First solar project, Canoe

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomCat58
    • Jun 2013

I guess MorningStar must be reading these post because I just got a email with these links from them.

and it takes me to this PDF on running motors to the controller.

I guess I go by the local radio shack and see if they have this chock diode....

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by TomCat58
      SunEagle, Yes its rated for a 30amp load and Morningstar says it is capable of a 25% over load too. I have read the current draw on the trolling motor with a DC clamp and saw no surge or spike with a 18 to 20 amp draw at full throttle.
      TomCat you do no tunderstand what you are reading. There is nothing wrong except your understanding.

The MC controller has two outputs.

One is the battery, the other is a fused load device running through a Low Voltage Disconnect Relay (LVD). The fused output is only for very low power device like a light. The LVD is there to so that if you hook up a light to the fused output and leave it on too long and the battery gets to low it opens up, and the light goes out. The fused output is useless, so don't get hung up on it, you will not use it.

The battery port is basically connected directly to the panels with a on/off switch that turns off and on real fast to regulate voltage to the battery. You connect your trolling motor directly to the battery post. The trolling motor gets all its power from the battery, and/or solar panels depending on the state of charge of the battery , and what is available from the panels if any at all.

For example with your set up. You have a 115 watt panel and the panel can only supply 6 amp sat best case at noon on a bright sunny day with the panel facing directly into the sun. Now assume the battery is fully charged up and trolling motor is turned off. No curren tis flowing anywhere. The panels are turned off by the controller because the battery is fully charged. It is collecting dust at that point and doing nothing.

Now you turn on the trolling motor and demand 18 amps. The charge controller senses a demand and turns on, but it can only supply 6 amps at best. The rest comes from the battery. You troll around 3 hours and the motor stops because the battery is dead and it is getting dark and the panel is dead. You are SOL sailor

You row back to camp, and wait 2 days for the battery to recharge because you have such a small panel that can only handle a very small battery, not a trolling motor battery.

Just because you have a 30 amp controller does not mean squat unless you have a solar panel capable of pushing 30 amps. With a PWM controller on a 12 volt battery you need a panel wattage of 30 amps x 18 volts = 540 watts. You are not even close.

Lets make this simple for you. For every hour you run the trolling motor at half speed, will require a full day to recharge.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• TomCat58
        • Jun 2013

Sunking, I totally understand you. I have been talking about if the solar charger load can handle the FULL amp draw from my trolling motor. But I guess I didn't share what I use the canoe for. I am fishing by trolling at 1-2 MPH. Yep right from the dock and up to 3-4 hours at a time. My trolling motor is variable speed so I would guess I troll at about one tenth throttle. The draw so far from the checking a half a dozen times is right around 2-3 amp. That is with the motor connected straight to the deep cycle battery.

Sorry I didn't explain earlier on how the canoe is being used and at what speeds. I got hung up on if the controller would die if I ever used full throttle while connected to the load. I didn't explain that I often stop and turn off the motor and fish with a favorite spot. I mentioned I will have my small honda generator as a backup that charges at 8amps or more if I use the AC and a battery charger.

So now I hope you see a little clearer picture of what I trying to achieve. Trolling at 1-2 mph using 2-3 amps, stopping now and then at for 20-30 minutes at favorite fishing spots and those are in good sunny spots.

The other motives for using this close to free solar panels its 2 1/2 feet wide and 5 feet long and provides my much need shade while trolling on hot sunny days

I will post some pictures if people are interested and its allowed on this forum? I can't even send a private email till I get enough post here.... LOL

Tommy

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Sorry I didn't explain earlier on how the canoe is being used and at what speeds. I got hung up on if the controller would die if I ever used full throttle while connected to the load. I didn't explain that I often stop and turn off the motor and fish with a favorite spot. I mentioned I will have my small honda generator as a backup that charges at 8amps or more if I use the AC and a battery charger.
          Well it wouldn't die nor should it damage it. Die is not a good choice of words. Overload is more accurate. The load output is a FUSED output. YOu would blow the fuse which is repairable.

It is really a moot point because you will not be using the fused load port. Motor will be connected directly to the battery term post.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• TomCat58
            • Jun 2013

canoe solar project best panel

I was wonder my options and whats the best options ? I only have room for one solar panel on the canoe. What would you folks recommend as the best panel that has the highest charge/amps on the market today?

I have a 12 volt system.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

I was wonder my options and whats the best options ? I only have room for one solar panel on the canoe. What would you folks recommend as the best panel that has the highest charge/amps on the market today?
              Highest wattage you can afford and fit on the boat. Or just get rid of the PWM controller and get a MPPT controller with the panel you have.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• TomCat58
                • Jun 2013

Yes I hear you sunking. I am new to all this solar stuff so I figured sense I had it all setup with the controller that I might as well go do a test on the local lake. It was late after noon and the sun was not above the panel giving full amps but that is ok and more like reality. Have a look sunking and give me a idea of what I could expect by changing over to MPPT unit. don't freaking laugh to hard LOL A guy has got to learn some how

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Yes I hear you sunking. I am new to all this solar stuff so I figured sense I had it all setup with the controller that I might as well go do a test on the local lake. It was late after noon and the sun was not above the panel giving full amps but that is ok and more like reality. Have a look sunking and give me a idea of what I could expect by changing over to MPPT unit. don't freaking laugh to hard LOL A guy has got to learn some how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLdq2CEPzE
                  Looks like a nice set up. I like the way you are using that pelican box for the charge controller and how you have it mounted. Hopefully you haven't moved your CG to high above the water. Wouldn't want to tip.

Comment

• FloridaSun
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    Looks like a nice set up. I like the way you are using that pelican box for the charge controller and how you have it mounted. Hopefully you haven't moved your CG to high above the water. Wouldn't want to tip.
                    Yes, looks like a nice set up but, one gust of wind.... all that will go to the bottom unless having buncha floatation.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by FloridaSun
                      Yes, looks like a nice set up but, one gust of wind.... all that will go to the bottom unless having buncha floatation.
                      Even a big wave from a speed boat would make it interesting. I still like the idea. It is similar to the solar golf carts I have seen that have a panel mounted to the roof to keep the batteries "charged". Only they don't go into a water hazard.

Comment

• TomCat58
                        • Jun 2013

So far the outriggers have dealt with the winds and I have had some pretty large boat wakes hit me and the canoe rides them out nicely. I spent 6 months in the Philippines on remote islands and island hopping and fishing is a way of life there. Home made canoe type boats with bamboo outriggers is all they have and there is no lakes, Its all open ocean. Its easier to show one then it is for me to explain. They use bamboo and I used PVC and filled them with spray expandable foam.

I hope to get some help here on this forum improving this solar system. So fire away with your ideas on how I might improve it !

Traditional Filipino fishing boats - known as Outrigger bangkas or Pump boats - have no keel and are constructed with minimal draft so they can drift over shallow seas and coral reefs. To make up for this lack of stability they are fitted with two bamboo or wooden outriggers that offer them some support on the rough seas. They started out as fishing boats but these Outrigger bangkas or jeepneys of the sea have long ago moved out to serve plenty of different roles - from transporting goods over to remote islands to serving as tourist taxis to diving expedition boats and also as small ferries. No matter their size - and they do come from tiny to vast ones - they present a nice blend of traditional and modern design and inspire you into wanting to ride them on and on and on. Photo by Marko Preslenkov.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

So far the outriggers have dealt with the winds and I have had some pretty large boat wakes hit me and the canoe rides them out nicely. I spent 6 months in the Philippines on remote islands and island hopping and fishing is a way of life there. Home made canoe type boats with bamboo outriggers is all they have and there is no lakes, Its all open ocean. Its easier to show one then it is for me to explain. They use bamboo and I used PVC and filled them with spray expandable foam.

I hope to get some help here on this forum improving this solar system. So fire away with your ideas on how I might improve it !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/preslen...n/photostream/
                          Ah. I did not see any outriggers in your videos (of course I could have just missed them). They will certainly provide a lot of stability. The PVC with expandable foam is a really nice design.

I guess the big question is how much room do you have to mount the pv panels. Then you can determine which ones to install based on your CC voltage and current input range.

Another idea is the ability to tilt the panels toward the sun instead of just having them lay flat. You would have to be able to tilt to port or starboard depending on which side the sun is on.

Comment

• TomCat58
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            Ah. I did not see any outriggers in your videos (of course I could have just missed them). They will certainly provide a lot of stability. The PVC with expandable foam is a really nice design.

I guess the big question is how much room do you have to mount the pv panels. Then you can determine which ones to install based on your CC voltage and current input range.

Another idea is the ability to tilt the panels toward the sun instead of just having them lay flat. You would have to be able to tilt to port or starboard depending on which side the sun is on.
                            I am thinking that the next steps might be to switch to a MPPT and I am researching the option of small panels hinged that would have fully adjustable panels that fold out from the roof/solar panel that is on there now. The panel on there is 26x62 and now imagine two panels that when closed would cover the top of the panel on there now. Then when I launch I fold out a panel on each side that are 12 inches wide and 62 inches long. I would have slotted arms that hooked on to the 4 vertical pvc pipes that go from the canoe to the panels. This way I can adjust the 2 fold out panels to be flat matching the main panel or adjust this 2 panels to aim towards the sun.

I don't know if panels come in any sizes close to 12x62 ? I guess I might find some panels close to 12x30 but right now I just don't know if that is possible or would I have to make these 2 panels ?

I not good at explaining clearly what my mind in visions ! Just picture two wings folding out on both sides from on top of the panel on there now. Then picture slotted hinges holding the to wings/panels in place. With this idea I hope to 1. double my charging amps. 2 fold in if I hit rough waters and get to shore. 3 fold in if the wind gets to be to much.

I would share a picture but I haven't seen anything like this before. This whole project has mostly been a figment of my imagination

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

I am thinking that the next steps might be to switch to a MPPT and I am researching the option of small panels hinged that would have fully adjustable panels that fold out from the roof/solar panel that is on there now. The panel on there is 26x62 and now imagine two panels that when closed would cover the top of the panel on there now. Then when I launch I fold out a panel on each side that are 12 inches wide and 62 inches long. I would have slotted arms that hooked on to the 4 vertical pvc pipes that go from the canoe to the panels. This way I can adjust the 2 fold out panels to be flat matching the main panel or adjust this 2 panels to aim towards the sun.

I don't know if panels come in any sizes close to 12x62 ? I guess I might find some panels close to 12x30 but right now I just don't know if that is possible or would I have to make these 2 panels ?

I not good at explaining clearly what my mind in visions ! Just picture two wings folding out on both sides from on top of the panel on there now. Then picture slotted hinges holding the to wings/panels in place. With this idea I hope to 1. double my charging amps. 2 fold in if I hit rough waters and get to shore. 3 fold in if the wind gets to be to much.

I would share a picture but I haven't seen anything like this before. This whole project has mostly been a figment of my imagination
                              No. I can picture what you have in mind. I don't know of any manufactured panels with 12 inch widths. Most are in the 26" range. That would give you at least one panel to flip out on some type of angle while the other one stayed flat (or at least level with the bottom of the canoe).

With a MPPT controller you would not need as much panel wattage to get your desired charge rate. So maybe going to the MPPT and having one additional panel may meet your needs.

Comment

• thastinger
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Oct 2012

I would think salt spray is going to be an issue but what about those Unisolar flex panels, I think those are close to 12" wide, maybe you could mount them onto a piece of cut down marine grade plywood?
                                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Working...