Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Any chance for a pic or 2 of the backside showing racking/supports ?

Comment

• JFinch57
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2015

Can you post a picture of the back? My self installed 10.8KW Unirac system is set in almost 5 yards of concrete. The 2.6 yds sounds a bit light, but I'm sure that it meets spec.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JFinch57
        Can you post a picture of the back? My self installed 10.8KW Unirac system is set in almost 5 yards of concrete. The 2.6 yds sounds a bit light, but I'm sure that it meets spec.
        Another nice installation.

Did you do anything to reduce the amount of shade coming from those trees to the left of the array?

Comment

• jorgey
          • May 2015

Originally posted by dvseliteus
          Nice installation jorgey!
          Those look like pretty long spans for your vertical pipes.

I think that the picture is a little deceiving, it is all within IronRidge's specs and the pipes are 3" galvanized steel.

Comment

• jorgey
            • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            Any chance for a pic or 2 of the backside showing racking/supports ?

Here is a picture that I took 10 days ago of the backside. The picture is after a snow storm and I had just finished brushing off the panels. When I was done, I checked the SolarEdge app on my phone and was surprised that it was already generating over 3Kw with very little sun coming through. (You can see the sun just starting to peak through all of the clouds.)

The structure itself is 3" galvanized steel with IronRidge diagonal bracing, mounting hardware and XR1000 rails.

Although not needed and not called for in the plans, I installed a disconnect for each string at the array. If I have to do some maintenance, I can shut down only half of the array at a time and still keep generating.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• jorgey
              • May 2015

Very nice.

It looks like you used 2" pipe, is that correct? If I would have used 2" that would have doubled the number of piers and I would have then used about 5 1/4 yards of concrete. (Similar to your setup.) When I decided to go with the 3" pipe I was only thinking about the strength and having to drill less holes and have less piers. I wish I would have thought about how heavy the pipe would be. It was a beast!

Comment

• DaveDE2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2016

Looks like a bombproof professional installation. Nice job!

Where are you located? Looks like Colorado front range.

Comment

• jorgey
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by DaveDE2
                  Looks like a bombproof professional installation. Nice job!

Where are you located? Looks like Colorado front range.
                  Thanks

You're close, I'm next door in Utah.

Comment

• JFinch57
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

Another nice installation.

Did you do anything to reduce the amount of shade coming from those trees to the left of the array?
                    Yes, trimmed back the Maple tree, but right now there are no leaves and the sun is low! There's an oak tree to the right that's coming down soon. Also, I'll be getting a large construction lift in the spring to paint my house. That will make the tree trimming a breeze!

Comment

• JFinch57
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by jorgey

Very nice.

It looks like you used 2" pipe, is that correct? If I would have used 2" that would have doubled the number of piers and I would have then used about 5 1/4 yards of concrete. (Similar to your setup.) When I decided to go with the 3" pipe I was only thinking about the strength and having to drill less holes and have less piers. I wish I would have thought about how heavy the pipe would be. It was a beast!
                      Yes, the Unirac LA setup only uses 2" schedule 40 pipe. For the legs I drilled and tapped using a 7/16" X 3" galvanized bolt to anchor them.

Comment

• DanS26
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2011

Great job.

It appears that you created a ground ring around the array since you stated that you installed four ground rods. My only question is why you spiraled the GEC around the outside posts instead of a straight and short route to the rods?

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Yes, trimmed back the Maple tree, but right now there are no leaves and the sun is low! There's an oak tree to the right that's coming down soon. Also, I'll be getting a large construction lift in the spring to paint my house. That will make the tree trimming a breeze!
                          The problem with trimming, is in a couple years the tree is right back at the same height, if not as dense. The significant other says
                          I might as well just cut them down (which doesn't require hiring any equipment), so that is what I will do. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

The problem with trimming, is in a couple years the tree is right back at the same height, if not as dense. The significant other says
                            I might as well just cut them down (which doesn't require hiring any equipment), so that is what I will do. Bruce Roe
                            I love trees - to my south.

Comment

Working...