what happens between OVD and CLV values of a controller?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by racmaster
    please check my answer to your previous reply #7 .
    I assume you mean this?

however, pnjunction, if my charging limit voltage is 13.85, then should no float happen, isnt it? float in my scenario based on those values should go like this:

until 13.75v - bulk
    13.75 - absorb starts and lasts 10 minutes based on set counter RaisDur: 10
    then float - charging voltage goes down to specified 13.65v
    if even afterward SOC rises, charging will be completly shutoff at specified charging limit 13.85v set.

this is how i understand these settings vs process flow now, after your explanations. is it right?
    Not exactly, you still do not have your head wrapped around what Bulk, Absorb, and Float are.

There are only two charge modes of either Constant Current or Constant Voltage. Bulk, Absorb, Float, Equalize, Refresh are all just confusing terms to make a consumer confused.

Bulk is constant Current, all the rest are Constant Voltage. If you were to buy a Float Charger for lead acid, or CC/CV for lithium is the exact same charger. Both have a Bulk (CC) ,and Float (CV) stages. All modes be it Bulk or whatever stage you want to call it like Hocus Pokus have a voltage set point. For a 4S lithium and Pb is 14.4 volts. Absolutely no difference. When you connect a charger, let's say a 20 amp charger, to a discharged battery of let's say 12 volts. When you connect the discharged battery you are not going to see 14.4 volts. Nothing remotely close to 14.4 volts. For demonstration purpuses let's say both batteries are 100 AH, and each has an internal resistance of .02 Ohms. From here it is simple math.

Battery Under Charge Voltage = OCV + [Ri x Charge Current] We already defined OCV of 12 volts or a fully discharged battery, and with a 20 amp charger (C/2 on a 100 AH battery) you will initially only see 12 volts + [20 amps x .02 Ohms] = 12.4 volts. The battery OCV forced the charger to become a Constant Current source. The Charger has a current regulator that will not allow it to deliver more than 20 amps. As the battery charges up, the OCV will rise and continue to rise for 4 to 5 hours. When the OCV of the battery is 14.0 volts, will begin the Absorb Phase. When the battery OCV reaches 14.1 volts there will only be 14.4 - 14.1 volts / .02 Ohms = 15 amps. At 14.2 is 10 amps. At 14.3 is 5 amps. At 14.4 both charger and battery OCV are equal and current stops.

Nothing magic happened, nothing switched on or off. It is pure Ohms Law of voltage and resistance relationship. Now we can add a circuit to do something like change the Voltage Set Point or Turn the Charger Off. Example we add a current measurement with some simple logic that says if Current = 5 amps or less, we do something. One thing we can do is lower the Voltage to say 13.6 volts and call it Abracadbra. No lets call it FLOAT so we fool Karrak and the John Doe homeowner. Sounds better. Why 5 amps and 13.6 volts? Because 5 amps on a 100 AH Pb and LFP is the point both batteries are fully charged. If we were to hold 14.4 volts on either battery would be an over charge. On Pb battery we would gas the batteries and corrode the plates. On a Lithium battery becomes unstable and plating lithium metal onto the anodes.

So you roll the voltage back on both. When you do that the Surface Charge on the plates will bleed off and hold at full charge. Any power demands from that point come from the charger if it remains. However very few chargers made for lithium will fall back to a lower voltage. They shut off.

Now if you were to watch the voltage on a PB and LFP battery, you would see they are not alike. A Pb battery would be a nice straight slope slope from 12 to 14.4 volts. On a LFP would look radically different like the slope you seen in Karrak's graph. It would jump up very quickly from 12 volts to 13,2 volts and pretty much stay there struggling upwards to 13.6 volts when it reaches about 90% SOC, then shoots up real fast that last 10% to 14.4 where you do not want to go.

Solar is a piss poor choice to charge LFP batteries because the charge current is unknown at any point in time. That means you cannot use a current trigger. Your battery could be 50% SOC at noon with only 5 amps and falsely trips the circuit because a cloud or haze passes over. There are no charge controllers that can work properly with Lithium. It takes an external control, a damn BMS. So what do you do? Simple choose 1 voltage of roughly 3.4 volts and allow the battery to saturate and FLOAT. That would be 13.6 volts on a 4S battery.

So far you are not ready to do anything. You have not balanced your batteries. Until you do that, you are spinning your wheels and risking damage. Decide Top or Bottom period. To do that you must connect all cells in parallel and walk away for a few hours. Then either discharge them to 2.5 volts, or charge them to 3.65 volts. Take your pick. Once balanced, lithium batteries do not go unbalanced quickly unless you have a BMS or Voltage Monitor taps. Those wil be a parasitic loads of uneven current draw. Both my Ev's only need balanced about once a year. If your batteries are in good shape has a self discharge of about 1% a month. Some maybe .8% and some 1.2% a month. So it takes a long time for any imbalance to occur. If you TOP balance periodically check cell voltages. All should be within .01 volts at the TOP. If you Bottom Balance should be within .01 volts near the bottom.

Now here is the difference betwen Bottom and Top Balance. With Top Balance the only thing that is known is 100% SOC. It does not tell you what capacity the pack is. Chi-Com cells especially Winston cells are notorius and can be +/- 10% of rated capacity. So when at 100% SOC you can have one cell at 90 AH and another at 110 AH which means you only have a 90 AH pack. That 90 AH pack i sin real danger of being over discharged. Th eother 3 cells wil eat and destroy it if the cell voltage goes to 2.5 volts or less.

Bottom Balance you know exactly what the capacity and SOC is. At 2.5 volts per cell capacity = 0 AH and SOC is exactly 0%. When you charge the cells in series, every cell has the exact same capacity. When they discharge, all cells voltages will be the same at the low end. Eliminates over discharge. Set you LVD from 11 to 12 or more volts, and you are safe.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• karrak
      • May 2015

battery is used on my cottage as offgrid, to power some led lights, notebook, small 5amp water pumps and so on... nothing big. charging current about 25a max, but currently its snowy weather, so up to 1 amp )
      This being the case I assume like us that you want to store as much power in the battery as possible to carry you through the cloudy days?

When I first commissioned my system I used the accepted wisdom that you shouldn't charge them up to 100% as it would dramatically lessen their lifespan. I tried to charge the battery to around 90% and not float charge it but found this impractical as it required a charge voltage of around 3.375V which meant that on sunny days the charge controller would go into the Absorb/CV phase and start limiting the charge current at less than 70%SOC. This meant that it took for ever to complete the charge and I would run out of sun.

After further research and seeing what other people are doing I opted to charge at 3.45V/cell (27.6V for my 24V battery) and terminate the charge when the voltage had reached 27.6V and the charge current had dropped below C/50 and then drop to a float voltage of 3.35v. Contrary to what Sunking is saying there are a number of solar controllers that will terminate the charge when the voltage reaches the CV voltage and the current drops below a certain value, you can also approximate this by setting the absorb time, around 1/4-1/2 an hour is a good time for LFP batteries. This charge regime has worked very well for not only me by numerous other people that are using it and if there is enough sun results in a battery that is around 98% full at the end of the day.

Because this scheme takes the battery to around 99% full you have to make sure that the battery is balanced at the top end. Unless all your cells are the same capacity you cannot have them balanced at the top and bottom end. For me it is more important to have the battery balanced at the top end because that is where my battery spends most of its time. As I said I hardly ever go below 30%SOC. If you have something that is monitoring the individual cell voltages all the time and will turn off the load and/or give an audible alarm if any of the cell voltages go below a safe level there is no way that you can damage your battery by over discharging it. You can do this with something as simple as a Cellog 8 which will only monitor the individual cell voltage, does not have any balancing function and cannot make your battery go out of balance, even if it malfunctions.

btw, next week no sun predicted, so i plan to charge it with classic leadacid 20a "smart" charger as there is nothing better. what i suppose is the charger recognizes it as almost fully charged, so maybe bulk part will be skipped and some absorption or float will occure. i plan to sit there and monitor it by hand to prevent overcharging, hoping to get some 10-20% higher soc and then turning it off. have no better idea currently and some power would be usefull to have. charging will go from petrol generator for about a hour or so. any hint?
      The smart charger will most likely try to charge your battery to ~14.5V and then float charge it at ~13.8V which is only OK if your battery is top balanced. If you had a cellog 8 you would get an audible alarm if any of the cells goes too high. If you are checking manually you have to be really diligent, the voltage can go too high in a matter of minutes.

was also thinking to use the old lead acid charger as an input to the solar controller mppt 30a, which could be theoreticaly nice as it could take care for the charging process without my fulltime attention, but as im not sure what that could make, im not going to risk that. would be nice if that would be working, but things will not be probably so easy... do you have any experience or ideas regarding charging with ac leadacid charger/solar controler and lifepo4?
      Not sure that the solar controller will work with this. What will work is of you buy one of the RC chargers and use it to charge the LFP battery. I have a Reaktor 300W which is not expensive and works very well.

Simon

Off grid 24V system, 6x190W Solar Panels, 32x90ah Winston LiFeYPO4 batteries installed April 2013
      BMS - Homemade Battery logger github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor/wiki
      Latronics 4kW Inverter, homemade MPPT controller
      Last edited by karrak; 01-03-2018, 08:16 PM.
      Off-Grid LFP(LiFePO4) system since April 2013

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by karrak

When I first commissioned my system I used the accepted wisdom that you shouldn't charge them up to 100% as it would dramatically lessen their lifespan. I tried to charge the battery to around 90% and not float charge it but found this impractical as it required a charge voltage of around 3.375V which meant that on sunny days the charge controller would go into the Absorb/CV phase and start limiting the charge current at less than 70%. This meant that it took for ever to complete the charge and I would run out of sun.

After further research and seeing what other people are doing I opted to charge at 3.45V/cell (27.6V for my 24V battery) and terminate the charge when the voltage had reached 27.6V and the charge current had dropped below C/50 and then drop to a float voltage of 3.35v. Contrary to what Sunking is saying there are a number of solar controllers that will terminate the charge when the voltage reaches the CV voltage and the current drops below a certain value, you can also approximate this by setting the absorb time, around 1/4-1/2 an hour is a good time for LFP batteries. This charge regime has worked very well for not only me by numerous other people that are using it and if there is enough sun results in a battery that is around 98% full at the end of the day.
        Complete BS and make believe science.

Makes no fricking difference what battery or voltage you use. If there is no sun on cloudy days, there is no fricking power except in never never land of Karrak. Please explain to the world how you get power where there is none to be had. What laws of physics change in your make believe world? What idiot would turn off his solar system if the battery is charged except you.

The rest of of want our panels to supply power when the sun is shinning and save our batteries until after dark and for the next cloudy day if that happens. Your way starts you off behind the 8-ball. Any off grid solar system must have a generator for those cloudy spells or you go dark and wait for a few bright sunny days to recharge.

Karrak your logic is completely moronic and lacks even the most basic common sense.
        Last edited by Sunking; 01-03-2018, 08:19 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• karrak
          • May 2015

so to get back to conclusion, my limit voltages could be fine for my purpose 30-80soc? no matter of what charging current will flow from panel? (0-25a)
          I think it is impractical to keep your battery in the 30%-80%SOC range by using voltage as there is so little voltage difference between an SOC fo 30% and 80% and the fact that the battery voltage is dependent on the current going into or out of the battery which is variable.

If you wanted to keep in the 30%-80%SOC range I think you would have to use an SOC meter to control your solar charge controller and provide the LVD (low voltage disconnect) for your inverter. I think an SOC meter is a very handy thing to have with LFP batteries as they are very accurate because of the very high charge efficiency of LFP batteries of greater than 99%. Due to inaccuracies in measuring the current and charge efficiency of the battery the SOC meter has to be reset on a regular basis by charging the battery to around 99%-100%.

BTW my battery is just fine, when it was new a 200A (~0.55C) load on it dropped the overall battery voltage by ~1.00V which includes the wiring losses , this equates to an overall battery resistance of ~5mOhms (0.005Ohms). Today the same 200A still produces a ~1.00V volt drop. There is not a problem with my battery, there is a problem with Sunking's understanding of battery chemistry.

Simon

Off grid 24V system, 6x190W Solar Panels, 32x90ah Winston LiFeYPO4 batteries installed April 2013

Comment

• racmaster
            • Nov 2016

ok sunking, brainstorming session is helping me bit by bit, here is how your info landed in my brain, pls check, if thats right...

1 - the dammed ac smart leadacid charger question - if i understood your point about chargers, they in fact have not so much phases, just a - "charging" or b - "stand by and get ready for load to suppor by power". lets forget the equalizing by overvoltage for this time... this promises a opportunity for me to use this old leadacid charger for lifepo, of course in attended mode and not let it charge higher then mentioned safer 70soc, which could be about 13.5 or 13.6. then turn it off by hand. this could result in pushing some 10,20ah into battery without any serious risk. isnt it? or is it not so easy and other threats are there? which i didnt realize yet...

2 - i counted several scenarios i have and had here with your internal resistance formula in vice versa ways. seems like it perfectly sits and answeres some of my long time opened questions...
            just to be sure, today the sun was there even if not predicted, co i was able to test those limit values in live... what happened is, that the battery reached my 13.85 charging limit set and then the controller switched to float, voltage went down, current also, no charging, standby, waiting for load. after load happened battery was untouched, all power came from panel. everything works as designed...

the problem occured was: voltage i measured on battery was -0.2V in comparison with battery voltage measured by controller. so the value 13.85 which stopped the charging was in fact only about 13.65. charging current was cca 10a, so based on this formula it gives exactly 0.2v difference if i pressume my new battery has ri 0.02. is this this case or its a coincidence and problem of inaccurate voltmeters?

after the charging was stopped at controller measured 13.85(13.65 by hand multimeter), battery sit back on 13.4 in few minutes. with small 2a load went to 13.3 under load.

unfortunately, i dont have exact logs, just the graph attached and my meantime hand measurements...

then i redefined charging limit to 13.95 and charging went back, but clouds occured, so not fully back. however, charger status was shown boost all the time before and after, what i do not understand, as it should be bulk based on my openion and limit values. however, based on point 1 it should be just a marketing name for the same, as in fact battery was still charged at full amperes provided by controller/sun and the voltage was growing slowly... so maybe only interface error, or misunderstanding of the process by software author...

3 - balancing topic - i understood that even if new battery, i cannot be sure it is prebalanced by factory until i take the battery on top or bottom limits or best both... at least for the first time... as i dont know what is real the internal capacity of cells and if im using them between 30-80 soc, in fact 1 cell can be cycled 20-70, another 40-90 and so on... maybe worse scenarios... right?

4 - as i currently dont have a balancer, all i can do is reduce the interval of cycling to lets say 40-70 SOC to reduce the risk of going over the line of no return. and of course watching it by hand measurements as often as possible . until my oredered balancer will arrive.

5 - isnt there really any other workaround of the process of discharging the batteries downto 0 soc 2.5vpc just to be sure they are ballanced? im afraid this discharge will also reduce their life in reasonable manner...

Comment

• racmaster
              • Nov 2016

karrak - what i want to reach is higher cycle life. i dont need the battery to be used for higher capacity, as i dont need so much power. therefor im focusing for control parameters to be set so that this goal will be reached... cyclelife

Comment

• racmaster
                • Nov 2016

screnshot and graph. take a look on that charging state boost bull****..?? this is there all the time since the beggining, no matter what happens... however, the other things are more important, not the status shown i think...

2hrsofsun.jpgcahrging day1.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

There is not a problem with my battery, there is a problem with Sunking's understanding of battery chemistry.
                  There you go again making a fool out of yourself. You cannot even read your own graphs. Your graph is telling you exactly what your Ri is and you do not know how to read it.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Lots of questions.

1 - the dammed ac smart leadacid charger question - if i understood your point about chargers, they in fact have not so much phases, just a - "charging" or b - "stand by and get ready for load to suppor by power". lets forget the equalizing by overvoltage for this time... this promises a opportunity for me to use this old leadacid charger for lifepo, of course in attended mode and not let it charge higher then mentioned safer 70soc, which could be about 13.5 or 13.6. then turn it off by hand. this could result in pushing some 10,20ah into battery without any serious risk. isnt it? or is it not so easy and other threats are there?
                    When you program a 3-stage charger, all you are doing is programming Voltage Set Points. Example Bulk/Absorb you set for 14.4 volts or whatever you want. Additionally with Solar Charge Controllers you set a Time Period for Absorb phase typically 2, 4, or 6 hours. So when you start charging a battery with an OCV of say 12 volts, the controller pumps in all the current the panels can possible deliver for the given conditions. This is the Constant Current of Bulk. With Solar it is really Constant Power, what ever power the panels can generate. . This continues until the voltage rises to whatever set point you programmed. When Set Point Voltage is reached begins the Absorb Phase and the Timer Starts. After the Absorb Timers times out, the Absorb phase ends, and the Controller now lowers the voltage to say 13.6 volts. The loads will bleed of the batteries or drain them to 13.6 volts. At that point if there is any Sun left the panels will supply power.

Did you catch two points? Absorb is a timed event, and Bleeds off power? That is just dandy for lead acid, but not lithium. That would be a serious over charge on lithium. For Lithium batteries, Absorb is NOT A TIMED EVENT. It is a Current Event. You hold 14.4 volts until the charge Current Taper down to 3 to 5% of C where C = the battery AH capacity. Example a 100 AH battery would be 3 to 5 amps. Absorb time with a Lithium battery is measured in minutes not hours. I am not familiar with your controller but I would bet money you cannot set Absorb to stop on a preset current. I bet you anything it is a TIMER right? I also bet your Pb battery charger is a timed event. This is the difference between a charger made for Pb and one for Lithium. Now some of the newer more expensive AC battery chargers can set Absorb to be either Time or Current. Those can be used for either battery. You can use you rPb charger by either lowering the voltage or manually monitor it.

Second point here is Bleed-Off power when the voltage is lowered for Float. That means you went from over charged, bleed off some of the energy back down to safe levels. So ask yourself why would you want to over charge the battery causing damage, then bleed off the over charge down to safe limits. I would not do that. Would you? Why go there in the first place.

2 - i counted several scenarios i have and had here with your internal resistance formula in vice versa ways. seems like it perfectly sits and answeres some of my long time opened questions...
                    just to be sure, today the sun was there even if not predicted, co i was able to test those limit values in live... what happened is, that the battery reached my 13.85 charging limit set and then the controller switched to float, voltage went down, current also, no charging, standby, waiting for load. after load happened battery was untouched, all power came from panel. everything works as designed...

the problem occured was: voltage i measured on battery was -0.2V in comparison with battery voltage measured by controller. so the value 13.85 which stopped the charging was in fact only about 13.65. charging current was cca 10a, so based on this formula it gives exactly 0.2v difference if i pressume my new battery has ri 0.02. is this this case or its a coincidence and problem of inaccurate voltmeters?
                    1 of 2 things is wrong. Either your controller metering is off, or your DVM. 95% chance it is the controller. Ohms Law has 3 equations for Voltage. In this case Voltage = Current x Resistance. Wire and connectors have resistance. How much depends on the length or the wire and the size of the wire. Example 12 AWG stranded wire has 1.24 Ohms per 1000 feet. So if you had say 10 feet loop (5-feet one way) would be .0124 Ohms. So if you had say 10 amps of current flowing the wire would drop 10 amps x .0124 Ohms = .124 volts. So if you measured 13 volts at the controller, you would see 12.876 volts at the battery. So what would the voltage at the battery with 0 Amps flowing assuming the controller voltage was 13 volts? This is a Trick Question I always ask students. Same question as: Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

0 x Anything = 0. No current = no voltage loss. You had better measure 13 volts at both the controller and battery with no current flowing. You would be surprised how many people cannot figure out who is buried in Grant's Tomb. Send that student home with a Dunce Hat and Stupid Shirt.

then i redefined charging limit to 13.95 and charging went back, but clouds occured, so not fully back. however, charger status was shown boost all the time before and after, what i do not understand, as it should be bulk based on my openion and limit values. however, based on point 1 it should be just a marketing name for the same, as in fact battery was still charged at full amperes provided by controller/sun and the voltage was growing slowly... so maybe only interface error, or misunderstanding of the process by software author...

3 - balancing topic - i understood that even if new battery, i cannot be sure it is prebalanced by factory until i take the battery on top or bottom limits or best both... at least for the first time... as i dont know what is real the internal capacity of cells and if im using them between 30-80 soc, in fact 1 cell can be cycled 20-70, another 40-90 and so on... maybe worse scenarios... right?

4 - as i currently dont have a balancer, all i can do is reduce the interval of cycling to lets say 40-70 SOC to reduce the risk of going over the line of no return. and of course watching it by hand measurements as often as possible . until my oredered balancer will arrive.
                    OK STOP RIGHT NOW, you are playing with fire. Your batteries are not balanced, and there is no such thing as a Balancer. All a BMS or Balancer can do is keep a Balanced pack Balanced. They are not capable of Balancing a set of new batteries. The Initial aka Bulk Balance is done by connecting all cells in parallel. Walk away for a few hours, and then either Top or Bottom Balance. That takes a Power Supply with a precision Voltage Regulator to Top Balance, or a load to discharge the cells to 2.5 volts for Bottom Balance.

If anything STOP what you are doing and MIDDLE BALANCE the cells by connecting them all in parallel and let them set over night. Then you can connect them back up in series and play. Having said that LiFeP04 cells do not do well Middle Balance. Any of the higher voltage types can be and is exactly what EV's use. No commercial EV manufacture would ever Top Balance. Otherwise they could not offer any warranty and would go bankrupt with warranty claims.

5 - isnt there really any other workaround of the process of discharging the batteries downto 0 soc 2.5vpc just to be sure they are ballanced? im afraid this discharge will also reduce their life in reasonable manner...
                    No more risk than Top Balance. In fact less risk. First point is 2.5 volts is not the danger zone, it is 2.0 volts. Manufactures say 2.5 volt to cover their arse. Second point is over discharged cells get damaged by the adjacent cells with energy left in them. Example say in a 4S configuration one cell reaches 2.5 volts, while the other 3 cells have 3 or more volts and some charge left in them. They will drive the discharged cell into reverse polarity, and destroy it instantly. If you put all cells in parallel, walk away over night, it is impossible for that to happen. All cells are at the exact same voltage.

Do your self a favor, get some popcorn and a few cold beers and watch this 1-hour video on Bottom Balance by Jack Rickard. Jack is the premier custom EV builder in the USA. He is a retired Electrical Engineer with a passion for EV's and started his own biz.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

karrak - what i want to reach is higher cycle life. i dont need the battery to be used for higher capacity,........ cyclelife
                      At some point, the internal construction is going to influence the total life of the battery, and as the internals age, the calendar is kill the battery, regardless of cycles. Finding THAT point should be easy, if all the battery mfg's had realistic charts for their battery.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• karrak
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250

At some point, the internal construction is going to influence the total life of the battery, and as the internals age, the calendar is kill the battery, regardless of cycles. Finding THAT point should be easy, if all the battery mfg's had realistic charts for their battery.
                        I agree, as with all batteries it is a case of use it or loose it. I am not so sure that it is easy to work out the balance between usage and lifespan as there are so many factors that influence this.

I am now very confident that with my usage I am going to get at least ten years use out of my battery and think it could be as high as twenty years.

For LFP batteries I think it is better to think in terms of amount of energy cycled through the battery during its life rather than the number of cycles. So you might get 2500 cycles at 100% discharge but 5000 cycles at 50% discharge. The amount of energy cycled through the battery is the same in both cases.

Because the batteries have a fixed lifespan regardless how much you use them you want to cycle as much energy through the battery as possible during its lifetime to get the best value for money.

Simon

Comment

• karrak
                          • May 2015

Do you have the Winston single12V volt battery or do you have the 4 individual 3.25V cells? If it is the battery it should be prebalanced at the factory.

What balancer have you ordered?

If you are bottom balancing do not just leave the cells in parallel with a load across them unless you monitor the voltage and disconnect the load when it gets to 2.5V. If you don't do this the load will drive the cells down to nearly 0V which will damage them. You should not let any of the cells get below 2.5V.

Simon

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

You should not let any of the cells get below 2.5V.
                            Wrong, dead wrong.

Do you want to believe a pretender (Karrak) or manufactures? 2.5 volts is a CYA spec some manufactures use. The real voltage is 2.0 volts.

There is a brillant Engineer by the name of Davide Andrea and is known as the God Father of BMS systems. I know him fairly well and even interviewed with several years ago when he started his company Elithion. He designed his own IC circuit he uses on his BMS systems. On his website I am going to turn you onto has everything you want to know about Lithium Ion Batteries. Every Lithium battery, BMS, and IC made are listed with selectors. There is also a tab called White Papers with a wealth of information. One in particular you may not like, Karrak will hate it. . It is Fast Discharge about 1/3 down the page that list Discharge Times for a wide variety of popular Lithium Ion batteries, Super Caps and a couple of Lead Acid batteries. Now what Karrak will hate and you may not like is Winston is second from Last with all the Chi-Coms. GBS is dead last joining all the Chi-Coms. Fast Discharge Time is a direct correlation Internal Resistance. It allows a designer to quickly size up batteries to see if they are suitable for high current applications. It is theoretical calculation of time in seconds to discharge a cell with a dead bolt fault. The longer it takes, means the higher the resistance. Does not matter what the capacity of the cell is. It is the chemistry and quality of the cell design, so it applies to any capacity. Scroll down further and Winston is dead last in Power Density expressed as w/L and w/kg. It proves Karraks claims are false.

Lastly there is this White Paper on David's site that will make Karraks blood boil. Hint 2.0 Volts. Read through the website and you will learn a lot. Or buy his book if you want to know just about everything there is to know about BMS.

Last edited by sensij; 01-06-2018, 10:20 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• racmaster
                              • Nov 2016

so - finally and hopefully we are getting forward a little bit

what i should do to get there has to be:

1st step - connect cells in parallel over night, the lower the soc currently is, less time it takes, over night it should be much more time than realy needed. however, this will only balance them on unknown level of soc, right? the usefull point of this step is that at least we will be sure there is not a big diffference in soc of cells and it will be much more safe to hold them in planned 30-80soc. right? and also it will be much more safe to proceed to botom balance, next step...

2nd step - discharge them to the point, where NOW balanced cells (as described in 1st step) will become slightly different voltage. of course, with low discharge power and attended mode, as no balancer/bms/alarm are available. in fact, lover voltage will be shown, the lover should be discharging power to catch the moment some cell will fall from the hockey stick curve and start getting under lets say 3 volts. then disconnect it from the battery and similary discharge the remaining cells to the similar voltage. then, as soon as all fall out of the hocky curve on same voltage - very slowly discharge every(or maybe all together in serie if same voltage lets say 3vpc???) to the final 2.5vpc, where is the treshold 0%soc considered... then, connecting them again together in paralel, letting them auto-balanceat to absolute soc 0.01%... then start to charge them slowly and measure the ah, or kwh real capacity until we will get to the wanted 80%soc top disconnect value. then measured the resulting voltage of the serie and THIS will be reliable and secure value to be set as the charging limit for chargers of the particular one battery i have... the 30% value should be measured by the same way during the process... right?

pls note - the video link of jack rickard doesnt work, so the process above is just my guess of how that may be done, based on what i learned from this thread and the fine liionbms.com site you provided. so its a kind of test, if im getting into the picture finally at least a bit...

3rd step we are there, safely cycling 30 to 80 soc, all we need to do is from time to time repeat the paralleling autobalance at lower-better soc to balancing happen in shorter time...right? anything else? is there some best practice of repeating to 0% ballancing process again after some number of cycles? or anything else to do...?

Comment

• sensij
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2014

anything else? is there some best practice of repeating to 0% ballancing process again after some number of cycles? or anything else to do...?
                                I would suggest that you attempt to articulate *why* you are choosing to top or bottom balance (or rejecting the other approach), with justification more substantial than "so and so told me to do it that way".
                                ​​​​​​
                                From the site that was linked:

You might also want to also read this thread:

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...prismatic-bank
                                Last edited by sensij; 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM.
                                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...