X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by santaclaws
    I've just mentioned the availability of those inverters.

Using an 1kW inverter doesn't mean you have to run it at full power (we're talking about 3-400W).
    A 1kW inverter at 12volts could draw over 80 amps. Those plug in type can handle maybe 15 amps. You would have to find a way to tap the 12volt distribution bus in the EV and connect the appropriate wire including fusing to run that inverter.

If you do not understand what I am saying then you need to go research electrical properties and design.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I've just mentioned the availability of those inverters.

Using an 1kW inverter doesn't mean you have to run it at full power (we're talking about 3-400W).
      Even with 400 watts you need wire sized for #10AWG for very short runs and much larger for longer runs.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Cigar lighter sockets are likely fused at no more than 30A, and I doubt the wire harness to it is more than 12ga. 30A @ 12V is 360w Trying to use one for more than the 30sec is was designed to heat the glow element, will most likely be disappointing.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• santaclaws
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          If you do not understand what I am saying then you need to go research electrical properties and design.
          I have a degree in electronics but you can show me some pictures to get it right.

So let me repeat once again: you can even use a 5kW inverter with a 2-300W load and no damage would be done to any cigar socket.

Btw, I have such a car (brick) inverter and I'm reading from its nameplate: 400W (650W peak). I've used it for about 10 years now on many cars, on any regular 12V socket.

Anyway, the whole discussion was about accessing some (2-300W) of the EV battery power without voiding the guarantee.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

I was searching the forum for some news regarding battery technologies and I came up with this thread too.

Just a quick thought: what about using the car 12V socket(s) to run an inverter? This way, you're not voiding any warranty and you could suck enough energy for regular evening activities.
            As long as your "regular evening activities" don't exceed your plug in inverter's limitations you should be just fine,

Hooking up a 5000 watt inverter to a cigarette lighter plug would be a tad on the ridiculous side. The power consumption of a 5000 watt inverter at idle would likely equal a 2-300 watt inverter at full tilt., plus a 5000 watt, 12 volt inverter is just plain dangerous. 5000 watts @ 11.5 volts is 435 amps. What's the surge rating divided by 11.5 volts?
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I have a degree in electronics but you can show me some pictures to get it right.

So let me repeat once again: you can even use a 5kW inverter with a 2-300W load and no damage would be done to any cigar socket.

Btw, I have such a car (brick) inverter and I'm reading from its nameplate: 400W (650W peak). I've used it for about 10 years now on many cars, on any regular 12V socket.

Anyway, the whole discussion was about accessing some (2-300W) of the EV battery power without voiding the guarantee.
              You may have a degree in electronics but IMO have no idea what is required concerning electrical power systems or the NEC. By the way the NEC does print a larger code manual that includes pictures to help explain what is in the text.

As I stated in the other thread. Regardless of what the inverter is rated the wiring must be protected by an over current device. Usually the wire can withstand very short duration high currents (which will get it hot) but not for long term or the insulation will melt and the leads will short. So while that inverter might handle 650watt the wiring won't for anything other that a short surge.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                Cigar lighter sockets are likely fused at no more than 30A, and I doubt the wire harness to it is more than 12ga. 30A @ 12V is 360w Trying to use one for more than the 30sec is was designed to heat the glow element, will most likely be disappointing.
                Yes, they have issues. To make serious connection to a vehicle battery, I use Anderson 50A or 175A
                connectors; may also have an EC3 for battery maintainer, etc service. Bruce Roe

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

On the Prius the 12 electrical system is not powered by a step-down converter from the traction (main) battery. It is a very small (30AH?) AGM battery which is recharged from the traction battery through a converter when the car is turned on.
                  If the Prius is off, the 12V system can easily be run down to the point where you will have to use a jump pack to provide enough 12V to the controls to allow the engine to be started.

Be careful!
                  On the other hand, you can leave the Prius on and the engine will only run when the traction battery needs recharging. I have done that quite comfortably using a 500W inverter connected to the jump start terminals under the hood. It is really hard to get at the battery terminals.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• solarix
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2015

This subject is what is known as V to G (Vehicle to Grid), has been kicked around quite a bit by the smart-grid dreamers, was promoted by Alan Cocconi of AC Propulsion who was the designer for GM of the EV1 and sold his technology to Tesla. V to G is not ready for prime time, requires an integrated system in the EV to facilitate it and is bound to additionally degrade the battery which may well cost more than the electricity being saved...
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Who's identity did you steal to get that fake degree?

. Any first year student would knows a 10 Amp Cigarette Lighter or Vehicle Power Ports as they call them them today is 120 watts and would never say something so stupid as you have done.You are a fraud and now have a bullseye placed rightfully so on your back with respect to this forum. I suggest you leave now and never come back. Hell you cannot even spot a shorted cell in a battery and confused why it killed all your parallel batteries.

Last edited by solar pete; 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• santaclaws
                        • Mar 2016

Relax, people!.. what are you talking about??

Of course you can use any inverter size with a cigar socket, it is that simple: if the socket doesn't like it, THE FUSE will blow. Did I have to mention that EVERY cigarette socket is fused??

Anyway, I smell a lot of intolerance on your posts but I can go on with that. I'll just need to filter out the insults and your valuable informations still remain (no joking).

I know, I "mess" with the moderators/vets.. now what, do you want me to became an yesman?!

I've read a lot of topics on this forum and I agree that Sunking, SunEagle, inetdog and the rest of vets have very educated oppinions and a great experience in this field.

But it doesn't means that they can't go wrong, can they?

I still don't get what's the problem? I see mixed emotions related to shorted battery cells from a completely different thread, I see people making fun of my electronics degree (though no one actually dare to challange my knowledges).. like I've just said, I don't really mind (I'm not crying too often) but your reaction is a simple plain mystery..

Comment

• santaclaws
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

You may have a degree in electronics but IMO have no idea what is required concerning electrical power systems or the NEC. By the way the NEC does print a larger code manual that includes pictures to help explain what is in the text.

As I stated in the other thread. Regardless of what the inverter is rated the wiring must be protected by an over current device. Usually the wire can withstand very short duration high currents (which will get it hot) but not for long term or the insulation will melt and the leads will short. So while that inverter might handle 650watt the wiring won't for anything other that a short surge.
                          Every cigarette socket is FUSED. What are we talking about?

Comment

• santaclaws
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by littleharbor
                            Hooking up a 5000 watt inverter to a cigarette lighter plug would be a tad on the ridiculous side. The power consumption of a 5000 watt inverter at idle would likely equal a 2-300 watt inverter at full tilt., plus a 5000 watt, 12 volt inverter is just plain dangerous. 5000 watts @ 11.5 volts is 435 amps. What's the surge rating divided by 11.5 volts?
                            Unfortunately, your comments don't really "breath" science.

(1) Every cigarette socket is FUSED, so stop flooding this thread with those 435 Amps!

(2) My home brew 5000 W pure sine wave inverter has a stand-by consumption of EXACTLY 22 W. If you think you could handle the details, just ask.

(3) Stop topic cross-talking, please. I'm honored that you're advertising my degree in electronics on another thread but you don't have to. Really.

Comment

• santaclaws
                              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Sunking

Who's identity did you steal to get that fake degree?

. Any first year student would knows a 10 Amp Cigarette Lighter or Vehicle Power Ports as they call them them today is 120 watts and would never say something so stupid as you have done.You are a fraud and now have a bullseye placed rightfully so on your back with respect to this forum. I suggest you leave now and never come back. Hell you cannot even spot a shorted cell in a battery and confused why it killed all your parallel batteries.
                              Appologies expected.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Appologies expected.
                                Don't hold your breath. You already proved you do not know what you are talking about. Dangerous people like you get banned real quick. I suggest you leave now. You are a danger to the public.
                                Last edited by Sunking; 02-15-2017, 12:27 AM.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...