X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teeumup
    • May 2018

Your impression of what you want to do is exactly where I started! I was going to do all the design & drawings, all the nonlicensed physical work I could, buy all of the equipment and pull the permit....after my experience trying to find a licensed electrician that would do just the signoff, which I was unsuccessful at, I opted to use a solar contractor. That decision encountered more problems as most make their money off the labor and the materials....more off the materials. Since I had already bought most of the expensive equipment no one would bid the job and I called at least 20 companies. I ended up having 2 bids, one was about 50% higher than the company I hired. Plus the company I hired is doing all of the roofing work, the other guy would not. I also called a lot of roofers to install the racking and no one would do it. Talk is cheap about how a DIYer job can be easily completed with the right skills and knowledge, I spend weeks on the phone finding someone that could do the jobs I can't do and never found anyone. Someone has to pull the permit, good luck if you can do that on your own. I don't know what city you live in but Scottsdale is a little more friendly then most in Arizona if you are a licensed contractor and have the right relationships.....I do not. Just look at the drawing package required by the city for the permit, its not home sketches, they want to see detailed CAD drawing and I could not find anyone that would do that as a separate job unless you bought all your equipment from them, then it was between $500 to $1000 for that permit ready drawing package.

BTW I have been a PM and BSEE for over 30 years, I know what is required and can talk the talk, in Arizona if you can do what you envision, then list everyone you used here so others can do the same thing. I told a bunch of companies that this is a growth area for their business, even had one guy that wanted to go into business using a DIYer model. Usually, the response was "I have more work then I need and my money is in the equipment". I saved easily 50% on the equipment costs buying it myself. I also have an LLC so I was able to buy equipment by just registering my company for the wholesale pricing and of course eBay and craigslist. I have access to the Solaredge design system which was huge when negotiating with contractors as I already had the design laid out for my roof, most contractors rely on the fact that you don't know squat about your house, the building codes, design requirements, electrical requirements, your specific house loads, what you are trying to accomplish. if you are from AZ and you remember the 80's when every tom dick and harry was selling solar hot water heaters. most of the systems were designed overnight, fell apart almost as fast as the contractor left your property and the state of AZ almost went bankrupt on the tax rebates.....this is a similar situation but the city permit system is the firewall from letting that happen again so probably why its hard to pull the permit without being a legitimate licensed contractor.

hope this helps

the company I used is Southface Solar and Electrical.....owner is Corey Garrison and I dealt directly with him after a couple of hiccups, usually, you will have a salesperson involved. I highly recommend his company after everything I went through.

if you don't have the background and skills to design your own system and know exactly what you want to accomplish then you are open to the skill of the "salesperson". sort of like buying a timeshare or 80's solar hot water heater. be careful, do your homework, nothing is free and after September 1st your export tariff just went down 10% with APS. Every year for the next 10 years it will go down 10% until 10 years from now you won't get anything for your excess energy. That means without a serious big ass battery system you are wasting your money. The ultimate scam, the AZ utilities have shifted the financial burden of building new generation to the homeowner, they get your excess power basically free in 10 years and still sell it for their exorbitant rates. And the funny thing about electricity, it is lazy, it follows the path of least resistance so your excess generation is probably going to your neighbor's house and the utility is making a profit off of your investment. by just metering the loads...now that is the best business model in history and all it cost APS was getting the right corporation commissioner elected to the board that regulates them!

Comment

• teeumup
      • May 2018

Can anyone from Phoenix tell me how long after their solar system was construction complete before the utility, preferably APS, shows up to install the meter to let you use your system?
      I was just told that could be around 6 weeks! Now 6 weeks to install a meter is nothing more than a deliberate delay tactic to keep me from using my investment.....if it takes 6 weeks then I will start to call my politicians and the corporation commission to find out why it would take 6 weeks to install a meter unless it was deliberate.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by teeumup
        Can anyone from Phoenix tell me how long after their solar system was construction complete before the utility, preferably APS, shows up to install the meter to let you use your system?
        I was just told that could be around 6 weeks! Now 6 weeks to install a meter is nothing more than a deliberate delay tactic to keep me from using my investment.....if it takes 6 weeks then I will start to call my politicians and the corporation commission to find out why it would take 6 weeks to install a meter unless it was deliberate.
        The same happened to me 5 years ago in ILL, cost me $700 in KWH. In truth there is no good reason the
        new meter can't go in as soon as the job is approved to begin construction, avoid these issues. If you find
        a way to force this issue, let us know.

As another point, I might contend that my 20 year contract didn't begin till the meter went in. Bruce Roe

Comment

• teeumup
          • May 2018

Well, I have now generated 2MWh. I have installed the solaredge electricity meter and have full control of my solaredge monitoring platform which offers some nice analytics. getting ready to install the SquareD Wiser Energy Monitoring System so I can start to drill down into my load profile. I know a few folks advised me to throw in the towel. in the end, the real reason I didn't, no one knows the future cost of electricity. In AZ my rate almost doubled with one rate increase because of the corruption! No idea what the future holds but one thing is for certain, the sun will shine here almost better than anywhere in the USA, so it's almost stupid to not have solar in AZ if you have the money and sqft. Costs will come down as more people jump in. Hopefully, battery costs come way down in the next few years so I can stop all exporting of MY power. I still think batteries are a long way off unless they can get down to about $100 per kW.

already upgraded my solaredge inverter to their new HD Wave inverter.....again thank god for Ebay as I spend nothing on a brand new, in the box salvage unit and did the swap myself. This box is almost cold to the touch. my first unit worried me as it got extremely hot, to the point you could not really hold your hand on it. Sold my first generation inverter as soon as I posted it for what I paid for it. Getting ready to install a second 10Kw array with the solaredge Storedge inverter which I will use for the battery when I find one. Check out Jack Rickard of EVTV on youtube....he bloviates to the extreme but is smart, has too much money and is trying to crack the nut on a Tesla battery system he designed called the Powersafe 100, it's a 100Kw battery that uses a standard 48v charge controller. But beware his videos go on for hours.

Comment

Working...