solar problems/need guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim a View Post

found 1 hole so far. I am starting to dislike squirrels.
    after I got quote for roof repairs my attitude to them changed 180 degrees and I started to think about them as 'rats with fur' instead of cute animals.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

depends of the nature of the loss- if that voltage reading was taken under Vmp / Imp or in the area then yes, not much production loss would result. If it was Voc then panel could develop huge resistance somewhere but since voltmeter has high input resistance on its own it still shown some voltage. When put in string this panel wouldn't let any significant current through. Hopefully bypass diodes would still work.

I'd replace the thing after checking one more time and making sure it was not shaded during measurements.
      thank you

Comment

I had to temp. fix roof. the hole is between 2 rows. strange thing the roof never leaked.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post
          after I got quote for roof repairs my attitude to them changed 180 degrees and I started to think about them as 'rats with fur' instead of cute animals.
          And Pigeons and Seagulls are rats with wings
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Electric fences work; simple, I put up some here. Bruce Roe

Comment

finally have all the panels down. found another panel with low voltage. 15v. should I just leave the two panels out of two of the strings(1 panel per string) or use them?

Comment

finally have all the panels down. found another panel with low voltage. 15v. should I just leave the two panels out of two of the strings(1 panel per string) or use them?
                I'd leave them down, and balance the strings with the good panels.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

panels are up and working. thank you all for the support. I needed it. the system really dosent have any monitoring system. what would be a good one for the spr3200 sun power inverters, and what should I monitor? amps, volts watts? should I get one that keeps totals?

Comment

Note the operating voltage, which will rise predictably in cold weather but otherwise should be
                    pretty stable. With 2 similar strings, your clamp on ammeter should show they both put out
                    about the same amount of current. A significant shift could be a panel problem; I am wondering
                    what is with the 2 you pulled? I have nearly 2 million panel hours with no failures.

Going out to work on more electric fences now. Bruce Roe

Comment

can the solar panels have the correct voltage and produce none or little amps?

Comment

if there's not much sunlight falling on it- sure.

Comment

Yes, at early dawn hours, even a little bit of light produces nearly full voltage, but the Amount of light produces the Amps. So pre-dawn, when cold, panels produce their highest voltage (Voc) before the controller can awake and make use of the the power.

If that morning voltage is higher than the controller spec, the high voltage (lo amps) fries the controller. That's why most controllers have a Panel String Calculator to determine the max # of panels in a string

Comment

thanks foe the response. the reason I asked the question is the inverters have 250- 340 depending on the sun but with a clamp meter I am getting a very low amp reading., .04 amps and on each inverter panel it is reading( approx. - 84 watts.) the the electric meter still is going forward. this never changes always negative watts and meter always runs forward. even during the hottest time of day.
                            Last edited by tim a; 08-19-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

thanks foe the response. the reason I asked the question is the inverters have 250- 340 depending on the sun but with a clamp meter I am getting a very low amp reading., .04 amps and on each inverter panel it is reading( approx. - 84 watts.) the the electric meter still is going forward. this never changes always negative watts and meter always runs forward. even during the hottest time of day.
                              your clamp meter reading seems to be x7 times off: 84W / 300V = 0.28A, this is way too much for normal measurement error.

Can you provide more details how/where did you put it and post some pic/model # of the meter? Could you also clarify what did you mean by 'always negative watts'?

Comment

So, it sounds like the string is at heathy voltage, but the inverter isn't getting past its self test and actually making power. The -84 W on the inverter display doesn't sound good... As though it is drawing power from the grid, not generating it. All three doing the same thing is kind of weird... Could 84 be an error code? I'm not someplace I can look at the manual easily.
                                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                                X