle
                        .......... I still don't understand why a mouse would have the desire to gnaw on an electrical wire.
                        I have heard some electrical wire insulation is Soy base. It was a problem for my nephews car.
                        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• DanS26
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ampster
                          I have heard some electrical wire insulation is Soy base. It was a problem for my nephews car.
                          Rodents eating car wiring is not a small problem. Check this out...........

How vehicels can be damaged by rodents and why using soy in seats and wiring is dangerous

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26

Rodents eating car wiring is not a small problem. Check this out...........
                            Seems since the BIG OUTAGE, I no longer get email alerts to strings I thought I
                            was subscribed too.

Eating insulation seems to be a lot more interesting than insulation resistance. Can
                            the wiring easily be made a lot less tasty ?

Yea that link illustrates the latest ploys to force you to replace your car on a regular
                            basis. The latest Integrated Circuits use such fine geometry that cosmic rays may
                            knock out enough transistors after a while to kill them, probably that is why the first
                            Rover used a 70s 8085. All the intelligent solar equipment is probably in the same
                            boat, and there is no repairing a custom, short run, and unavailable IC.

Plastic parts went into car drive train, all these have been replaced on my 77. I do not
                            own a car containing a digital computer. Her new one is an electronic marvel, I am
                            overhauling the 2001 so it can come back to replace the 2020 when the electronics
                            become unmanageable. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Seems since the BIG OUTAGE, I no longer get email alerts to strings I thought I
                              was subscribed too.

.....Bruce Roe
                              I have noticed the lack of email alerts also and have passed that onto Solar Pete.

Comment

• bcroe
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2012

My latest PoCo bill shows a winter reserve built up to 13,000 KWH, running with my best past
                                years. I was sort of hoping for a week of good sun to make it the highest ever, but that seems
                                unlikely. Rather optimistic, since the heat pump in the car shop is now on line. I collect energy
                                all year, but the reserve usually usually peaks about 1 Nov, with limited sun and increasing
                                heating load. System efficiency is as good as ever, now with my peak AC losses over the long
                                run from the inverters to the PoCo meter at around 1%, and with even better efficiency under clouds.

With annual generation running near 20% in excess of consumption here, the thought is of adding
                                an electric water heater. The 3rd water heater I have had in 16 years uses propane I paid $1.09
                                a gallon for this summer, avoiding any winter purchases at up to a manipulated $5 a gallon. The
                                propane heater is vented, and I note cold air back feeding through it into the house winters when
                                not running.

To begin the trial, cold water might come into the electric heater, then feed the input of the propane
                                heater. If I got hit with a supper cold winter eating my KWH reserve, the electric water could be
                                shut down for a while. Perhaps if this proves to be a very rare situation, the propane water heater
                                will disappear.

I would like to limit the too frequent heater replacement, maybe a glass tank like marathon 40
                                gallon lifetime electric water heater would be the answer? I read of heat pump water heaters, but
                                in winter I would just have to replace the heat inside the house anyway, is that really an advantage?
                                There is always the thought of an incoming pipe running just under the quite hot roof peak in my attic,
                                but that requires either seasonal management, or the big complications of a system with antifreeze.

Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...