Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Bruce you said you keep a couple of Fronius 7.5 inverters as backups. I found a Sunpower badged Fronius 7.5 inverter on E-bay recently and went for it cheap. It came new in box both top and bottom unit absolutely spotless. Since Sunpower panels are/used to be positive ground I was a little concerned about the internal wiring in the Fronius inverter. But lo and behold it was still wired for negative ground. So into my parts supply area it went. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'll rip that Sunpower badge off if and when I have to hang it on the wall.

But I do have a concern about the shelf life of the capacitors in this unit. My understanding that these electrolyte capacitors have an 8 to 10 year shelf life is left unused. Does this concern you?

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
      Bruce you said you keep a couple of Fronius 7.5 inverters as backups. I found a Sunpower badged Fronius 7.5 inverter on E-bay recently and went for it cheap. It came new in box both top and bottom unit absolutely spotless. Since Sunpower panels are/used to be positive ground I was a little concerned about the internal wiring in the Fronius inverter. But lo and behold it was still wired for negative ground.

But I do have a concern about the shelf life of the capacitors in this unit. My understanding that these electrolyte capacitors have an 8 to 10 year shelf life is left unused. Does this concern you?
      I had not considered the issue of positive ground operation. That might affect the wiring of the
      1 GFI fuse on the Fronius, I have no idea how the inverter makes that change. Guess my array
      would not care if it was turned upside down.

The backups are labeled SUN POWER, and I can see some differences. They have a
      disconnect switch coming out the bottom, not on my originals at that position. Perhaps I
      should investigate more, even try running them one day. At least, I should not need to do
      any high line voltage setup, the PoCo has tamed it and local increase is quite small.

I believe the inverters I bought were newer than mine, still sealed in the box. In operation a
      switcher is really tough on the caps in the power conversion switching section, big currents
      flowing in and out at the conversion frequency. Have seen that in many constructs here. That
      is why some caps are rated for very low ESR. My Fronius are into their 8th year, running flat
      out clipping all day long whenever the sun shines, they each draw the line at 100W more than
      their rating. And at least keeping busy under clouds. So they have survived very well, but I
      presume they may have aged a lot more than the ones sitting quietly on the shelf.

When they do fail, I will no longer hesitate to pull them apart and see if DIY repairs are possible.
      My hope is to replace all hard stressed caps, being prepared to do the same later for the ones
      on line. Could be the failure will damage beyond repair. Meanwhile, I have one backup inverter
      mounted close by, all I need to do is move over the power wiring (conduit already connected) to
      put it in service.

Meanwhile we are FINALLY seeing a run of pretty much sunny days, a dozen more this month
      might set a record KWH reserve heading into winter. A bit over 100 KWH today under just a
      bit of clouding. Reserve is helped a bit by my more efficient AC power wiring, only 1% loss
      around a 600 foot loop. My DC losses are more than that at peak, but it does not matter since
      the inverters are clipping anyway. At reduced (cloudy) levels, the percentage wiring loss declines
      for both. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Capacitor shelf life
        As long as they are well manufactured and stay hermetically sealed, they should have a 30+ year shelf life. But if supplied by the lowest bidder.......
        Operating life is dependent on Voltage % of max voltage and temperature, well designed gear should run at least 10 years, maybe more. My XW just hit 10 years, and I have a spare in box ready to go.

Capacitor forming. used to be needed with old aluminum paste caps, started off at a low voltage, and slowly ramped up over a period of hours to re-form the oxide layer that insulates the foils. Modern ones don't need it for a couple years. Might not be a bad idea to fire up the inverter, applying the DC voltage over a period of a couple minutes, and let it idle for half an hour before you pack it away for several more years.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DanS26
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2011

I called Fronius awhile back about their SunPower badged inverters. Talked to a knowledgeable tech.....he said that the upper units are exactly the same as all similar rated inverters. The bottoms are usually wired for negative ground and are normally converted to positive ground at the field location for SunPower panel installations. The only real difference is the operator/installation manual put in the box to guide installers on how to wire for positive ground. Some factory orders will specify positive ground be made before leaving the factory but that specification only affects the bottom unit.

I found negative ground in the box so I have confidence that the unit will work when needed and without modification but I will probably only need the top unit anyhow..........if the capacitors are still good......

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bcroe

...............When they do fail, I will no longer hesitate to pull them apart and see if DIY repairs are possible.
            My hope is to replace all hard stressed caps, being prepared to do the same later for the ones
            on line. Could be the failure will damage beyond repair. Meanwhile, I have one backup inverter
            mounted close by, all I need to do is move over the power wiring (conduit already connected) to
            put it in service...........
            I couldn't help myself and opened up that big upper transformer box a few months ago just to see what was inside. Lots of big caps that I don't think one would want to short with screwdriver before removing. Bleeding those big boys off with a resister would make a lot of sense.

IMO very beautiful engineering inside.....I especially liked the active cooling design.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

I couldn't help myself and opened up that big upper transformer box a few months ago just to see what was inside. Lots of big caps that I don't think one would want to short with screwdriver before removing. Bleeding those big boys off with a resister would make a lot of sense.

IMO very beautiful engineering inside.....I especially liked the active cooling design.
              So, show us the pictures. Does it hinge open just like the bottom section? Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Generally, those big caps, are on the battery wiring, and the controller internals bleed residual voltage down in half an hour, which is why inverter cables spark at initial hook-up.

Being cautious is good, a 60W incandescent light bulb should bleed them in a timely manner
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Being cautious is good, a 60W incandescent light bulb should bleed them in a timely manner
                  Incandescents are more efficient bleeders, because the resistance drops as they cool
                  for near constant current. For our 400VDC stuff you might need this. Bruce Roe

PVtestLt.JPG

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

So, show us the pictures. Does it hinge open just like the bottom section? Bruce Roe
                    Here's a peek inside......dual MPPT.....hinge on side.

IMG_0684.JPG

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

. Here's a peek inside......dual MPPT.....hinge on side.
                      That looks great, I went and opened the cover of my unpowered standby Fronius for the
                      first time, and it looks just like that. Apparently 2 inverters the same size, I knew they
                      shut one down to increase efficiency for light loading. The whole thing made possible by
                      the development of the microprocessor (control) and power MOSFET transistors (muscle),
                      not to mention economical solar panels. I had used them and IGFETs, but now I guess
                      silicon carbide transistors or the like have taken over.

Just amazing how something that light and cool running can handle that much power.

I looked at the bottom section, looks like the fuses are connected to the plus red leads, so
                      I guess that means it is set for negative ground. I think this one came with fuses, my
                      originals had shorting slugs. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

. A non vented electric clothes drier would be the
                        other item, except they are pretty small. Bruce Roe
                        Today I see a 7.4 cu ft heat pump hybrid unvented electric clothes dryer, seriously considering
                        getting one. There have been small unvented ones, but this one is full sized. I always hated
                        blowing all that heat outside, and the vent leaks plenty of air the rest of the time. Whirlpool.
                        Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

I was wondering if anyone knew, how many revolutions of a spinning disc meter, equal one KWH?
                          My estimate is somewhere around 150 revolutions. I see a lot of calibration marks on the disc,
                          wonder if they serve for factory calibration? Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

I was wondering if anyone knew, how many revolutions of a spinning disc meter, equal one KWH?
                            My estimate is somewhere around 150 revolutions. I see a lot of calibration marks on the disc,
                            wonder if they serve for factory calibration? Bruce Roe
                            You're going to make me dig into my archives/notes. As I recall, there was a meter constant in the lower right side of the old dial meters that was used to find what you're looking for. Using that and a stop watch was a good way for me to get definitional info on steady state draw for appliances/HVAC equipment and even kill-a-watt meter comparisons. The numbers seemed to work out and make sense.
                            I'll root around and see what I can find. Give me a day or so.

As I seem to recall, my old rotary meter constant was 7.2 which meant that 7.2 Watt-hours of energy have been expended for each complete dial revolution - at least when it got manufactured. Your meter may have a similar constant. I believe the meter constants are often printed in the lower left (~ 4 o'clock) position of most of the old rotary meters. 7.2 is a common one for old G./E. meters but they vary a lot. I usually used 100 revs to measure appliance usage and did the measurement several times. The method seems good for steady state operation but is mostly useless for guessing at startup transients or power factor penalties.

For my steady state energy appliance use estimation, I checked the difference in dial rotation speeds/times with most everything in the house off at the circuit breakers, particularly cyclic appliances like fridges and measured the difference in rotation times 100 disk revs with a stopwatch when various "semi" known things got turned on like a 100 W incandescent bulb, a spot heater w/ 3 range settings, etc. and got numbers that seemed to make sense.

For things like the A/C w/ 2 electricity draws, I figured out the compressor and air handler drew a total of something like ~ 6,000 W at steady state conditions but, as I implied above, I don't have my notes handy. Anyway, I checked the air handler w/a kill-a-watt meter at 842 running watts. I have that because I had to replace the air handler motor a couple of years ago and I have a dedicated kill-a-watt meter on the blower it to record approx. A/C system run time.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-24-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                              . As I seem to recall, my old rotary meter constant was 7.2 which meant that 7.2 Watt-hours of energy have been expended for each complete dial revolution - at least when it got manufactured. Your meter may have a similar constant. I believe the meter constants are often printed in the lower left (~ 4 o'clock) position of most of the old rotary meters. 7.2 is a common one for old G./E. meters but they vary a lot.

For my steady state energy appliance use estimation, I checked the difference in dial rotation speeds/times with most everything in the house off at the circuit breakers, particularly cyclic appliances like fridges and measured the difference in rotation times 100 disk revs with a stopwatch when various "semi" known things got turned on like a 100 W incandescent bulb, a spot heater w/ 3 range settings, etc. and got numbers that seemed to make sense.
                              That is what I needed, thanks. I see my Sangamo meter (originally used on this 70s house)
                              has a 7.2 at 4 o'clock position, which would equal 138.88.. revolutions per KWH. My best
                              estimate had been 144, but not done with great precision. 138.88 would correspond to 35 rpm
                              (really honking!) when the array peaks and nothing else runs, just about what was observed.

I have also done the stop watch thing, but also used the Kill-A-Watt meter for totals on cycling
                              stuff (fridge). Have also wired a disc meter in series with a double breaker output for 240VAC
                              stuff. With several disc meters here from varied sources, guess I now have the means to check
                              them out. Bruce Roe
                              ENEmeter.png

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

That is what I needed, thanks. I see my Sangamo meter (originally used on this 70s house)
                                has a 7.2 at 4 o'clock position, which would equal 138.88.. revolutions per KWH. My best
                                estimate had been 144, but not done with great precision. 138.88 would correspond to 35 rpm
                                (really honking!) when the array peaks and nothing else runs, just about what was observed.

I have also done the stop watch thing, but also used the Kill-A-Watt meter for totals on cycling
                                stuff (fridge). Have also wired a disc meter in series with a double breaker output for 240VAC
                                stuff. With several disc meters here from varied sources, guess I now have the means to check
                                them out. Bruce Roe
                                ENEmeter.png
                                You're at least most welcome.

Unless you advise you need more info, I'll cancel my walk down memory lane with my notes.

Respectfully,

Comment

Working...