• Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JSchnee21
    Hmmm, very interesting. Seems unlikely to be a mains voltage issue
    since only half of the panels are affected. -Jonathan
    I do not know for SURE what is wrong, but it certainly COULD be line voltage. When your total output
    increases, it will DRIVE UP the voltage. Then the most sensitive inverters may cut out, the voltage drops
    a little, and the system finds equalibrium on the edge.

WHY don't you just check voltage before investing weeks chasing down every possibility? Bruce Roe

Comment

• electric123
      • Jul 2018

Of course I checked the voltage. Its the same on all 12 inverters and never goes above 244V, even during peak times when the issue is evident.

Comment

• mcsj
        • Jul 2018

Thank you electric123 for information. I'll check with the installer when they come to replace my micro-inverters about showing the system layout. When I reported the clipping problem to SunPower, they first told me nothing was wrong, then they said I just needed the firmware upgrade on PVS5 which they did. So I'm sure I'm on their latest firmware. I haven't checked directly from PVS5 though. I couldn't tell when this clipping problem started as monitoring site doesn't show the power for each day that far back (only shows energy), but it seems like it started sometime before March '18. SunPower issued RMA, but they couldn't tell me when the micro-inverters will be available. So I'm still waiting...

Comment

• MQGalano
          • Aug 2018

I am having 2same problem with a 37 panel system. I have had an open ticket with sunpoer for over 10 months. I have been calling everyday for the last couple of days and they keep telling me that a scheduler will be calling me to replace only 1 of my microinverters and also install a new CT clamps so they can meter my productions correctly. This is a leased system and I am about ready to go into litigation about there lack of action on this system. Has anyone ever attempted to get a lawyer involved to see they will get the to actually do something other than keep telling me to wait. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• mshasib
            • Mar 2018

Hi electric123 and mcsj
            Sorry for the late reply. After you connect to the ethernet port of the Sunpower Monitor, please use this URL:

This should give you a summary of all the modules with their status and current power.

Comment

• rushclimber
              • Mar 2018

Talked with my local sunpower dealer today and showed him your problem. He comfirmed that they did have a bad batch of inverters early last year. They have since have a new revision. I just got my system up, which has 90 x360-ac panels.
              Its 32.4 KW. I hope he is right..

Comment

• mcsj
                • Jul 2018

mshasib and electric123 Thank you for the information. The technicians from the dealer came today to replace all micro-inverters after the replacements finally arrived after a long wait. I was able to see the table mshasib showed and the tech also set up the panel layout from the PVS5 console web. They also installed the CT meter for tracking the production. Everything seems to be back to normal now. I can see the maximum AC power back at what it used to be a year ago. The tech did mention that he has been replacing a lot of SunPower micro-inverters. He also mentioned that the new micro-inverters are still made by SunPower, but they are next gen model. When he was configuring the new inverters, they showed up as "XXX-Type D" instead of "Type C". If anyone is having this clipping problem with SunPower system, I think replacing the micro-inverters is the way to go. Good luck to others who are having the same problem.

Comment

• mshasib
                  • Mar 2018

I am happy to report that all 25 of my micro-inverters were finally replaced yesterday. As mcsj said, the new ones are "Type D" and Generation 3. I apparently had the Generation 1 micro-inverters which turned out to be faulty.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mshasib
                    I am happy to report that all 25 of my micro-inverters were finally replaced yesterday. As mcsj said, the new ones are "Type D" and Generation 3. I apparently had the Generation 1 micro-inverters which turned out to be faulty.
                    Anything about reimbursement for lost production ?

Comment

• mshasib
                      • Mar 2018

J.P.M. I am not sure if I can claim any as it was still producing power. The system was not performing optimally.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mshasib
                        J.P.M. I am not sure if I can claim any as it was still producing power. The system was not performing optimally.
                        By the strict terms of the warranty, I don't think consequential damages are covered. Contrary to what Sunpower and lots of others may think or mindlessly repeat, or want the solar ignorant who needlessly spend extra money for their product it, unless I read my S.P. warranty wrong, their super duper, bumper/bumper warranty does not cover lost production. But, it's worth a shot.

Their equipment malfuction(s) caused you to have a higher electric bill because of those malfunctions. If for no other reason than a marketing consideration, one logical conclusion might be that they'd consider paying you some money for lost production, at least for the period between when the problem was reported and when it was corrected, which sounds like a longer than reasonable span of time, if only for the negative publicity to be avoided.

Comment

• electric123
                          • Jul 2018

Glad to see some progress in getting crappy inverters replaced. My saga is just beginning to run its course. Today was the first visit from the local installer, very nice guy, who unfortunately has no influence at all. He connects the laptop to PVS5, which shows no comms from any inverters, but the production CT shows 2kW being produced. I explain that it should be over 3kW at this time of day, show him historical graphs, etc. He understands and believes me, calls the Sunpower support line to report the issue. Sunpower first level trained monkey reads from the script that system is producing power and everything is peachy and I should be happy with my 19 kWh per day. They also mention my "noisy grid" and to add insult to the injury they say "my consumption is too high".
                          WTF does my consumption have to do with anything???? I keep insisting that my system produced 24kWh per day the same time last year and insist on escalating to product engineering. I tell them I am an EE and understand the difference between power and energy units and that my consumption is none of their damn business. Finally the monkey agrees to escalate my case to engineering and it will take them a week to review my system data and get back to me. So, next round is a week from now...

Comment

• mgs3354
                            • Apr 2018

Just an Fyi, I went through same thing, had to show old graphs etc and now they are coming out in September to replace all the inverters, so good luck

Comment

• takun
                              • Oct 2018

Did anyone get the new Enphase IQ7X micro-inverters as their replacements? If so, just wondering if you can comment a little on that. It seems like it would be an upgrade moving to Enphase micro inverters.

Comment

• Scott Sousa
                                • Jan 2016

Just an FYI
                                SUNpower dumped their Micro inverter line earlier this year, it was the old BEN-Q. They are now exclusively Enphase. and overpriced.
                                33-CS6P250,1-SMA6000US,SMAwebconn,Egauge

Comment

Working...