Warranty Issues with Sunpower

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpjannarone
    • Jan 2020

I am advertising that I had enough of Sunpowers failed promises to fix my system.

My favorite Sunpower excuse... my positive ground system was grounded on the negative. We have to reverse it. It takes 30 days for the electrons to realign.

Yet again 30 days later. The same story in reverse.

Electrons take 30 days to align. As if I am that stupid.

Comment

• Jpjannarone
      • Jan 2020

Sunpower tried to tell me their certified installer had to honor the warranty. Not Sunpower.

7 years of little production. Then they tried to say my ten year inverter warranty expired. After I have been complaining for 7 years?

No reimbursement for the production loss. No compensation for my SREC losses (that were calculated in my pay off equation)

I do not want others to fall prey to Sunpowers failed promises of honoring a warranty.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

I have a good relationship with a Sunpower installer who put a small system on a townhome that I rent out. It is too soon to tell if I will have any problems but maybe I am the exception not the rule. On my current home I did buy some used Sunpower panels and they are working fine for being 10 years old. I don't have any expectation of service or warranty but I was drawn to them because of their reputation. Good luck with your situation.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Jpjannarone
          ......... I have been complaining for 7 years?

No reimbursement for the production loss. No compensation for my SREC losses (that were calculated in my pay off equation)

I do not want others to fall prey to Sunpowers failed promises of honoring a warranty.
          I don't know a manufacturer that offers reimbursement for production loss. My installer of a SolarEdge system offered a production guarantee but the agreement is silent about reimbursement for production loss. In any case I know it does not fall on SolarEdge. Does your contract have terms to that effect? Did Sunpower warranty production?
          I don't mean to sound like a Sunpower fanboy but it sounds like you got a bad installer. Could the production loss have been the result of a bad system design?

Comment

• Jpjannarone
            • Jan 2020

Sir,

if you like I can send you a copy of the production guarantee. I would not disparage a company without proper documentation.

The installer was not the issue. The installer was the only one who used a dome looking sun meter and told me I had to cut down a tree due to shading prior to install.

The installer worked hard to get the issue resolved but Sunpower engineers refused to listen. Black burn marks on the rear of the panels seemed to beca dead giveaway to the men that tried to do the repairs.

oh and the monitoring device that was supposed to alert problems ( that i paid extra for ) nope that never triggered a response or alert from Sunpower.

Did you read my post about electrons aligning? Really?

I may not be an electrical engineer but I did pass a few science classes in my day.

I stand by my statement that the system failed. Sunpower ignored me for years. I finally filed a consumer fraud case in Federal Court and am awaiting the class action certification.

If my claim was without merit I have faith that a Federal Court Judge would dismiss it with prejudice.

Sunpower did try to blame the installer. Even though the installer was their “certified” installer.

If you need anymore specifics to validate my accusation I am happy to supply then.

There does not appear to be a shortage of BBB complaints for failure to repair or replace Sunpower failed systems. On the BBB page they even promise to pay for lost production to another complainant. Never offered me a penny for the loss I took.

Buyer beware. Sunpower is a huge disappointment.

I am hoping others who have been bullied by Sunpower speak up.

Comment

• Jpjannarone
              • Jan 2020

To those that question the Sunpower production warranty. Please see Sun Power response:

See Sunpower response dated 10/24/2019.

Sun Power agreed to pay for lost production!

I have filed a class action law suit in Federal Court for Sunpower’s multiple failures.

Contact Josh Bauchner Esq.

jb@ansellgrimm.com.

Comment

• Jpjannarone
                • Jan 2020

Test. Test. Have I been blocked?

Comment

• Jpjannarone
                  • Jan 2020

E4D8B7B6-7BC5-4760-9FDF-441CA108366F.png
                  Sunpower agreed to pay for lost production

Better Business Bureau Post

I have used Josh Bauchner Esq to file a class action law suit in Federal Court.

jb@ansellgrimm.com

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Did they agree to pay you, or is that email about someone else?

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Test. Test. Have I been blocked?
                      No you have multiple weblinks so your posts have gone to review first.

I have approved one of your posts and deleted the other duplicate ones
                      Last edited by SunEagle; 02-13-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Jpjannarone
                        • Jan 2020

Sorry. Completely my user error. Thank you for your help.

Comment

• Jpjannarone
                          • Jan 2020

Did Sun Power ever make good on their production warranty with me? My answer is no they did not.

The picture I posted was from the BBB in regards to another victim of Sun Power’s failed product.

My point was to clarify that the do have a production guaranty and should make good on their warranty promises.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Did Sun Power ever make good on their production warranty with me? My answer is no they did not.

The picture I posted was from the BBB in regards to another victim of Sun Power’s failed product.

My point was to clarify that the do have a production guaranty and should make good on their warranty promises.
                            I don't think anyone who's informed on the matter said or could say Sunpower does not have a production warranty.

What a careful read of the production warranty as read from Sunpower's (or just about any panel mfg's.) perspective will probably do is lead to the conclusion that it's almost impossible for a user to get or have the data necessary to justify a warranty claim and that the determination of the accuracy of any claims and any action on those claims by Sunpower is pretty much at Sunpower's discretion.

Production warranties read great until you start reading the fine print and then do the homework to find out what all the fine print means and what's required.
                            The purpose of production warranties is marketing.
                            If a warranty claim is paid, it's as much or more about public relations and public perceptions and how those things will impact sales as anything else.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-13-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• bob-n
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2019

I'm not a lawyer. As such, I can't give legal opinions and anything I say about laws is merely the words of a layman.

That said, it sure seems like Jpjannarone has a valid problem. If he can get an independent engineering firm or licensed engineer to certify that the system is not performing to specifications, he would have a strong case against Sunpower.

There is a legal concept of implied warranty, which in many cases, can't be waived, even if the printed warranty claims that this excludes implied warranties. From what I've read, an implied warranty reqires that good sold are guaranteed to work for the intended purpose and also guaranteed to work as specified. Laws on these warranties vary from state to state. Sunpower operates across state lines, so may be judged to a higher standard as well. It's all very complicated.

The bottom line is that, IF the system is not working as intended and it can be proven, Sunpower may be legally obligated to correct it in a timely fashion. Two different courts in the same city could decide the case differently. One court might rule punative damages on top of repair. Another might dismiss the whole case.

Please let us know if this is ever resolved.
                              7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• Jpjannarone
                                • Jan 2020

A class action is in the process for Sun Powers refusal to honor the agreement and consumer fraud.

My attorney is Josh Bauchner

jb@ansellgrimm.com

If others are experiencing production/warranty/product failure they have a recourse.

Comment

Working...