X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almac
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Bala
    If you want cost effectiveness in the long term in a house type Stand alone system then you cant go past a correctly sized system with quality components and true deep cycle batteries.

You need to consider maintenance and reliability. Mine is almost 9 years, not one single failure. Has been left for weeks on end with no one looking at it. One failure could mean a fridge and freezer full of food spoiled.
    thats an excellent battery bank you bought, i checked out your link on another thread , they weigh 160kgs each? but you spent $7000 and even if they last 10yrs its still $700 a year plus interest forfeited, im looking for a way much cheaper than that. found some junked sealed batteries the other day. will try an equalize on them but will do it outside in case of any explosions. the way i see it, if i can get serviceable L.A. batteries for next to nothing, regardless of the type, then i will have my free sun power

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by almac
      thats an excellent battery bank you bought, i checked out your link on another thread , they weigh 160kgs each? but you spent $7000 and even if they last 10yrs its still $700 a year plus interest forfeited, im looking for a way much cheaper than that. found some junked sealed batteries the other day. will try an equalize on them but will do it outside in case of any explosions. the way i see it if i can get serviceable L.A. batteries for next to nothing, regardless of the type, then i will have my free sun power
      You could open a battery junk-yard and then get people to bring them to you

Comment

• Willy T
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Living Large
        You are never bashful at posting something odd like this whenever you see Sunking's username - for some inexplicable reason. Can you explain how this is productive?
        Who's stickies are they ?? Did you post them ??, No, he did and can answer for them, unless you'd like to answer for him.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Willy T
          Is it possible to have a link on the BCI site where this information is located ?? I searched without any luck.
          Click this one, scroll Different Kind of Batteries to see SLI, Hybrid (dual purpose), and Deep Cycle. As for seeing the BCI Technical Manual cost money. However is very easy to find the Terms because all reputable battery manufactures use BCI terminology, or you can just Google each one. It is not hard TO DO.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Who's stickies are they ?? Did you post them ??, No, he did and can answer for them, unless you'd like to answer for him.
            I answer to no one, especially you. If your were the pro you claimed to be, you would know all this already as the info is extremely easy to find.

So based on your questions, we all can only assume you no clue what AH, CCA, CA, RC, and HCA are.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Bala
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2010

thats an excellent battery bank you bought, i checked out your link on another thread , they weigh 160kgs each? but you spent $7000 and even if they last 10yrs its still $700 a year plus interest forfeited, i
              m looking for a way much cheaper than that.
              found some junked sealed batteries the other day. will try an equalize on them but will do it outside in case of any explosions. the way i see it, if i can get serviceable L.A. batteries for next to nothing, regardless of the type,
              then i will have my free sun power
              Good luck with that,

If you believe you can get free power please list your expenditure to date on batteries, panels, inverters, controllers wire ect,

and how much power you will be able to produce over time that will give you free power,

or even a cost effective power supply.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

these ratings are part of the marketing spin too, deep cycle only have an AH rating , that doesnt mean they dont have CCA capability because clearly they do. deep cycle batteries dont have a CCA rating purely for marketing reasons
                Incorrect, BCI clearly states labeling requirements and specification. BCI are not Marketers, it is made of scientist, engineers, and battery manufactures. While I agree a Deep Cycle battery does have a CCA, but it would be really low, and would imply it could be used for starting whichautomatically voids the warranty because you can damage them doing so.

A SLI and Hybrid batteries plates do not completely fill the jar. They leave space in the bottom of the jar to collect flaking from plate corrosion which occurs in Starting Application. All 3 are made quite differently.

SLI uses Lead Calcium on both positive and negative plate. Hybrids use Lead anatomy on one plate polarity, and lead calcium on the other, Deep Cycles have both plates made of lead anatomy. All three are made differently.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• almac
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Bala
                  Good luck with that,

If you believe you can get free power please list your expenditure to date on batteries, panels, inverters, controllers wire ect,

and how much power you will be able to produce over time that will give you free power,

or even a cost effective power supply.
                  as a newby put in a sticky situation i had to rush out and buy stuff off the shelf to get power. while i did get some stuff on special that compares in price to online bargains. the panels i got second hand so thats as cheap as they come. also had to get 2 x generators for back up, a dc charger, and of course petrol..the batteries were still the most expensive part. so my project is to see IF i can do this with JUNKED free batteries over time. if i can then aside from the initial ONE OFF expense of panels, inverters, CC, wire and connectors. it will be free.

Comment

• almac
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                    Incorrect, BCI clearly states labeling requirements and specification. BCI are not Marketers, it is made of scientist, engineers, and battery manufactures. While I agree a Deep Cycle battery does have a CCA, but it would be really low, and would imply it could be used for starting whichautomatically voids the warranty because you can damage them doing so.

A SLI and Hybrid batteries plates do not completely fill the jar. They leave space in the bottom of the jar to collect flaking from plate corrosion which occurs in Starting Application. All 3 are made quite differently.

SLI uses Lead Calcium on both positive and negative plate. Hybrids use Lead anatomy on one plate polarity, and lead calcium on the other, Deep Cycles have both plates made of lead anatomy. All three are made differently.
                    thanks for the reply, so if i see a battery with a higher RC to CCA ratio compared to another battery with a lower RC to CCA ratio, then i can assume the battery with the higher RC ratio has lead anatomy on one plate polarity, and lead calcium on the other?

Comment

• Willy T
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2014

Click this one, scroll Different Kind of Batteries to see SLI, Hybrid (dual purpose), and Deep Cycle. As for seeing the BCI Technical Manual cost money. However is very easy to find the Terms because all reputable battery manufactures use BCI terminology, or you can just Google each one. It is not hard TO DO.

That link doesn't resemble anything you posted. You said it was their words, I just wanted to see them, since I searched and couldn't find them. Where do they mention " Hybrid Batteries " being what you posted ??

SLI = Starting Lighting and Ignotion. The will have on CCA, CA, and sometimes MCA and RC. They will not have AH
                      Hybrids use many Marketing names like Marine Deep Cycle, Golf Cart, RV. Leisure, Trolling, Floor Machine, and the list goes on. They will contain some or all rating of CCA, CA, MCA, RC, and AH trying to be all things.
                      Deep Cycle are just that and only have AH rating period.

They are not my terms. You cannot spin them as they are clearly defined specs world wide. Something anyone can find. They are Industry terms/specs that come from and defined by BCI (Battery Counsel International) and apply in every country.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

That link doesn't resemble anything you posted. You said it was their words, I just wanted to see them.
                        You need help. They clearly defined SLI, Hybrid, and Deep Cycle. You are not going to get a link to BCI documents unless you are member of the organization or pay for it like any professional organization. Bu tyou can peice it all together from the manufactures documentation.

Again we can only assume you do not know what any of the definitions are or what they mean.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2014

You need help. They clearly defined SLI, Hybrid, and Deep Cycle. You are not going to get a link to BCI documents unless you are member of the organization or pay for it like any professional organization. Bu tyou can peice it all together from the manufactures documentation.

Again we can only assume you do not know what any of the definitions are or what they mean.
                          Thats what I thought. lol, it's not there.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

thanks for the reply, so if i see a battery with a higher RC to CCA ratio compared to another battery with a lower RC to CCA ratio, then i can assume the battery with the higher RC ratio has lead anatomy on one plate polarity, and lead calcium on the other?
                            No Sir. A FLA SLI battery only has CCA, CA, sometimes MCA and RC. SLI are Lead Calcium. They will not have a Amp Hour Rating.

Hybrids are the ones made from both Calcium and Antimony and they will list both AH, RC, and CCA.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• almac
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2015

No Sir. A FLA SLI battery only has CCA, CA, sometimes MCA and RC. SLI are Lead Calcium. They will not have a Amp Hour Rating.

Hybrids are the ones made from both Calcium and Antimony and they will list both AH, RC, and CCA.
                              ok , so does this mean bala was right when he told me the "marine batteries" i bought are just SLI with a "marine battery" sticker on it? they list CCA and RC but not AH although the rc is higher than other SLI batteries with similar CCA ratings

Comment

• Bala
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Dec 2010

ok ,
                                so does this mean bala was right when he told me the "marine batteries" i bought are just SLI with a "marine battery" sticker on it
                                ? they list CCA and RC but not AH although the rc is higher than other SLI batteries with similar CCA ratings
                                I think you are making up what I say.

Without looking back through various threads I believe what I said was basically no one in their right mind would go out the pacific ocean relying on budget batteries, and with those same budget batteries that what is on a label may or may not be what you think you are getting and contrary to what you thought about the company not risking their brand name ( Supercheap Auto) I doubt they have anything to worry about.

Comment

Working...