My Offgrid House & My Programable Solar BMS for any type of Lithium battery.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electrodacus
    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
    This IS constructive criticism. We are saying, that while the design works on paper, and for small batteries and for small inverters that won't pull much power, it's OK. But once a person trys to run a house or something larger, it will work for a time, but long term, it's going to haunt you. There WILL be failures and returns, because of the meager 20A terminal. Wires in parallel are a bad idea, they seldom share the current, and will sequentially fail, in the long term.
    In the USA states, the lawyer fees from the first court case will bankrupt you.

Are you using 3 or 4 oz copper in the PCB to handle the current ? Even the high current paths in the PCB will turn into fuses and mess the inside of the module all up.

I think I was not clear in some regards. This is not a professional product and dose not have any type of warranties or claims.
    It will also not come with any type of certifications.
    I will need to add this disclaimer to Kickstarter description as well so there is no misunderstanding.
    This will be produced in low volume probably around 50 to 100pcs and used by anyone on their own risk.
    It is a product designed specifically for my needs and I'm willing to share the cost of manufacturing with others that need something similar.

There are numerous products that use parallel paths for current transfer to many to give an example (OK one example ATX connector on computer power supply) and is extremely common for PCB mounted connectors. One reason as you pointed is the copper thickness by spreading the current on multiple points on the PCB you can transport higher total current.
    Yes I will have at least 4 oz copper or more if the manufacturer will support and that will be on aluminium substrate (there is a separate PCB for the power connector and MOSFET's)

So this is not a product for anyone that is why it will not be easy to find even the minimum 50 that I will need for Kickstarter.
    Just got the green light from Kickstarter and I will probably start on Monday and run this for 30 days.

Thanks for the comment especially for the legal issue part.

Comment

• electrodacus
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Naptown
      The Canadian standards are similar to the US
      It would be against the NEC to parallel #12 conductors to acheive an 80 amp capacity.
      This is only legal here for over 1/0 conductors. I am sure Sunking will correct me if I am wrong.
      Thanks, if there is such a limitation I will like to see but I doubt there is. I'm not familiar with NEC but it will not make much sense. I will be especially interested in the reasons they will have such a limitation.

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

Then look at the CSA standards which is the Canadian equal to the NEC.
        Yes you could probably do what you want to with CSA llisting (basically the same as a UL listing) BUT GENERALLY MORE STRINGENT.
        You are opening yourself up to a major liability if something goes wrong with one of your systems and it is not a listed product.
        Good luck and I hope nothing goes wrong.
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• electrodacus
          • Mar 2014

Then look at the CSA standards which is the Canadian equal to the NEC.
          Yes you could probably do what you want to with CSA llisting (basically the same as a UL listing) BUT GENERALLY MORE STRINGENT.
          You are opening yourself up to a major liability if something goes wrong with one of your systems and it is not a listed product.
          Good luck and I hope nothing goes wrong.
          I'm not familiar with any of them I only worked in the electronic industry low voltage, low current DC
          Do they cover low voltage battery powered systems <32Vdc?
          I will like to know if there are specifics in this codes referring to that. I will need to find the code and see I I can get the parts that apply to my product.
          Not that this product will be UL listed as I mentioned before it will be probably to expensive for a low volume product like this.
          One of the reason I used 24V DC as max was the safety reason.

Anyone that installs an unlisted product must take full responsibility for that. There must be a category where I can sell my product as an unlisted product for DIY users that want to have this for their electric bike or small offgrid cabin.
          The legal part is an unknown to me so if someone can help me here I will be grateful.
          I'm sure making this a listed product is not possible do to costs involved. Or I'm wrong?

One thing that I can allays do is limit the overcurrent protection in software at any level for both charge and discharge paths.
          Overcurrent is done in hardware but with possibility to set that from software.

Comment

• electrodacus
            • Mar 2014

Some of you mentioned the legal ramification in selling an unlisted product (thanks for that)
            Is there any way around?
            I need to know before my project go live on Monday so I can make the necessary changes or even take it out if necessary.
            UL certification will probably not be possible for a product in such a low volume the cost will kill the project.
            One more thing I'm not a company but an individual person if that makes any difference.

Your help with this is highly appreciated.

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by electrodacus
              Some of you mentioned the legal ramification in selling an unlisted product (thanks for that)
              Is there any way around?
              I need to know before my project go live on Monday so I can make the necessary changes or even take it out if necessary.
              UL certification will probably not be possible for a product in such a low volume the cost will kill the project.
              One more thing I'm not a company but an individual person if that makes any difference.

Your help with this is highly appreciated.
              every one in my family is a lawyer Brother, Sister (former compliance officer for Johnson and Johnson) and wife who does safety law.
              You are treading on very thin ice with your family and personal assets going down the path you have chosen from a liability standpoint. you have no corporate veil to protect you from a product liability case.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

The Canadian standards are similar to the US
                It would be against the NEC to parallel #12 conductors to acheive an 80 amp capacity.
                This is only legal here for over 1/0 conductors. I am sure Sunking will correct me if I am wrong.
                You are spot on correct and same for CSA which is a mirror image of NEC - 1 cycle.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by electrodacus
                  I'm not familiar with any of them I only worked in the electronic industry low voltage, low current DC
                  Do they cover low voltage battery powered systems <32Vdc?
                  CSA and NEC cover all electrical premises wiring and does not differentiate between AC DC high or low voltage with the exception of article 700 applications of limited power Class 1 and Class 2 which covers things like AV, data, sensors door bells etc...
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• electrodacus
                    • Mar 2014

every one in my family is a lawyer Brother, Sister (former compliance officer for Johnson and Johnson) and wife who does safety law.
                    You are treading on very thin ice with your family and personal assets going down the path you have chosen from a liability standpoint. you have no corporate veil to protect you from a product liability case.
                    There must be a way I will not be legally liable.
                    Even if I need to sell this as a display only with a warning do not connect to any power source this is just for display
                    I hope I do not need to go that far. It seems Europe is extremely different in this respect for low volume production.
                    Can you ask anyone in your family what is the best option for me. Else I will just not sell this product. At least not in US and Canada.
                    As for my own use I take full responsibility for using this. For my personal use is the safest product I can use(designed and tested by me what can be better than that ).
                    If my house burns down it will not affect anyone but me since is offgriid far from any other construction. At least is what I think maybe I will be sued because the smoke will pollute the atmosphere .

I promise I do not enjoy my self this can ruin what i worked on at lest in the last few weeks preparing this for Kickstarter.
                    The other product that I produced and sold was in Europe and was also a micro-controller development board not sure how anyone can burn down the house with that but everything is possible.

Comment

• electrodacus
                      • Mar 2014

What do you think about this disclaimer added to the Kickstarter page will it be enough?
                      Maybe I will even print a sticker and apply this to each individual product.

Important Disclaimer:

I will not assume any responsibility for injuries lose of life or property do to proper or improper use of this product.
                      The product is intended for educational purposes only there will be a series of videos on my youtube channel describing in details the functionality of the hardware and software used and both will be open sourced so you can do your own modifications.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

That may scare away a lot of kickstarter responses....
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2012

eLECTRODACUS. It seems its hard to get you to understand than multiple small cables used trying to share current is VERY BAD DESIGN.. There is no one on this forum that will ever agree with you...Its an instant red flag to everyone. I showed the photo today to 3 engineers .ALL instantly said whats with the "silly" screw connectors??.I said he wants to current share.. ..REALLY. ? .Their advice rate the thing at 15a and use one connector for each in and out..and remove the other screws.

Sorry cant give brand names of items we test as items we test may or may not be exactly the same as the ones you would purchase commercially..

I will give example.. .Manufacturer x1 sends a inverter to evaluate .I test and find it great and really good features.. I really like it can handle input v dc up to 16.5v. I tell people this is great device wait for it to be on sale.. It comes on sale but can only accept up to 14.8v. Friends buy it and tell me I gave bad info.. Now don't trust me.. I contact manufacturer. They just reply it was "to expensive to make like that" ..Also some items we test never even get to production.

Comment

• electrodacus
                            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                            That may scare away a lot of kickstarter responses....
                            I agree with you but if that protects me is OK.
                            I will attract them in a different way like making the software and hardware open source that way also the responsibility gets shared since they can modify the hardware and software.

Comment

• electrodacus
                              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
                              eLECTRODACUS. It seems its hard to get you to understand than multiple small cables used trying to share current is VERY BAD DESIGN.. There is no one on this forum that will ever agree with you...Its an instant red flag to everyone. I showed the photo today to 3 engineers .ALL instantly said whats with the "silly" screw connectors??.I said he wants to current share.. ..REALLY. ? .Their advice rate the thing at 15a and use one connector for each in and out..and remove the other screws.

Sorry cant give brand names of items we test as items we test may or may not be exactly the same as the ones you would purchase commercially..

I will give example.. .Manufacturer x1 sends a inverter to evaluate .I test and find it great and really good features.. I really like it can handle input v dc up to 16.5v. I tell people this is great device wait for it to be on sale.. It comes on sale but can only accept up to 14.8v. Friends buy it and tell me I gave bad info.. Now don't trust me.. I contact manufacturer. They just reply it was "to expensive to make like that" ..Also some items we test never even get to production.
                              Current sharing is what I want to do and how I want to use the device. Anyone can remove the screws and limit the current from software to 16A (there is no 15A option) Next is 24A for charging that is more than 20A so it can not be used with one single screw and 32A for discharging so 16A will work for both.
                              Why is an ATX power supply connector different and allowed to share current usually 20 or 24pin with 5A max per pin and AWG 18 copper conductor? Some ATX power supply can deliver power in excess of 1000W with smaller voltage most power on the 12V rail.
                              I think you think this parallel connections are for power transmission and they are not.
                              There is no way to insert more than 20A in a single point on a PCB so you need power sharing for PCB mount connectors where more than 20A is required.

I decided I will make this open source HW and SW so people can use the design and modify to met their needs.
                              Maybe even some small companies will take this and make a product now that most of the design is done and since will be open source many will contribute and improve the design.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • May 2012

Electrodacus you are looking the wrong way at how a computer supply works.. It doesent have current sharing in the true sense.. In a computer it has many +12 and +5v output wires from the supply but at no stage do they reconnect again at their other ends. Each wire goes to a different device. ie hard drive,DVD player etc.. in yours they start from a common line and reconnect again to a common line.. The problem is if one wire now has poor connection at either end the other wires have to share its load. That doesn't happen in a computer. If a plug say to the DVD player becomes a bad connection that DVD player cant get additional load from another wire. It just stops working.

If you want to pursue that design. And it may basically be a good one. You just need to reconsider firstly the connections and always keep in mind it will mostly be used by "average" mechanically and electrically knowledgeable people.. You have to make it reasonably "idiot " proof.. .

Comment

Working...