No announcement yet.

Solaredge Consumption Meter - display problem on dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering if this was ever resolved. I just installed my system in March 2016, and am trying to get consumption monitoring work. SolarEdge seems to think it should work, currently it is not connected correctly, and am having that fixed. Hoping that this does work in the US. I am in So California.
    I would like to be able to see this on the monitoring site. According to SolarEdge, it should look like this picture. See attached....

Comment

Originally posted by malibu3105 View Post
      Just wondering if this was ever resolved. I just installed my system in March 2016, and am trying to get consumption monitoring work. SolarEdge seems to think it should work, currently it is not connected correctly, and am having that fixed. Hoping that this does work in the US. I am in So California.
      I would like to be able to see this on the monitoring site. According to SolarEdge, it should look like this picture. See attached....
      I am the original poster. I just came back to this thread to see if there had been any resolution. Unfortunately, it seems the answer is NO - I do not see self-consumption on any of my dashboards (the web portal or on the mobile apps, now that they show consumption).

- Is there a configuration setting somewhere on the inverter?
      - In the original discussion, it seemed that it was a problem on the solaredge side - that their calculation (in the US only) didn't account for self-consumption... though people with residential systems elsewhere in world report it shows correctly.

Frustrating...

Here's what I currently see:
      solaredge-self-consumption-5may16.png

Last edited by BluePhoton; 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM.

Comment

At least you have something. My installer connected the consumption meter wrong, so I have no history or graphs of any kind. Now I have to contact SolarEdge direct, get my login changed so I have full access, and then rewire the correct way. If I can figure it out. I'm frustrated that my installer made promises and then just left me to fend for myself. But I suppose I was naive to assume they would do all they said.

Comment

My guess is the green is solar production. Red is the meter running into the house (consumption). You're not getting blue readings (how much of meter is used internally) makes me wonder if the inverter is reporting production (and modulator does simple math on what it's sending out minus the production).

Comment

Originally posted by BluePhoton View Post

I am the original poster. I just came back to this thread to see if there had been any resolution. Unfortunately, it seems the answer is NO - I do not see self-consumption on any of my dashboards (the web portal or on the mobile apps, now that they show consumption).

- Is there a configuration setting somewhere on the inverter?
            - In the original discussion, it seemed that it was a problem on the solaredge side - that their calculation (in the US only) didn't account for self-consumption... though people with residential systems elsewhere in world report it shows correctly.

Frustrating...

Here's what I currently see:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n313935[/ATTACH]
            clearly the red is NET with the negative clipped, and not consumption as it should be.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by malibu3105 View Post

Malibu,
              I have a Solaredge 7600 and am thinking of purchasing the CCS Wattnode Modbus consumption meter to hook up to my system. Have you had any luck with getting your consumption monitor working?

Comment

Well, I guess OP is no longer active. I have the opposite problem - my night time consumption is not detected.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  ButchDeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That does not look like consumption. It looks like feed in but configured as consumption. I beleive your meeter is configured incorrectly here.

I can see that the graph looks that way, however my CTs are over my 2 incoming hot wires and the meter is set to consumption in the inverter. Should it be set to something else?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  ButchDeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes if the CTs are on the grid side of the MSP and your inverter is connected in the MSP then it is net not consumption. If you have a line side tap then it would be consumption but that wouldn't fit the graph.

The inverter is not connected in the MSP except with backfed breakers. I believe the main connection is outside of the MSP ( between MSP and the utility co's Net meter.)

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  ButchDeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok so if you do have line side tap and the CTs are closer to the MSP then it is consumption. but that doesn't seem to match the graph.
                  I don't know what you mean by " except with back feed breakers" as that would imply no line side tap.

The only possibility I see is that I need to configure it as feed in + purchased, which reads out in the portal as 2 separate meters. I think what this does is make the meter output phase A and B separately. A previous poster recommended this configuration, but it does not make sense to me logically. Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  ButchDeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Feed in + purchased is NET. This is likely what you have physically wired if PV is in the MSP as stated.

Ah, solved it! Feed in = export (grid feed-in). Purchased = import. ButchDeal, you were right, after staring at a number of wiring diagrams, I realized that the generated AC is fed through the backfeed breakers and bypasses the 2 incoming hot wires. So the CTs over the hot wires reads purchased energy when current runs in one direction and exported energy when it runs the other way.

Also, to read correctly, I had to reverse the wiring on the CTs. To calculate consumption and self-consumption, and make it show up in the monitoring portal, you have to enable Energy Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by eah123 View Post
                  Ah, solved it! Feed in = export (grid feed-in). Purchased = import. ButchDeal, you were right, after staring at a number of wiring diagrams, I realized that the generated AC is fed through the backfeed breakers and bypasses the 2 incoming hot wires. So the CTs over the hot wires reads purchased energy when current runs in one direction and exported energy when it runs the other way.

Also, to read correctly, I had to reverse the wiring on the CTs. To calculate consumption and self-consumption, and make it show up in the monitoring portal, you have to enable Energy Manager.

eah123 - Great that you now seem to have it working: Gives me hope that it can finally be resolved.

A few questions:
                  - Are you in the United States? (Back in November, SolarEdge told my installer that this feature was not enabled in North America)
                  - Are you an end-user? Or an installer?
                  - Were you able to rewire yourself? Or is it something an installer should do?
                  - Is "Energy Manager" available in the consumer portal? Or is this something the installer has to configure? (I don't see the option)

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I'm in the USA. I'm an end-user, not an installer. I did all the wiring for the meter myself. It's easy, just need to be smart and not touch the hot wires.

Based on the information in your original post, I believe your CT's are wired correctly.

The Energy Manager is configured in the inverter. You do need to take off the cover of the top part in order to access the menu buttons. Hold down "Enter", enter the default password (12312312). Main menu->Power Control->Energy Manager
                    To activate: Limit Control -> Control Mode -> Export Control
                    Site Limit should stay as <-> (no limit)

Make sure the meter mode is set as Feed-in + Purchased.

Main menu->Communication->RS485-1 Conf->Revenue Meter->Meter Func.->Feed-in + Purchased

I figured it out after reading this in the meter installation manual:
                    Calculated meter readings, such as self-consumption, are calculated using the data measured by the meter and the inverters. Calculated meters are only sent when Energy Manager is enabled (for details refer to http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/...in_limitation_ application_note.pdf).
                    At some point, the terminology in the firmware was changed from Export+Import to Feed-in+Purchased!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eah123
                      Yes, I'm in the US, and an end-user. I did the wiring myself. It's not too hard, just shut all power off and avoid the exposed hot wires. Smart Energy Manager configuration is in the inverter - you have to take off the top cover to access the menu buttons. It's covered in these 2 documents. Just know that Export+Import means Feed-In+Purchased.
                      Great, thank you. I'll ask my installer for help... if not, I may try some things myself...

June 2nd Update:
                      I got in touch with our installer - CJ @ Streamline Solar here in Phoenix, AZ - he guided me through the steps to change the inverter configuration.

However, my dashboard now shows both production and self-consumption, but no pure consumption (the red). See attached picture.

SolarEdge-selfconsumption-2JUN16.png

Any idea on how to solve this final step?

Thanks again!

Last edited by BluePhoton; 06-02-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

BluePhoton Looks like you need to reverse the polarity of your CTs.

FYI, consumption = import when production=0. If import is negative because CTs are backwards, then the it assumes consumption=0.

If you open up the service panel at night, the CT LEDs should be blinking green. If they are red, the CTs are backwards.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• CJ_Streamline
                          CJ_Streamline commented
                          Editing a comment
                          While I understand what you are saying, the CT's are hooked up correctly. 1, when the Wattnode was installed, the inverter was turned off and both LEDs were blinking Green. and 2, before turning on the Self-Consumption, the monitoring was showing Grid Consumption correctly. If the CT's were backwards, it would have shown only consumption during the production time, and it would have matched the solar production as well.

I talked with SolarEdge's tech support and they said there is a setting or two they are having to adjust in the Power Control section. They didn't tell me what setting exactly, but he said he will inform me what was done when they do it.
                      Working...
                      X