Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

I remember the guy setting the cylinder on a scale and filling from a larger bullet - might be different for automotive use now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
      Sunking you happen to know how many KG in a gallon?
      Do not have time to convert right now but 1-gallon weighs 4.23 pounds. So it has to be just over a pound.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunny Solar
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2012

Russ thats how they do it with cylinders ,The tare weight is stamped on the cylinder and they just stop when it gets to tare +15 KG.
        For LPG in vehicles you either stop at some point you decide or fill until back pressure stops the flow.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

For home tanks like my 550 gallon unit, and I would assume for vehicles they use a float type gauge just like a regular vehicle would use for a liquid fuel.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Guess it would be a bit difficult to get that 550 unit on a scale!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
              For home tanks like my 550 gallon unit, and I would assume for vehicles they use a float type gauge just like a regular vehicle would use for a liquid fuel.
              And they stop when the container reaches about 80% capacity. My 1000 gallon tank only ever gets filled to 800 gallons.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                Russ thats how they do it with cylinders ,The tare weight is stamped on the cylinder and they just stop when it gets to tare +15 KG.
                For LPG in vehicles you either stop at some point you decide or fill until back pressure stops the flow.
                In the US, by law portable refillable LPG containers and residential stationary tanks must have an internal "dip tube" used as a vent when filling, and when the liquid inside the tank reaches the open bottom of the tube liquid starts coming from the vent and you know it is time to stop pumping.

Recently, as a "safety measure" LPG suppliers who exchange full tanks for empty ones have reduced the standard fill level, but kept the exchange price the same.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Naptown
                  And they stop when the container reaches about 80% capacity. My 1000 gallon tank only ever gets filled to 800 gallons.
                  20 years back I was organizing safety instruction for a bunch of part timers for a test campaign we were running - to do with hydrogen and CO production. One film was called BLEVE (boiling liquid, evaporating vapor explosion). Rather vivid examples of what happens when a LPG bullet blows - it tends to clear out the surrounding area with the diameter set by the volume of the bullet.

One part was somewhere in the SW where firemen were trying to extinguish flames from one bullet when the second one besdie the burning one blew. Observers sitting along the road 1/4 mile away were turned into crispy critters. Doubt they found anything of the firemen.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by russ
                    20 years back I was organizing safety instruction for a bunch of part timers for a test campaign we were running - to do with hydrogen and CO production. One film was called BLEVE (boiling liquid, evaporating vapor explosion). Rather vivid examples of what happens when a LPG bullet blows - it tends to clear out the surrounding area with the diameter set by the volume of the bullet.

One part was somewhere in the SW where firemen were trying to extinguish flames from one bullet when the second one besdie the burning one blew. Observers sitting along the road 1/4 mile away were turned into crispy critters. Doubt they found anything of the firemen.
                    Was at Stanford when a tank transfer accident caused a large liquid hydrogen leak, which ignited. Fortunately nothing else close. The last thing the firemen wanted to do was extinguish the flame! They concentrated on cooling the outside of the tank (separating it from the flare with a wall of water) until, about 12 hours later, everything had burned off.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• williaty
                      • Aug 2012

Wow, we're paying closer to $4/gal for LPG here.

So, several places on the net I've seen the statement that new, high-efficiency 120V fridges are so efficient now that they're about the same energy usage (via an inverter) as just buying a specialty 24V DC fridge. Is there any truth to this? On the one hand, I'd expect specialty built off-grid fridges to be the most efficient thing out there. On the other hand, energy usage is something appliances now compete on in big box stores, and that usually drives innovation. The specialty manufacturers publish energy consumption charts for inside vs outside temperatures but the 120V ones don't. Anyone have real data for this comparison?

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by inetdog
                        Was at Stanford when a tank transfer accident caused a large liquid hydrogen leak, which ignited. Fortunately nothing else close. The last thing the firemen wanted to do was extinguish the flame! They concentrated on cooling the outside of the tank (separating it from the flare with a wall of water) until, about 12 hours later, everything had burned off.
                        In the desert incident the leaking and burning bullet was manageable - the problem was the second tank that was boiling and ruptured - the expanding vapor cloud acts as an air fuel bomb - very nasty.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2012

before 1995 vehicles in Australia had the dip tube to tell you when the tank was full but now they have automatic cut off at about 80% full.
                          90% of all taxis in Aus run on LPG. Its usually half the price of gasoline or here petrol. 75c V $1.50 a litre
                          But in Philippines they just fill the portable cylinders until the weight is correct. And no one seems to worry much about test dates . all is ok if the tank is nicely repainted before delivery. Appearance is most important.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Like elevator inspections in much of the world - done every 50 years or so - needed or not.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by williaty
                              Wow, we're paying closer to $4/gal for LPG here.

So, several places on the net I've seen the statement that new, high-efficiency 120V fridges are so efficient now that they're about the same energy usage (via an inverter) as just buying a specialty 24V DC fridge. Is there any truth to this? On the one hand, I'd expect specialty built off-grid fridges to be the most efficient thing out there. On the other hand, energy usage is something appliances now compete on in big box stores, and that usually drives innovation. The specialty manufacturers publish energy consumption charts for inside vs outside temperatures but the 120V ones don't. Anyone have real data for this comparison?
                              I'm off grid, and use a Frigidaire 18CF top freezer, and it consumes just over 1KWh per day.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Holtdoa
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
                                Actually Quakers have not problem with electricity.
                                The Amish who are the primary users of gas refrigeration and make a good one don't like electricity.
                                Strange quirk of this religion is that they are allowed to have telephones computers and power tools for use in their business but not in their homes.
                                As I understand it, the problem is being tied to the grid. Something about being dependent. My step-son worked on an Amish farm for awhile and they were all about battery banks, PV panels, and generators.

Comment

Working...