X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tim a
    yeah I have a rms clamp meter. so I didn't know you could short the panel. that's the way ill go then. thanks
    Ok. It may be obvious, but just to make sure it is said... the clamp meter needs to have DC current measurement capability. Some are just AC current only.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

bcroe you are correct with your advice and I thank you for it. i as far as thr gfi fault i followed it, that's how i found the 3 problems so far.have worked on dc power plants from -48v, +24v, up to 10,000 amps for last 37 years. I might not know the system but I do know caution. i found 3 faults so far, one bad connector and looks like some animal ate the insulation off the other 2. and that's only after going through 20% I'm thinking about a cage around all the panels to stop the critters
      OK, thanks for confirming you did track down wiring problems; from your description above, it
      would be advised to check 100% of your wiring for damage. Again keep in mind, these voltages
      are far more dangerous than the sort of potential we in the phone and related bus encountered.

Critters can be a problem, I have been lucky to suffer no damage with a ground mount; raccoons,
      turkeys, ground squirrels, and many others inhabiting the area. It will not be a surprise the day I
      find a cooked deer in my array.

Once your wiring is fully repaired and still isolated from inverters, you should not be able to draw
      any kind of voltage from any array lead to ground. My low impedance tester is several 75 bulbs in
      series, which draws off any static charges. And draws a nice (controlled) arc when current flows.

Your MC4s are low quality, non precious metal connectors which will not tolerate much abuse.
      Don't leave them exposed to the elements, they quickly oxidize. Don't interrupt current with
      them, not even for a single low voltage panel. Instead make a test circuit with your meter and
      a switch. Plug this into the panel AND THEN close the switch to make a current reading. Open
      the switch and move on. This will allow you to grind off the latches on your MC4 test connectors
      to save a lot of test time.

Don't try this for multiple panels in series, as it will arc the switch to destruction. Only a large
      high voltage DC disconnect can handle this, and doing it very many times will soon wear
      it out; I consider it for emergency or nighttime use only.

As for measuring current, inserting a meter in a high current DC circuit is a lot more difficult
      than it appears on the blackboard. My advice is get a nice DC clamp on ammeter, a very
      useful tool around PV. Otherwise put a shunt resistor in the circuit (could be permanent)
      and use your sensitive DVM to measure the voltage across the shunt. You can measure
      the current of an entire string as well as one panel, but you will only be able to make one
      measurement a day, moving the test connection at night. Bruce Roe
      Last edited by bcroe; 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

yeah I have a rms clamp meter. so I didn't know you could short the panel. that's the way ill go then. thanks
        panel normally is source of current so it tolerates being shorted very well. bcroe even recommends to do this on outside installations to keep connectors protected from weather. If you think about it panel doesn't 'produce' the energy it can only 'shorten' less than 20% of what already fell on it anyway.

Something is up with your meter- can you connect it to 1.5V AA battery for a second? It should give you 1-3 A current.
        Last edited by max2k; 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• tim a
          • Jul 2017

that worked thanks

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

yeah I did that to one panel, 40 vdc but 0 amps, these are 12 year old panels. its suppose to be 40v and 5.25 amp per panel
            Please be careful about connecting your series ampmeter, even to a single panel. 40V is a really stout arc welding voltage and will easily damage the MC connectors

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• tim a
              • Jul 2017

I will mike, thanks

Comment

• tim a
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bcroe

OK, thanks for confirming you did track down wiring problems; from your description above, it
                would be advised to check 100% of your wiring for damage. Again keep in mind, these voltages
                are far more dangerous than the sort of potential we in the phone and related bus encountered.

Critters can be a problem, I have been lucky to suffer no damage with a ground mount; raccoons,
                turkeys, ground squirrels, and many others inhabiting the area. It will not be a surprise the day I
                find a cooked deer in my array.

Once your wiring is fully repaired and still isolated from inverters, you should not be able to draw
                any kind of voltage from any array lead to ground. My low impedance tester is several 75 bulbs in
                series, which draws off any static charges. And draws a nice (controlled) arc when current flows.

Your MC4s are low quality, non precious metal connectors which will not tolerate much abuse.
                Don't leave them exposed to the elements, they quickly oxidize. Don't interrupt current with
                them, not even for a single low voltage panel. Instead make a test circuit with your meter and
                a switch. Plug this into the panel AND THEN close the switch to make a current reading. Open
                the switch and move on. This will allow you to grind off the latches on your MC4 test connectors
                to save a lot of test time.

Don't try this for multiple panels in series, as it will arc the switch to destruction. Only a large
                high voltage DC disconnect can handle this, and doing it very many times will soon wear
                it out; I consider it for emergency or nighttime use only.

As for measuring current, inserting a meter in a high current DC circuit is a lot more difficult
                than it appears on the blackboard. My advice is get a nice DC clamp on ammeter, a very
                useful tool around PV. Otherwise put a shunt resistor in the circuit (could be permanent)
                and use your sensitive DVM to measure the voltage across the shunt. You can measure
                the current of an entire string as well as one panel, but you will only be able to make one
                measurement a day, moving the test connection at night. Bruce Roe
                thank you for the information. I will use it. I found another group of bare wires today already. and yes every panel and wire leading to them will be checked. is it worth to put up a squirrel cage around the array?

Comment

• max2k
                  • May 2015

thank you for the information. I will use it. I found another group of bare wires today already. and yes every panel and wire leading to them will be checked. is it worth to put up a squirrel cage around the array?
                  you need to get rid of them completely- they tend to populate attics and in order to do that they must make holes in your roof. You can buy special trap cage for them and after they got caught drive them out of town to nearby forest / whatever where they belong. In terms of climbing I saw them hanging comfortably on a vertical brick wall or climbing upper part of the roof under negative angle. I don't think anything less than electric fence will deter them .

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by max2k

you need to get rid of them completely- they tend to populate attics and in order to do that they must make holes in your roof. You can buy special trap cage for them and after they got caught drive them out of town to nearby forest / whatever where they belong. In terms of climbing I saw them hanging comfortably on a vertical brick wall or climbing upper part of the roof under negative angle. I don't think anything less than electric fence will deter them .
                    I don't know but I think cats and hawks are pretty good at eliminating squirrels.

Comment

• tim a
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by max2k

found 1 hole so far. I am starting to dislike squirrels.

Comment

• tim a
                        • Jul 2017

I found 1 panel so far with a 27.8v (should be 40v) should I leave or look for a replacement? it is in a string of 7 in series and two 7 strings in parallel

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

I found 1 panel so far with a 27.8v (should be 40v) should I leave or look for a replacement? it is in a string of 7 in series and two 7 strings in parallel
                          You are measuring open circuit voltage? With 7 in series, that voltage loss isn't going to hurt the overall performance much, but if there is an internal short, it could be a safety hazard.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• max2k
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

I don't know but I think cats and hawks are pretty good at eliminating squirrels.
                            cats- not much, those critters outrun them easily especially on the verticals . My cat was a hunter but he couldn't catch even single one of those. They actually had a nerve and were teasing him on regular basis. The cat was able to catch a bird in one jump if it was stupid enough to fly over too low over him but not a single squirrel.
                            Last edited by max2k; 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• max2k
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by sensij

You are measuring open circuit voltage? With 7 in series, that voltage loss isn't going to hurt the overall performance much, but if there is an internal short, it could be a safety hazard.
                              depends of the nature of the loss- if that voltage reading was taken under Vmp / Imp or in the area then yes, not much production loss would result. If it was Voc then panel could develop huge resistance somewhere but since voltmeter has high input resistance on its own it still shown some voltage. When put in string this panel wouldn't let any significant current through. Hopefully bypass diodes would still work.

I'd replace the thing after checking one more time and making sure it was not shaded during measurements.

Comment

• tim a
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by sensij

thank you

Comment

Working...