Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ROSSABLANCA
    • Sep 2012

Fridge / freezers

Can anybody an this forum ,please enlighten me why? anybody in America would try to run a fridge freezer in a remote location off of electricity?
    I in England who as a property in Spain have the same problem, in Spain ( keeping the beer cold).
    Propane/ Butane fridges are the answer.
    In America you are the biggest users of gas refrigerators on the planet, ask the Quakers.
    I would also like to add , that when I tried to buy a decent sized (gas) fridge/ freezer, although it was made in the (eu) was only available through distributors in the (us).
    Regards Dave H.
    4 x 30.96v 250w panels
    6 x 120 ah batteries.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ROSSABLANCA
    Can anybody an this forum ,please enlighten me why? anybody in America would try to run a fridge freezer in a remote location off of electricity?
    Because there is no alternative being very remote where bringing in LPG is too expensive. The USA is a very large country. In some states your closest neighbor is 10 miles away and the gas station is 50 miles away.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
      Because there is no alternative being very remote where bringing in LPG is too expensive. The USA is a very large country. In some states your closest neighbor is 10 miles away and the gas station is 50 miles away.
      Over roads which are often closed during the winter.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

Actually Quakers have not problem with electricity.
        The Amish who are the primary users of gas refrigeration and make a good one don't like electricity.
        Strange quirk of this religion is that they are allowed to have telephones computers and power tools for use in their business but not in their homes.
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• ROSSABLANCA
          • Sep 2012

Gas fridges are very frugal with there gas usage, run silent 24/ 7.
          If blocked roads due to snow (winter) was the issue, the use of a fridge/freezer wouldnt be needed.
          How much outlay is neccasary to run a elecric freezer in winter?, short days ect.
          Just like a log fire, people would need to stock up fuel for cold periods, I am sure that the same people who live in these remote
          places would have the use of a pickup ect which would need to go to the gas station on a regular basis.
          Sorry for your disbelief but in my experience gas fridges are the way to go.
          Regards Dave H.
          4 x 30.96v 250w panels
          6 x 120 ah batteries.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Depends on location - on another forum, Marc has to bring the LPG in by boat - not easy. Some places in the US winter travel is a bit dangerous due to ice and snow plus mountain roads.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by ROSSABLANCA
              If blocked roads due to snow (winter) was the issue, the use of a fridge/freezer wouldnt be needed.
              Alas, we love our technology: We use refrigerator and freezer even when it is below freezing outside.
              More seriously, keeping frozen food at a constant low temperature preserves it better than temperatures just below freezing.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ROSSABLANCA
                • Sep 2012

If its such a major problem to get LPG to these remote areas, how do you get your food/fuel for generators ect, the grissly adams out there please refrain from answering.
                Being like the rest of the planet, I take it we are talking about the US, if it as snowed for a considerable time to have blocked roads ect, is it not when the days are at there shortest and the snow came out of clouds right. how will this have affected there solar powersystem?
                All I am trying to say is that in these harsh periods, the hard gained solar electricity would be much better used in other areas other than fridges/freezers.
                Dave H,
                4 x 30.96v 250w panels
                6 x 120 ah batteries.

Comment

• peakbagger
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2010

Most of the folks I know with propone refrigerators dream of the day when they can quit lugging propane tanks to and from their remote location. The problem with propane or butane is that there isnt a lot of btus/lb and the bulk containers weigh a lot empty so there is a lot of extra weight being moved around to transport the fuel. There are some kerosene fired units out there whihc probably less "lugging" but probably have an odor when operating. http://www.lehmans.com/store/Applian...erator___RK400

Most of propane installations I know of are the old Servels, usually at someones camp. There used to be a bounty on them to have them destroyed so a lot go them got scrapped. There is still someone in Maine that services them and has the "secret formula" for the heat transfer fluid.

The new Sundanzer batteryless refrigerator looks like the ticket for off grid installations.

There is a series of remote high mountain huts nearby that services hikers in the local mountains. They fly up all the heavy stuff with helicopters including propane for their stoves. All of the huts use Sun Frost refrigerators run off of solar panels. I expect they have gone through the economics more than few times.

Comment

• ROSSABLANCA
                    • Sep 2012

Enough is Enough, base price on a sunfrost fridge/ freezer 3000 dollars.
                    Last word on the subject from me.
                    Dave H.
                    4 x 30.96v 250w panels
                    6 x 120 ah batteries.

Comment

• peakbagger
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2010

Sundanzer batterty less refrigerator $1,200 plus solar panel at $2 per watt $300 total $1,500

Dometic Gas refrigerator $1,395 plus ongoing propane costs ?

Looks to me like Solar is pretty competitive

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2012

just out of curiosity how much does propane cost in USA? And by what quantity is it sold.? by the pound?gallon??
                        In Philippines a standard gas container holds 15kg and sells for about 850 peso about $21 US.
                        But that is expensive as average wage earner gets about 9,000 peso to 14,000 peso a month.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

By the pound but last time I bought it there was 95 so doubt the price is valid any longer - not to mention I don't remember anyway.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                            just out of curiosity how much does propane cost in USA? And by what quantity is it sold.? by the pound?gallon??
                            Sold by the gallon. Here in TX last time I filled up was $2.89/gallon
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2012

Sunking you happen to know how many KG in a gallon?

At service stations for vehicles LPG is sold by the litre

Comment

Working...