Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jest Waitn
    replied
    i finished the final portion of the system per FPL guidelines in August 2018 and everything has been operating nicely with no problems!

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied
    the 3kw system is now operational after the power company installed the net metering meter.

thanks to all for the help.

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied
    as of last week the system passed inspection. the new net metering meter will be installed after the holiday!

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Jest Waitn View Post

you can't let go of high voltage dc.
    As Butch states it doesn't matter if the voltage is AC or DC once you get above 50 it becomes dangerous.

I have seen the result of someone having contact with 115V AC and know that they could have been killed but got lucky. I have also seen what a 480volt AC arc flash do to equipment and people. That type of flash can result in body parts being burnt to a crisp.

AC is not safer than DC. People who come in contact with either can be killed if they are not careful.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    and i already told someone that suggested this that i am not interested in long dc runs. too dangerous. more context added.
    Just take that "someones" suggestions and file them in the round file. Sure, if you cut corners, skimp on safe gear, use AC rated instead of DC listed gear, you will have a problem. Just use the right tools for the job, But if you can't do that, or won't, you are stuck. I can give you sound technical advice, but apparently "someone" knows a hell of a lot more than me.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied

you are the king of not paying attention (context). you & a couple more have hijacked this thread and made it about you. it's not about you. and the veteran members and moderators have stopped posting here after you hijacked it. do you do this to everyone?
    We have given up on the OP who can't seem to accept answers given already.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied

You are afraid of what you don't understand.... get over it. These are rules of physics you can't get around them.

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied
    Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Why is 430 or 600 for that matter D.C. Too dangerous but 480 AC isn't? Maybe with a string inverter without ground fault and arc fault protection but any that is approved for US installs now will have those features .

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied

Ok yes you are the king of random statements. You claimed that the advantage is that the can have less loss due to D.C. Runs. I corrected your inaccurate statement that it is not the D.C. But the high voltage that makes it have less lose.

it doesn't matter if you already told someone or are arrfrade of D.C., facts are facts
    you are the king of not paying attention (context). you & a couple more have hijacked this thread and made it about you. it's not about you. and the veteran members and moderators have stopped posting here after you hijacked it. do you do this to everyone?

Leave a comment:

• SWFLA
    replied
    Well said, Butch. FWIW, if you are not comfortable working with voltages over 240, then don't play with large arrarys.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied

if i could transmit 480vac to the main panel and then split it or step it down, i'd do it. but not 430vdc. too dangerous.

as far as the line loss, this point was not made by me. it was made in this thread by another. it was suggested that the micros would have trouble when the line voltage rose above 261vac. this was something new to me. and i asked the question about string inverter response to rising voltage (261vac). more context.
    Why is 430 or 600 for that matter D.C. Too dangerous but 480 AC isn't? Maybe with a string inverter without ground fault and arc fault protection but any that is approved for US installs now will have those features .

Microsw or string inverter trying to push 240v AC a long distance is going to be creeping up on the voltage at the inverter. Micros will not have a choice for higher D.C. Voltage but string inverters will have that option. Further they will not shut down of the D.C. Voltage is effected by the long run, but they will have to shut down if the AC voltage gets too far off.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied
    and i already told someone that suggested this that i am not interested in long dc runs. too dangerous. more context added.

back to what i said, the only real advantage to the string is the ability to have long runs without much power loss. this is not an advantage to me, given the context.
    Ok yes you are the king of random statements. You claimed that the advantage is that the can have less loss due to D.C. Runs. I corrected your inaccurate statement that it is not the D.C. But the high voltage that makes it have less lose.

it doesn't matter if you already told someone or are arrfrade of D.C., facts are facts

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

As Butch writes, The long wire loss is mostly f(voltage), not whether the line is carrying AC or DC. Higher Voltage results in lower line loss.

For a given amount of power transmission, higher voltage reduces the line current which is what reduces the resistive losses in the conductor. One better way to make the losses as small as desired is to use appropriate wire thickness and or material as required by specs. Making the choice of micro inverter or optimizers vs, string inverter based on line loss due to voltage drop seems a bit odd.
    if i could transmit 480vac to the main panel and then split it or step it down, i'd do it. but not 430vdc. too dangerous.

as far as the line loss, this point was not made by me. it was made in this thread by another. it was suggested that the micros would have trouble when the line voltage rose above 261vac. this was something new to me. and i asked the question about string inverter response to rising voltage (261vac). more context.

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied

It isn't that they are DC power runs but that they are higher voltage.

back to what i said, the only real advantage to the string is the ability to have long runs without much power loss. this is not an advantage to me, given the context.

Leave a comment:

• Jest Waitn
    replied

If by " 'the' or one primary advantage" you mean the one or primary advantage that you are concerned with sure. Most people would consider this pretty low on the comparison chart unless they have very long wire runs.
    i understand that most people live in the polluted urban areas on 1/4 to 1/3 acre sites. since i have long wire runs, this is high priority. the long wire runs were stated in the original post; this is the context.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X