Ground mounting setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

As with any solar design, if you are in CA and follow the rules, the design will need to pass through the AHJ. Part of that process will usually mean review and approval of the structural portion of the design which usually requires a design that was done by a P.E. Such approval can also and usually take the form of standard designs from racking outfits which have limitations stipulated with them for wind, seismic and other types of loadings. If standard, erector set type of racking is used, and as long as the racking is done according to the design plans and is located in an area within the racking mfg. stated design limits, it ought to be OK.

DIY stuff will probably, but not entirely without exception require a design done/stamped by a P.E.

I posted AHJ requirements two posts above your post - read #42.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
      If the construction is inadequate, it could end up like this. Much less critical than a fence failure, which could release
      some of the half ton critters so common here onto the road. This test panel went up on the longest day, to serve for
      measurements through the shortest day, which it did. But the stand was left and didn't survive the winter; fortunately
      the panel wasn't damaged.

Build what is necessary in your location. That may be tougher where there are hurricanes or the ground shakes. Here
      in the Wild West zoned Ag, a 65' radio tower or a fence do not require a permit or inspection. A ground mount is just
      another fence. Bruce Roe

NS6motst.JPGNStwr12.JPG

I hope that is not your rack. The person who constructed that should not own a hammer. The materials are very telling. No x-bracing... lol

No worries about a herd of horses running down the road. The panels will not be in the pastures.

Seems like I need provide more background for some of you. I have been a general contractor on my own homes. And, have built barns, remodeled entire houses. Literally gutting them and personally doing the electrical, plumbing, windows, cabinet installs, tear down and add additional walls.... I also work on my own cars and motorcycles. And not just oil and plug changes...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuma View Post

I posted AHJ requirements two posts above your post - read #42.

As a contractor, I'm sure you are familiar with building codes and engineering requirements. Good luck on you latest efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuma View Post

I hope that is not your rack. The person who constructed that should not own a hammer. The materials are very telling.
          No x-bracing... lol No worries about a herd of horses running down the road. The panels will not be in the pastures.

Seems like I need provide more background for some of you. I have been a general contractor on my own homes. And, have built barns, remodeled entire houses. Literally gutting them and personally doing the electrical, plumbing, windows, cabinet installs, tear down and add additional walls.... I also work on my own cars and motorcycles. And not just oil and plug changes...
          Darn, now I have to turn in my hammers, if I can find them all. That TEST panel was estimated to stay
          up for 6 months, and thats exactly what it did. Too bad I didn't take it down before the snow hit.

Among the livestock here are some big horses, I believe some of those seen pulling the
          Bud Wagon were brought up just around the corner. Only seen the fence briefly down once.

I know enough about my 5 cars to rebuild all the automatic transmissions and convert them
          to switch pitch, but would much rather be doing something electronic. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
          X