Building Reserve and Using KWH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

About all I have is the high temp for each day. Maybe someone recorded degree days. I
    can't reference one year ago, because the not yet discovered leak in my well was covering
    up the other energy uses. Best guess I have is the internal leak started about Dec, got worse
    for weeks till I finally figured it out. For the other years there is a range of usage, but this time
    I am under all of them.

Conservation wise, a lot improved 2010 to 2013, but the only notable thing lately is running
    a dehumidifier part time. Bruce Roe
    Thank you.

Just wondering if you had noticed any correlation between HVAC usage and daily/weekly/monthly (inside-outside) temp. diff., or correlation with other factors such as conservation measures.

BTW, Happy New Year.

J.P.M.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

About all I have is the high temp for each day. Maybe someone recorded degree days.
      My POCO updates a 30-day span online report each morning with the last day's activities. It 's a quick reference for graphing Net Energy, Generation and Usage. It also overlays the average temperature for the day. I can also view it by the week or by the year. Pretty handy reference to glance at while eating my bowl of oatmeal each day.

On the Net Energy screen you can certainly pick out a cloudy day instantly.

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

I do write down several numbers once a day, but not average temp. Inside temp not uniform and not recorded.
        I hate to think of what J. P. M. would say about my thermostat settings. The PoCo is trying to get me to have
        an online account with them, auto pay, but I am not playing. Bruce Roe
        Last edited by bcroe; 01-06-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=bcroe;n389644]I hate to think of what J. P. M. would say about my thermostat settings. /QUOTE]

Why? First and foremost, NOMB.

Besides, some of my cold climate thermostat shenanigans would probably make you shake, or at least scratch, your head. But I learned or confirmed a lot of book learning by doing stuff.

My sense is that you and I are about equally eccentric in residential energy matters but with different emphases. I think my ways of approaching the situation are more useful for more people, and, without being critical, I believe I'm better versed in cost effective ways to kill a utility bill and I think you leave money on the table ion that respect, but I feel that ignoring your experiential knowledge and/or what you write about with respect to the finer points of PV electronics and practical ground mounting is not in my, or others', best interests. I don't agree with you on everything, but I sure take what you write seriously and I believe you are sincere and well meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            I believe I'm better versed in cost effective ways to kill a utility bill and I think you leave money
            on the table ion that respect
            Pretty much right, different objectives. Bruce

Comment

Just read through most of this thread. Part of my job is installing Mitsubishi mini splits. Sounds like you did your research and did a good job installing. One thing: if you didn't use nitrogen to pressure test the lines, I would check all of the connections for signs of oil. Leaks can sometimes occur only under pressure, not under vacuum. If theres no oil, you're all set. When the refrigerant leaks out it brings oil with it and then evaporates.

I have 3 units at my house. (FH-15, FH12 and FH-09)
              Even though they're rated to -13f, I've seen them running at -20f. Great units! Just make sure you keep the filters clean.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben25 View Post
                Just read through most of this thread. Part of my job is installing Mitsubishi mini splits. Sounds like you did your research and did a good job installing. One thing: if you didn't use nitrogen to pressure test the lines, I would check all of the connections for signs of oil. Leaks can sometimes occur only under pressure, not under vacuum. If theres no oil, you're all set. When the refrigerant leaks out it brings oil with it and then evaporates.

Even though they're rated to -13f, I've seen them running at -20f. Great units! Just make sure you keep the filters clean.

Ben
                Seriously, it's nice to get some intelligent feedback from someone who sounds like they possess common sense and experiential knowledge. Thanx for the reminder/refresher.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben25 View Post

Ben
                  Thanks for the feedback. With welding and other gasses here, they did get pressure tested. A leak
                  was and remains my biggest concern, and great care was taken to avoid them. None were detected.
                  The below zero weather has not arrived, that will be the most serious test. Bruce Roe

OcHpN.JPG

Comment

Working...
                  X