Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluePhoton
    • Nov 2015

Solaredge Consumption Meter - display problem on dashboard

We just turned on our solar panel system last week here in sunny Scottsdale, Arizona.

The system consists of:
    - 40 SunPower E20 327 panels
    - SolarEdge P400 optimizers
    - SolarEdge SE11400 inverter

As we waited for installation, I also had our installer add the SolarEdge consumption meter to the configuration:
    - SolarEdge Modbus Meter
    - Model #: SE-WNC-3Y400-MB-K1
    - http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/...city_meter.pdf

Has anyone else installed this consumption meter?

Here's my problem:
    In the SolarEdge monitoring portal, the consumption meter only shows values at night, after the system has stopped generating electricity. During the day, it shows 0 for all consumption values.
    If you do a web search on images for "SolarEdge Consumption meter" you will see pictures of what I expect - red consumption during night, but during the day it will also show consumption values)

For example - See page 2 in this document:
    This page is not found but don't worry, the sun is still shining! We are here to help

Here's what I see:
    solaredge-consumption-11nov15.gif
    Note that it's all green and then all red.

I spoke with our installer (Streamline Solar = recommended!) - They said that SolarEdge is saying that the consumption meter + dashboard that shows daytime consumption is not yet enabled in North America.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else in North America has successfully used the SolarEdge consumption meter?

Thanks in advance!
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Is this a commercial installation? That particular meter part number is not intended for 240 V L-L (120 V L-N) service typically found in US residential. You can check out the manufacturer's product page for more info.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• BluePhoton
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sensij
      Is this a commercial installation? That particular meter part number is not intended for 240 V L-L (120 V L-N) service typically found in US residential. You can check out the manufacturer's product page for more info.
      No, this is a residential installation.

I don't know my electricity... is one of the other models on that page intended for residential use?

Perhaps that's the problem?
      (thanks!)

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

The 3Y208 model is designed for US residential. An inquiry to the manufacturer may tell you if having the wrong model could affect the output in the way you've seen. I don't know how your model could be wired to give accurate consumption on each 120 V leg.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BluePhoton

Here's what I see:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]8079[/ATTACH]
          Note that it's all green and then all red.

I spoke with our installer (Streamline Solar = recommended!) - They said that SolarEdge is saying that the consumption meter + dashboard that shows daytime consumption is not yet enabled in North America.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else in North America has successfully used the SolarEdge consumption meter?

Thanks in advance!
          It is clear that you have both together at the overlap points. I would suggest that the installer configured the device incorrectly as consumption. This would mean that if your generation during the day is larger than your consumption it would show negative numbers and thus be zeroed out. I think they need to change the configuration on your inverter to Feed-In+Purchased instead of consumption. On page 11 of this document:

This page is not found but don't worry, the sun is still shining! We are here to help

Note I haven't done this but ran into very similar issue with TED 5000 units on many homes.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• CJ_Streamline
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sensij
            The 3Y208 model is designed for US residential. An inquiry to the manufacturer may tell you if having the wrong model could affect the output in the way you've seen. I don't know how your model could be wired to give accurate consumption on each 120 V leg.
            The Wattnode installed is the 3Y 208 model.

Comment

• CJ_Streamline
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
              It is clear that you have both together at the overlap points. I would suggest that the installer configured the device incorrectly as consumption. This would mean that if your generation during the day is larger than your consumption it would show negative numbers and thus be zeroed out. I think they need to change the configuration on your inverter to Feed-In+Purchased instead of consumption. On page 11 of this document:

Note I haven't done this but ran into very similar issue with TED 5000 units on many homes.
              I had the SolarEdge inverter initially set up with Feed In + Purchased and it was showing nothing on the dashboard for Consumption. When I set it to consumption, it works, but not as Net Meter, which is how I have the CTs installed as. SolarEdge tech support keeps telling me that Consumption Monitoring is not supported in the USA with SolarEdge.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by CJ_Streamline
                I had the SolarEdge inverter initially set up with Feed In + Purchased and it was showing nothing on the dashboard for Consumption. When I set it to consumption, it works, but not as Net Meter, which is how I have the CTs installed as. SolarEdge tech support keeps telling me that Consumption Monitoring is not supported in the USA with SolarEdge.
                Then I would tend to think it will work soon. SolarEdge is rolling this out in the US as part of their StorEdge solution.

Comment

• BluePhoton
                  • Nov 2015

Then I would tend to think it will work soon. SolarEdge is rolling this out in the US as part of their StorEdge solution.
                  Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread!
                  (Including CJ from my installer, Streamline Solar)

From this, we have learned:
                  1) We do have the correct meter installed (for residential use in the USA): WNC-3Y-208-MB
                  (Phew!)

2) The setting on the inverter is currently set to Consumption, because "Feed In + Purchased" does not work.

It seems that SolarEdge does not currently support consumption monitoring in the USA. (Am I the first person to try this?!?) I will instead just have to wait - hopefully this capability will be added sometime in the near future.

Thank you again!

Comment

• montreid
                    • Apr 2016

Researching the powerwall installation feasibility of our current solaredge system, and noted that the modbus is what's required; but finding only limited information on what it does and how that's being used for the powerwall.

Is there a reason why modbus was needed in your installation? We already have smart meters with the utilities so that is monitored in/out grid management and reporting.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by montreid
                      Researching the powerwall installation feasibility of our current solaredge system, and noted that the modbus is what's required; but finding only limited information on what it does and how that's being used for the powerwall.

Is there a reason why modbus was needed in your installation? We already have smart meters with the utilities so that is monitored in/out grid management and reporting.
                      The inverter needs to know the consumption in order to adjust the generation quickly to allow net zero operation.

Comment

• montreid
                        • Apr 2016

With a smart meter by utilities in place, why would this be needed? My guess is this:

Right now, we have simple PV system - inverter (solaredge) that's grid connected. My understanding if generation > consumption; flows to grid and smartemeter owned by utility recognizes this generation. If consumption > local generation, draw from grid occurs.

With a battery system-- how will the modbus recognize that battery is the preferred source and trigger the pull from the battery source until drained? I am guessing that the modbus would have a need to communicate with the Storedge Interface to allow for the discharge of the battery as a preferred source before opening the circuit to draw from the grid.

I would presume the system would allow the battery to recharged over night too when demand is the lowest like how my EV Fiat can time recharge after midnight.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

With a smart meter by utilities in place, why would this be needed? My guess is this:

Right now, we have simple PV system - inverter (solaredge) that's grid connected. My understanding if generation > consumption; flows to grid and smartemeter owned by utility recognizes this generation. If consumption > local generation, draw from grid occurs.

With a battery system-- how will the modbus recognize that battery is the preferred source and trigger the pull from the battery source until drained? I am guessing that the modbus would have a need to communicate with the Storedge Interface to allow for the discharge of the battery as a preferred source before opening the circuit to draw from the grid.

I would presume the system would allow the battery to recharged over night too when demand is the lowest like how my EV Fiat can time recharge after midnight.
                          The inverter has a computer that controls it. With the connected consumption meter, the inverter will know exactly how much it is over producing. It is only needed if you do not want to push power to the grid for any reason.
                          With or without the battery the inverter computer can be programmed to not use feed in ever or at times. With the battery it can be programmed to use battery and avoid consumption as well as over generation.
                          It doesn't open a circuit it simply produces such that no energy flows in or out.
                          For backup it disconnects from the interconnect connection while keeping the emergency panel up

Comment

• montreid
                            • Apr 2016

The inverter has a computer that controls it. With the connected consumption meter, the inverter will know exactly how much it is over producing. It is only needed if you do not want to push power to the grid for any reason.
                            With or without the battery the inverter computer can be programmed to not use feed in ever or at times. With the battery it can be programmed to use battery and avoid consumption as well as over generation.
                            Thanks for the explanation BD. So will we be able to control that from Solaredge's control panel to allow times of charge and discharge of the battery? With only 7khW and an existing 3.8kw inverter, we'd have to be careful on the discharge usage during the shift times of our TOU. Would be great to recharge the battery at super off peak times too.

We may actually dive into the powerwall afterall!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Thanks for the explanation BD. So will we be able to control that from Solaredge's control panel to allow times of charge and discharge of the battery? With only 7khW and an existing 3.8kw inverter, we'd have to be careful on the discharge usage during the shift times of our TOU. Would be great to recharge the battery at super off peak times too.

We may actually dive into the powerwall afterall!
                              you can controll the times with the inverter. However in the US ONLY the SE7600 supports upgrade to StorEdge, so the SE3800 you have will not work with the Powerwall.

Comment

Working...