Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City blocking solar install by home owner - legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treadlite View Post
    Like I said earlery, this unfortunately is a personal attack because the main building inspector has a chip on his shoulder because from day one he said I wasn't allowed and I had to have a contractor. Every step of the way he tries to stop progress including getting the state involved and every time he has had to let me continue my work.

Any other city in the area I would not have this issue.
    I hope you're much better at being polite and working with the AHJ in person.
    Because the way you vent on this board makes me think that you're probably causing the AHJ personnel to view you very negatively.
    And human nature being what it is, if you're annoyed by someone you're probably less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    The code does have areas where things can be interpretted in multiple ways, so the inspector/plan reviewer can decide to take a more strict view of things. And that will cause you more delay in getting things done.
    In short - Try being more pleasant - remember the old adage "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

Comment

Originally posted by kellyvb View Post
      Funny, why would anyone bother to even think about doing anything solar with all this BS RED TAPE that is enforced on us. Its just not worth it IMO.
      It's not BS red tape.
      It is red tape - but it's not onerous and is there in the interest of safety.

Since my install was my own DIY job I can say it definitely can be worth it.
      Even having someone else do the install it can still be worth it depending on what the local costs are.
      (There are definitely cases where it isn't worth it too - ex. $.05/kwh to buy electricity and no net metering would make it very difficult to be financially viable. And there are areas like that. There's also areas where it's $.20/kwh and there is net metering - which makes the ROI very appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I hope you're much better at being polite and working with the AHJ in person.
        Because the way you vent on this board makes me think that you're probably causing the AHJ personnel to view you very negatively.
        And human nature being what it is, if you're annoyed by someone you're probably less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.
        The code does have areas where things can be interpretted in multiple ways, so the inspector/plan reviewer can decide to take a more strict view of things. And that will cause you more delay in getting things done.
        In short - Try being more pleasant - remember the old adage "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

Oh I was very polite...the first couple of times, but when then after they kept telling me lies, then launching a state investigation against me, the tone changed.

I don't mind the red tape, if the red tape is lawful. In this instance it is not and it has turned into a personal attack. And I should rephrase who. It isn't really the city. I don't think the actual city lawmakers know or care. It is the city's head building inspector. I may have to bring this attention to the city because right now it is me agains the building inspector.

Foo1bar, you actually do bring up a good point. I really probably shouldn't be dealing with the AJH anymore since this has become personal and go right to city council. I may not get anywhere with him.

Comment

Foo1bar, you actually do bring up a good point. I really probably shouldn't be dealing with the AJH anymore since this has become personal and go right to city council. I may not get anywhere with him.
          No, you really shouldn't.
          The most likely scenarios are you will wind up with the city council annoyed with you or they'll mostly ignore you and you'll still have to deal with the inspector who will now be more annoyed with you.
          There's very very little chance that the council will think you're right and he isn't.

If you really get to an impasse and it is absolutely necessary to go over his head, I would at that point get a well respected lawyer to write a letter. If you let the lawyer do his/her job they should be able to write a letter that will be better received than if you try to do it.

Comment

So response from the inspector. They won't budge on what is in the city code. He said I would have to get that changed through the city council. I was very polite and thanked him for the call back.

So I have never done anything with city council before so this will be a learning experience. The adventure continues.

Comment

So follow up on this.

City finally had to change their laws. No where in state code or industry standards does it say it has to be installed by a contractor. In fact they flat out lied on where they got their information and when it came down to it, they said..."Well the state re-defined what a Qualified Person is". Actually no they didn't, but I guess at this point I don't care, the change has now been made in city code.

Wohoo, I can finally get these panels off my garage floor and up where they belong.

Comment

So follow up on this.

City finally had to change their laws. No where in state code or industry standards does it say it has to be installed by a contractor. In fact they flat out lied on where they got their information and when it came down to it, they said..."Well the state re-defined what a Qualified Person is". Actually no they didn't, but I guess at this point I don't care, the change has now been made in city code.

Wohoo, I can finally get these panels off my garage floor and up where they belong.
                Congrats, you really pulled it off and not only for yourself but for anyone who follows. It is very easy to get distracted and get buried in irritating details about what they lied about but it sounds you kept your end goal always in sight and that's the only thing that matters now.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

Congrats, you really pulled it off and not only for yourself but for anyone who follows. It is very easy to get distracted and get buried in irritating details about what they lied about but it sounds you kept your end goal always in sight and that's the only thing that matters now.
                  Well, that, and also completing a perfect installation. Or hoping that the inspector who eventually comes up is unaware of the extent to which the OP pushed the issue to get the right to DIY. I'm sure that the inspectors are all fully professional and won't look at the OP's system any differently than any other system, but still, variance from one inspector to the next can be incredible, even when less than pure motives are set aside.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Well, that, and also completing a perfect installation. Or hoping that the inspector who eventually comes up is unaware of the extent to which the OP pushed the issue to get the right to DIY. I'm sure that the inspectors are all fully professional and won't look at the OP's system any differently than any other system, but still, variance from one inspector to the next can be incredible, even when less than pure motives are set aside.
                    somehow it rings the bell . I'm pretty sure OP will pass that eventually as there's limited # of items they can fail you for so if you're showing willingness to work with them and fix outstanding ones it comes to the end. OP also has more experience with his local AHJ than I had going through my only install.

Comment

somehow it rings the bell . I'm pretty sure OP will pass that eventually as there's limited # of items they can fail you for so if you're showing willingness to work with them and fix outstanding ones it comes to the end. OP also has more experience with his local AHJ than I had going through my only install.
                      The one item that would be a deal breaker is if the AHJ wants to see the paperwork showing the Contractor's license number that did the work.

Let's hope the inspector understands the ruling that a DIY is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

The one item that would be a deal breaker is if the AHJ wants to see the paperwork showing the Contractor's license number that did the work.

Let's hope the inspector understands the ruling that a DIY is allowed.
                        He asked OP to change the rule and OP complied I really don't see any problem here .

Comment

He asked OP to change the rule and OP complied I really don't see any problem here .
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I guess you haven't dealt with as many AHJ's as I have over my 40 years in the business. Each has their own interpretation of the rules based on their experience which is the Golden Rule.

Again I hope it all works out for the OP and the AHJ that makes the final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I guess you haven't dealt with as many AHJ's as I have over my 40 years in the business. Each has their own interpretation of the rules based on their experience which is the Golden Rule.

Again I hope it all works out for the OP and the AHJ that makes the final decision.
                              I was referring to the abilities of OP- inspector should be more careful what he wishes for or next time NEC gets updated . I think OP will be fine- as long as he doesn't turn this into personal fight and always keeps end goal in sight ignoring all small 'irregularities' in moral rules. They all just small time bureaucrats and it is in their nature despite it looks at times they do it on purpose and against you personally. In reality they just trying to keep their jobs.

Comment

I was referring to the abilities of OP- inspector should be more careful what he wishes for or next time NEC gets updated . I think OP will be fine- as long as he doesn't turn this into personal fight and always keeps end goal in sight ignoring all small 'irregularities' in moral rules. They all just small time bureaucrats and it is in their nature despite it looks at times they do it on purpose and against you personally. In reality they just trying to keep their jobs.
                                I agree. Their jobs are probably the most important thing on their mind along with making sure an installation is safe (which reflects on their job performance).

I also think the OP will end up with an approved system. I just want others to understand that even with written codes it will still come down to the interpretation of them by the AHJ.

Comment

Working...
                                X