solar problems/need guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim a View Post
    they said if a panel is bad they will warranty it, and said they can change the system over from a positive ground system. they gave me a list of 5 companies.
    it would be interesting to see how much one of those 5 companies would quote you as I understand they'd have to charge for labor + inverter + any other thing they need to do to bring it up to the current code. Would this be more than going with non-SP install 'from scratch' given you already have rails and wiring down to inverter.

Comment

I've found That Sunpower panels are a hot commodity in the used panel market. That could help finance a new system.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

i have the Canadian solar panels on my motor home and I think there are great ( 2 years ago 310 watts for $149.00). if I had to replace the system I would go with them and the sma invertors.

Comment

Welcome @tim a,

Here in NJ, Green Power Energy is a very reputable dealer that is both Sun Power certified and services a lot of pre-existing systems from other vendors that have gone under. I'm sure there are other fine vendors in NJ as well, but I had a very positive experience with GPE for my newly installed system.

If you're interested, I'd suggest reaching out to Tim below, he's very responsive.

Tim DeSevo / Vice President of Residential Sales
          tdesevo@greenpowerenergy.com / 908.692.0615

Green Power Energy
          Office: 908.713.9055 / Fax: 908.713.4718
          47 East Street
          Annandale, NJ 08801
          www.GreenPowerEnergy.com

Good luck,
          Jonathan

Comment

can amps be measured on a single solar panel disconnected? using an amp meter connecting the amp meter to the + and - on the panel I thought I would get a short circuit reading. I am reading 0.0 or should I just worry about the volts?
            Last edited by tim a; 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
              Welcome @tim a,

Here in NJ, Green Power Energy is a very reputable dealer that is both Sun Power certified and services a lot of pre-existing systems from other vendors that have gone under. I'm sure there are other fine vendors in NJ as well, but I had a very positive experience with GPE for my newly installed system.

If you're interested, I'd suggest reaching out to Tim below, he's very responsive.

Tim DeSevo / Vice President of Residential Sales
              tdesevo@greenpowerenergy.com / 908.692.0615

Green Power Energy
              Office: 908.713.9055 / Fax: 908.713.4718
              47 East Street
              Annandale, NJ 08801
              www.GreenPowerEnergy.com

Good luck,
              Jonathan
              ill keep them in mind. thanks

Comment

thanks for that info JSchnee21

Comment

can amps be measured on a single solar panel disconnected?
                  of course- you just connect amperemeter to it (or multimeter in amperemeter mode) with sufficient range. Since this is DC there will be a little arching from single panel so try not to play with this for too long and connect/disconnect quickly. Modern >300W panel in full sun can produce up to 10A current. Please don't try to do this for more than single panel- while current will be the same arching due to higher voltage will damage connectors.

Comment

can amps be measured on a single solar panel disconnected? using an amp meter connecting the amp meter to the + and - on the panel I thought I would get a short circuit reading. I am reading 0.0 or should I just worry about the volts?
                    You are working on a potentially very dangerous system. If you don't understand the basic
                    steps, perhaps a repair service should be brought in. You already have a known (GFI) fault
                    which I told you how to approach, and you ignored that. Bruce Roe

Comment

bcroe you are correct with your advice and I thank you for it. i as far as thr gfi fault i followed it, that's how i found the 3 problems so far.have worked on dc power plants from -48v, +24v, up to 10,000 amps for last 37 years. I might not know the system but I do know caution. i found 3 faults so far, one bad connector and looks like some animal ate the insulation off the other 2. and that's only after going through 20% I'm thinking about a cage around all the panels to stop the critters
                      Last edited by tim a; 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

of course- you just connect amperemeter to it (or multimeter in amperemeter mode) with sufficient range. Since this is DC there will be a little arching from single panel so try not to play with this for too long and connect/disconnect quickly. Modern >300W panel in full sun can produce up to 10A current. Please don't try to do this for more than single panel- while current will be the same arching due to higher voltage will damage connectors.
                        yeah I did that to one panel, 40 vdc but 0 amps, these are 12 year old panels. its suppose to be 40v and 5.25 amp per panel
                        Last edited by tim a; 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

yeah I did that to one panel, 40 vdc but 0 amps
                          Were you measuring short circuit current? DC- lead from the panel to the DC-/COM input of your meter, DC+ lead to the Amps input of your meter (assuming your meter has a 10 A input jack).
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Were you measuring short circuit current? DC- lead from the panel to the DC-/COM input of your meter, DC+ lead to the Amps input of your meter (assuming your meter has a 10 A input jack).
                            yes and it has the 10a jack. same on all the panels I checked so far. now the panels I checked so far are all on the same two strings that went to the inverter that had the blown gfi fuse. could they all be bad? but yet the voltages are fine. it could be the meter but long shot.
                            Last edited by tim a; 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

yes and it has the 10a jack. same on all the panels I checked so far. now the panels I checked so far are all on the same two strings that went to the inverter that had the blown gfi fuse. could they all be bad? but yet the voltages are fine. it could be the meter but long shot.
                              Yeah, sounds like you need to double check your meter against a known current, or double check the fuse inside isn't blown. Do you have access to a clamp on meter? Then you could just directly short the panel's DC- and DC+ leads, and measure with the clamp.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

yeah I have a rms clamp meter. so I didn't know you could short the panel. that's the way ill go then. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X