Warranty Issues with Sunpower

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alchete
    • Jul 2015

After about 6 months with 25% of my panels dead, I just had my warranty service. I needed to complain multiple times, but finally got in the queue and had the swap.

What I wasn't expecting is that rather than replace the 250W microinverters (again), that SunPower had their tech team replace the panels entirely, with 360W panels. So, they installed 9 fewer panels. Techs did a great job. They were a subcontracted team out of New Jersey.

I also received a new Wi-Fi based communications device.

Anyone else get recent warranty service or have their 250W panels swapped out entirely?

Comment

• Scott Sousa
      • Jan 2016

Alchete, you probably got the Enphase 7X micro inverters with those modules.
      could you check? some one else on this thread was asking about those units.
      33-CS6P250,1-SMA6000US,SMAwebconn,Egauge

Comment

• Alchete
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Scott Sousa
        Alchete, you probably got the Enphase 7X micro inverters with those modules.
        could you check? some one else on this thread was asking about those units.
        Scott, how to check?

They appear to be these panels: https://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpow...odules-0_3.pdf

Comment

• Scott Sousa
          • Jan 2016

Alchete
          this spec sheet is the old SPR micro inverter.
          Short of climbing on the roof - you could ask your installer.
          the IQ7X is made of black plastic, the SPR inverter is a silver metal enclosure
          I am just curious since SPR has changed over to Enphase.
          33-CS6P250,1-SMA6000US,SMAwebconn,Egauge

Comment

• takun
            • Oct 2018

Just got my faulty first gen microverters replaced by SunPower yesterday. Whole process took about a month , But this is after months of complaining and finally proofing to the installers that my microinverters were the culprit. They put in Sunpower MI-C-320-US208/240-10 so no Enphase microinverters yet. And I have the X22-360W panels.
            Last edited by takun; 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Alchete
              • Jul 2015

Actually, during install I asked the tech if the 360W panels had the new inverters and he said no. But I didn't check or get the model numbers. However, he said that the 360W panels are vastly superior to the problem-ridden 250W ones. He's an independent tech. Not from Sunpower.

They also upgraded my communications box. I now have the new Wi-Fi version. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have an internal webpage where I can check individual panels, like the old box.

Comment

• MQGalano
                • Aug 2018

ok have had all the microinverters replaced and system seems to be working great Im making more than I did the first year. Also sunpower held of on the lease payments for 8 months because it took them that long to get the system fully working. They also sent me a check for $460 for the underprodcuction of the system. Sunpower might be slow to react to customers but they do deliver.

Comment

• Jskeyes2
                  • Oct 2014

Probably a little late to the show as I have not been on the board for a while. However, I had the same problem. Last summary (July 2018) I contacted local installer about apparent loss in production. Was told it was "communication" issue. They did something, and then I saw production increase. Told me I did not need microinverters replaced. Fast forward to this summer, June 2019, and noticing production is low. Called again. Said they were replacing micros, and had it done within two weeks. First day after, saw production increase. So general questions -

1. Has anyone gotten a refund for lost production? Pretty sure I have had lost production for a year
                  2. I see other posts on being able to check panel by panel production by hooking up to the box - are there current instructions on how to do this?
                  3. Should I be asking / checking model of replacement inverters that I have gotten?

Thanks - Jeff

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jskeyes2
                    Probably a little late to the show as I have not been on the board for a while. However, I had the same problem. Last summary (July 2018) I contacted local installer about apparent loss in production. Was told it was "communication" issue. They did something, and then I saw production increase. Told me I did not need microinverters replaced. Fast forward to this summer, June 2019, and noticing production is low. Called again. Said they were replacing micros, and had it done within two weeks. First day after, saw production increase. So general questions -

1. Has anyone gotten a refund for lost production? Pretty sure I have had lost production for a year
                    2. I see other posts on being able to check panel by panel production by hooking up to the box - are there current instructions on how to do this?
                    3. Should I be asking / checking model of replacement inverters that I have gotten?

Thanks - Jeff
                    What did Stellar Solar have to say since replacement or anything about lost production reimbursement ?
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-27-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2017

So did they replace your panels and Micros? And you're new panels are a much higher wattage? So you have fewer panels than before? I'm curious how SunPower can make all of these changes without revising the PoCo interconnect agreement / re-inspection.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                        So did they replace your panels and Micros? And you're new panels are a much higher wattage? So you have fewer panels than before? I'm curious how SunPower can make all of these changes without revising the PoCo interconnect agreement / re-inspection.
                        FWIW, I believe the std. NEM agreement for residential hookups w/ SDG & E only talks about increasing array size up to 1 kW before a new agreement is triggered with no mention of inverter arrangement(s). I'd wonder however, if changeout of an old inverter w/no increase in either array or inverter capacity would trigger things like rapid shutdown requirements if the old arrangement got PTO prior to rapid shutdown requirements for example. I believe Jskeyes2 had 345 W panels, but I may be off on that one.

Comment

• Jskeyes2
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

What did Stellar Solar have to say since replacement or anything about lost production reimbursement ?
                          They just installed them yesterday and left - I was not home with they left, but I am going to call them Monday. The only comment I got when I originally stated about lost production was "oh, you should call sales on that". I was talking to service department. Definitely seems like they are avoiding the concept.

Comment

• Jskeyes2
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                            They just replaced micros, nothing else. Yes, I have 345W panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jskeyes2

They just installed them yesterday and left - I was not home with they left, but I am going to call them Monday. The only comment I got when I originally stated about lost production was "oh, you should call sales on that". I was talking to service department. Definitely seems like they are avoiding the concept.
                              Understood. Thank you.

Comment

• Jskeyes2
                                • Oct 2014

So is there a way to see per panel monitoring?

Comment

Working...