Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

NSbuba.jpgimage_9054.jpg Here are a couple pictures of what is buried, and above ground details. You can just see the edges of a linolium square
    between the aluminum angle and the wood, on a 7" SS bolt. Bruce Roe
    Last edited by bcroe; 04-03-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Dsspro
      • Mar 2017

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing!!!

How far down did you go down for your concrete posts?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Dsspro
        Bruce, How far down did you go down for your concrete posts?
        Somebody else did the south facing concrete with coated aluminum bars embedded at the top. As I recall they did a bit of
        a footing in a post hole with some rebar, about 48" down. Then a tube. That array is all custom drilled 6061 aluminum,
        good stuff. At the time it might have been cheaper than racking, but at last check aluminum had gone way up. Bruce

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

I'd like to discourage folks from thinking about using aluminun with concrete
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
            http://www.concreteconstruction.net/...-controversy_o
            I'll second that one.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
              http://www.concreteconstruction.net/...-controversy_o
              I agree that aluminum and concrete are not a good combination. But Bruce mentioned "coated aluminum" so I wonder what the "coating" was that might inhibit corrosion and cracking.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I agree that aluminum and concrete are not a good combination. But Bruce mentioned "coated aluminum" so I wonder what the "coating" was that might inhibit corrosion and cracking.
                Something that's also, among other things an electrical isolator. Most of the problem is galvanic.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Right, don't put aluminum directly in concrete. This was some kind of coating for this ap, done by the
                  aluminum supplier. So far looks fine. Bruce

Comment

• Kuma
                    • Mar 2017

Planning a dyi 5kw+ solar ground mount in Nor Cal. Have looked at many rack options and still have not ruled out a PT frame structure. I live in 5 acres and have MANY PT fence posts in concrete 12+ years old that still look very good. And these are in the sun all day. Unlike a solar frame structure which it seems a majority of the posts would be shaded at different parts of the day. The 10+ year old PT deck structure that is elevated 6' on one side due to slope conditions, also looks great. The decks 2x6 PT floor joists are in excellent condition. I figure, given my age, if the PT lasts 20+ years, it may outlast me. And if I last more then 20, the last thing of concern would be a 20 yr old solar system.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kuma
                      Planning a dyi 5kw+ solar ground mount in Nor Cal. Have looked at many rack options and still have not ruled out a PT frame structure. I live in 5 acres and have MANY PT fence posts in concrete 12+ years old that still look very good. And these are in the sun all day. Unlike a solar frame structure which it seems a majority of the posts would be shaded at different parts of the day. The 10+ year old PT deck structure that is elevated 6' on one side due to slope conditions, also looks great. The decks 2x6 PT floor joists are in excellent condition. I figure, given my age, if the PT lasts 20+ years, it may outlast me. And if I last more then 20, the last thing of concern would be a 20 yr old solar system.
                      While wood is a viable engineering material with lots of advantages, it is often passed over in favor of other materials, usually metals, for solar arrays, depending on the application. Over time, metals often seem to handle deterioration and weakening from vibration induced stresses better than wood, those wind induced vibration stresses commonly being of a larger magnitude for solar arrays than other structures such as fences.

Comment

• tyab
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2016

Hello Kuma. As a fellow Cal guy be aware that any structure you do will most likely need a PE stamp for it in your permit package that take into account soil conditions and all expected loads. Many areas want calcs for 100 MPH of wind. The savings of a self engineered mount could easily be lost in engineering fees. Just food for thought as you continue your research.

Comment

• Kuma
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by tyab
                          Hello Kuma. As a fellow Cal guy be aware that any structure you do will most likely need a PE stamp for it in your permit package that take into account soil conditions and all expected loads. Many areas want calcs for 100 MPH of wind. The savings of a self engineered mount could easily be lost in engineering fees. Just food for thought as you continue your research.

Yes, researched the requirements. Per the County PV Systems code:

"For Ground Mount and Wind Generator Systems Provide:

[ ] Engineering [When the total height from ground to top of the array (not post height) exceeds 6 feet] for mounting, attachments, and foundation to meet the minimum wind and snow loads. Provide details of attachments, anchors, brackets, photovoltaic panels, and all hardware. "

Comment

• Kuma
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

While wood is a viable engineering material with lots of advantages, it is often passed over in favor of other materials, usually metals, for solar arrays, depending on the application. Over time, metals often seem to handle deterioration and weakening from vibration induced stresses better than wood, those wind induced vibration stresses commonly being of a larger magnitude for solar arrays than other structures such as fences.
                            Understood, although side loads on fence posts due to horses is worth noting. As is x-bracing and vertical strength. The other consideration for the ground mount is galv. fence posts. With a 30* tilt and not stacking panels, the highest point will be ~ 5.5'.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kuma

Understood, although side loads on fence posts due to horses is worth noting. As is x-bracing and vertical strength. The other consideration for the ground mount is galv. fence posts. With a 30* tilt and not stacking panels, the highest point will be ~ 5.5'.
                              As with any solar design, if you are in CA and follow the rules, the design will need to pass through the AHJ. Part of that process will usually mean review and approval of the structural portion of the design which usually requires a design that was done by a P.E. Such approval can also and usually take the form of standard designs from racking outfits which have limitations stipulated with them for wind, seismic and other types of loadings. If standard, erector set type of racking is used, and as long as the racking is done according to the design plans and is located in an area within the racking mfg. stated design limits, it ought to be OK.

DIY stuff will probably, but not entirely without exception require a design done/stamped by a P.E.

Comment

• bcroe
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2012

If the construction is inadequate, it could end up like this. Much less critical than a fence failure, which could release
                                some of the half ton critters so common here onto the road. This test panel went up on the longest day, to serve for
                                measurements through the shortest day, which it did. But the stand was left and didn't survive the winter; fortunately
                                the panel wasn't damaged.

Build what is necessary in your location. That may be tougher where there are hurricanes or the ground shakes. Here
                                in the Wild West zoned Ag, a 65' radio tower or a fence do not require a permit or inspection. A ground mount is just
                                another fence. Bruce Roe

NS6motst.JPGNStwr12.JPG

Comment

Working...