Anyone Using Electric car as storage battery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The boiling battery is ruined. Either sulfated or oxidized, Likely warped plates and cracked separators too. No repairing or recovery for long term, recycle it, or RMA it.
    And all the other cells in the same string, are well on their way to toast land too, if they also warmed up at all. I'm not a chemist, but I know abuse damages a battery.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Back to the last point of discussion, I'm not sure Santa is even aware that today's EVs have two batteries. He was suggesting to draw from the "big" battery via the 12v vpp system for nighttime use age. SunEagle tried to clarify but I don't think it took.

Comment

• santaclaws
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
        The boiling battery is ruined. Either sulfated or oxidized, Likely warped plates and cracked separators too. No repairing or recovery for long term, recycle it, or RMA it.
        And all the other cells in the same string, are well on their way to toast land too, if they also warmed up at all. I'm not a chemist, but I know abuse damages a battery.
        I guess you're right. My initial question was how long is the "long" boiling duration for my 12V/225A battery, by example, to suffer serious damages?

Also, what kind of damage do they encounter? You did mention about sulfation, too, but I've read that this is a specific "disease" of chronically undercharging abuse only.

Nevermind, I'm going to recycle both of them. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

@cebury:

Now I'm aware that EVs have a separate battery for housekeeping. It just looks awkward to have an untouchable multi-kW power supply in your car.
        Last edited by santaclaws; 02-16-2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by santaclaws
          ......Now I'm aware that EVs have a separate battery for housekeeping. It just looks awkward to have an untouchable multi-kW power supply in your car.
          see http://www.priups.com/ about how to correctly use a Prius as a UPS

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• cebury
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by santaclaws

I guess you're right. My initial question was how long is the "long" boiling duration for my 12V/225A battery, by example, to suffer serious damages?

Also, what kind of damage do they encounter? You did mention about sulfation, too, but I've read that this is a specific "disease" of chronically undercharging abuse only.

Nevermind, I'm going to recycle both of them. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

@cebury:

Now I'm aware that EVs have a separate battery for housekeeping. It just looks awkward to have an untouchable multi-kW power supply in your car.
            I agree. It's just like when folks hear "I have no/none? electricity when the main grid is down, yet have all these panels sitting in the sun that turned themselves off?" It creates an itch that most common folks really want to scratch. The SPS feature on SMA inverter provides some itch relief, but then really how often will it be used? Probably close to never in some regions, sometimes in other regions where weather knocks out grid but the panels are still good.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
              see *** about how to correctly use a Prius as a UPS
              So a Prius has a battery of similar voltage to a UPS, and its gas engine can keep things going indefinitely. But since
              I have no desperate need for uninterrupted power, I'd rather skip the UPS and all its batteries. And for so many of
              us, a generator is far cheaper than a Prius. I learned a very long time ago, that a starter motor is a far better approach
              than a cord to pull. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bcroe

So a Prius has a battery of similar voltage to a UPS, and its gas engine can keep things going indefinitely. But since
                I have no desperate need for uninterrupted power, I'd rather skip the UPS and all its batteries. And for so many of
                us, a generator is far cheaper than a Prius. I learned a very long time ago, that a starter motor is a far better approach
                than a cord to pull. Bruce Roe.
                Yeah pull cords are a bwitch in an ice storm or blizzard. Especially if it is old, cold, brittle and breaks after the first pull. Well make you cuss like a drunk sailor in a Ho House.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

The hand crank was better than the starter cord (except on the chainsaw) Crank is on the lower part of the pic
                  20170215_075755c.jpg

Comment

Working...