Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcroe
    replied
    I NEVER use the current scale on multi meters. I put some kind of shunt in the circuit, or use
    a clamp on meter. No interrupting circuit operation, and no smoke. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Originally posted by sdold View Post
    That comes later, when he forgets to put the test lead back in the V jack and tries to measure the battery voltage (speaking from personal experience).
    Haha, speaking from personal experience? That is when the smoke escaped from one of my former VOMs.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by A6C5O7 View Post
    Sdold,

I did what you suggested but received no reading.

​​Sorry if I'm fumbling this guy's.
    If there is no current reading when the meter probe is plugged into the 10A jack, most likely there is a blown 10A fuse inside the meter (probably inside the battery case for easy access).
    You also probably need to manually set the meter to the 10A range instead of depending on autoranging.
    Last edited by inetdog; 02-12-2019, 04:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A6C5O7
    replied
    Sdold,

They are Panasonic 330w panels, VBHN330SA16

Thank you for your help

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    They only produce power during the day, primarily at mid day. You might see some voltage under low light conditions, but little or no current will be produced. Try it tomorrow around noon. In fact it would be educational to connect the ammeter early in the morning, and watch the value rise as the day progresses. You'll see how little current is produced in the early morning, and how you really get the majority of the current closer to noon. It's OK to parallel the panels for this as long as the sum doesn't exceed 10 amps.
    Last edited by sdold; 02-12-2019, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A6C5O7
    replied
    Sdold,
    ​​​​​​
    No it's night time. The pictures I took above were at night. We have alot of light pollution here so I still get some readings.

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    Sdold,

Just now? Is it daytime where you are? I'd do it with one panel at a time, because 10A is the max for that meter range.

Leave a comment:

• A6C5O7
    replied
    Sdold,

Leave a comment:

• A6C5O7
    replied
    Inetdog,

Sorry I meant to specify that it was suggested to take a reading while the system, not circuit was completed with a charge controller and battery but I'm still wondering is if I'm going crazy or not if I m correct in saying that readings direct from the panel while in parallel should be a combination reading of the two?

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    Originally posted by Ampster View Post

If you see sparks fly you found the right jack.LOL
    That comes later, when he forgets to put the test lead back in the V jack and tries to measure the battery voltage (speaking from personal experience).

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Originally posted by sdold View Post
    Plug your red test probe into the amps jack.
    If you see sparks fly you found the right jack.LOL

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    Plug your red test probe into the 10A jack, it looks like you have it in the V jack.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Inetdog,

I'm just currently testing the panels themselves. I was just curious if the no increase in amperage while connected in parallel was a result to me taking the readings as an open circuit and if completing the circuit would result in the correct amperage
    How can there be any current flow on an open circuit? Did someone co opt Ohm's law? When one connects Amp meter leads to a source without a load, one creates a short circuit, correct? Is that what inetdog was asking?

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Inetdog,

I'm just currently testing the panels themselves. I was just curious if the no increase in amperage while connected in parallel was a result to me taking the readings as an open circuit and if completing the circuit would result in the correct amperage
    By definition, you cannot have current in an open circuit. The current has to flow somewhere. The question is whether you are using something as a load (problem!) or connecting the panel terminals directly to the two terminals of the ammeter (measuring what could be called the short circuit current, symbolized by IMAX.

If you are measuring voltage and current at the same time you do not have either an open circuit or a short circuit.

Leave a comment:

• A6C5O7
    replied
    Inetdog,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X