Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel panel amperage problems?

Hello,

Im new to this forum as is my history of solar panel systems. I have two Panasonic 330w panels wired in parallel with Renogy MC4 parallel connectors. in the evening light i was receiving 62V and about 4.00 amps per panel. However, when i connect them in parallel I'm not getting the increased amperage. its still reading as if i were taking a reading from one single panel. I've contacted Renogy tech support and they mentioned that because it was open circuit it may not read combined amperage. im not entirely sure if that statement is correct. If you could assist in steering me in the right direction id be very grateful!

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Describe your method for parallel wiring the panels together and the voltage and amperage readings when wired together.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I hope that's able to show you accurately what I'm dealing with.

Thank you for your help!

15499371138928422671017022199615.jpg
      154993722440692135444823366707.jpg
      15499373005434872455911864439821.jpg

As you can see I'm not getting a combined amperage when connected in the first photo. The other two are the individual panel readings.

Comment

If you are using the ammeter on a Charge Controller, the 4A figure you see may reflect just how much current the batteries can currently take, not how much the panels can deliver.
        If you use a simple ammeter connected to the panel output (almost shorting them) then you will see the Imax current, and you can assume that the Impp will scale the same way.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Inetdog,

I'm just currently testing the panels themselves. I was just curious if the no increase in amperage while connected in parallel was a result to me taking the readings as an open circuit and if completing the circuit would result in the correct amperage

Comment

Originally posted by A6C5O7 View Post
            Inetdog,

I'm just currently testing the panels themselves. I was just curious if the no increase in amperage while connected in parallel was a result to me taking the readings as an open circuit and if completing the circuit would result in the correct amperage
            By definition, you cannot have current in an open circuit. The current has to flow somewhere. The question is whether you are using something as a load (problem!) or connecting the panel terminals directly to the two terminals of the ammeter (measuring what could be called the short circuit current, symbolized by IMAX.

If you are measuring voltage and current at the same time you do not have either an open circuit or a short circuit.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Inetdog,

How can there be any current flow on an open circuit? Did someone co opt Ohm's law? When one connects Amp meter leads to a source without a load, one creates a short circuit, correct? Is that what inetdog was asking?
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Plug your red test probe into the 10A jack, it looks like you have it in the V jack.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                  Plug your red test probe into the amps jack.
                  If you see sparks fly you found the right jack.LOL
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

If you see sparks fly you found the right jack.LOL
                    That comes later, when he forgets to put the test lead back in the V jack and tries to measure the battery voltage (speaking from personal experience).

Comment

Inetdog,

Sorry I meant to specify that it was suggested to take a reading while the system, not circuit was completed with a charge controller and battery but I'm still wondering is if I'm going crazy or not if I m correct in saying that readings direct from the panel while in parallel should be a combination reading of the two?

Comment

Sdold,

I did what you suggested but received no reading.

​​Sorry if I'm fumbling this guy's.

Comment

Sdold,

I did what you suggested but received no reading.

​​Sorry if I'm fumbling this guy's.
                          Just now? Is it daytime where you are? I'd do it with one panel at a time, because 10A is the max for that meter range.

Comment

Sdold,
                            ​​​​​​
                            No it's night time. The pictures I took above were at night. We have alot of light pollution here so I still get some readings.

Comment

They only produce power during the day, primarily at mid day. You might see some voltage under low light conditions, but little or no current will be produced. Try it tomorrow around noon. In fact it would be educational to connect the ammeter early in the morning, and watch the value rise as the day progresses. You'll see how little current is produced in the early morning, and how you really get the majority of the current closer to noon. It's OK to parallel the panels for this as long as the sum doesn't exceed 10 amps.
                              Last edited by sdold; 02-12-2019, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X