Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happens between OVD and CLV values of a controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The server PSUs are smaller than i had expected and really quiet. For some reason i was expecting them to be shoebox-sized, but they're more like a slightly-too-tall paperback book. Packaging such a PSU in an oversized common case with a quality charger (capable of charging down to 1S) should be totally do-able, but evidently the large-capacity-cell LFP market is too small for any company to bother with making one. I reckon we should be grateful there's anything at all like the Revo stuff!

Sorry, no personal experience with modding PSUs myself. Unless you have access to them at a screaming price it's probably not worth the trouble to DIY when that site's prices are so good. I like DIY for its own sake, but sometimes i just want to buy a tool to do a job ; )

For making your own dump loads to do discharging, I briefly experimented with building "power resistors" out of wooden pencils following advice from this site. You end up with ~2Ohm-per-inch resistors which can handle getting warm. Instructions say you need a 2.1mm drill bit for a mandrel...tricky to find in the states...i used 5/64" and it was pretty tight but worked. Parallel a bunch of very short ones until you get to the 0.15Ohm SunKing suggested, and you have a workable dump load for a 1S config. They can literally be made for free out of junk, which is cool.

Or, you know, just buy some power resistors. I got as far as making and measuring a single "pencil" resistor, then ended up getting the GT1200. The revo gives me enough of a discharge solution so i had to set aside that fun distraction and move on with battery maintenance.

Right now i have the truck pulled up alongside the trailer and am discharging into the starter battery. When i saw discharge current begin to fall (starter battery was full), i turned on the headlights, high-beams, fan, radio... The very finest in redneck variable load technology!

- Jerud
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    1220W array (4x 305W Astronergy panels @ 48V)
    1000Ah LFP house bank (5P4S HiPower 200Ah cells)
    MPPT solar charge controller (MidniteSolar Classic 150)
    2800W PSW Inverter (Magnum MS2812)
    ME-RC, Trimetric, and JLD404
    2001 Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel 25 foot, self-rebuilt

www.livesmallridefree.com

Comment

Working...
    X