Anyone Using Electric car as storage battery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The big issue is, the degree is just a sheet of paper. Then it takes another 4 years to convert the book learning to practical application, In the meantime, stuff blows up.
    So as long as it's YOUR stuff blowing up (or battery banks burning) we snigger and try to be mostly polite. But when the advice you hand out, is sketchy and "royal we" think it's going to be dangerous for a neophyte surfing about battery banks and sees 5KW and 12V and like yeah, that's for me, we get the pucker in our sphincter and all yell in unison
    THATS NOT A SAFE IDEA to be throwing around. Maybe when you understand how real life applications work and understand why one bad cell in a multi-battery bank took the whole mess down, you could become part of the "royal we".
    Until then, we reserve the right to highlight bad practice.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• santaclaws
      • Mar 2016

In the name of the friendship, let's take it easy. Let's just remember how it started.

I first said that you could "borrow" some energy from the EV battery by using a cigarette socket brick inverter.

Someone denied the existence of a good 12V inverter hence I have replied that you can even source good sine wave inverters (12V input) in 500-1000W range.

Then there was a discussion about cigarette socket power ratings and, FOR EXEMPLIFICATION PURPOSE ONLY, I've stated that you could even use a 5kW inverter AS LONG as the LOAD is around 2-300W.

The whole discussion was about not voiding the guarantee thus no fancy wiring or fusing.

In this respect, it's obvious (and I guess anyone knows) that every cigarette socket is FUSED (10-30Amps, as others have confirmed) so no damage could be done.

After all, one could short out the cigarette socket by mistake - by trowing some conductive thing inside - or due to defective equipment pluging.

In every single situation, the FUSE will BLOW.

The whole "5kW inverter" thing was a theoretical discussion about inverter ratings and their actual load. I thought that my example (5kW/12V) was hypothetical enough as to be considered just a theoretical approach.

==

I really hate this situation as I'm not used to argue (especially with people I do not know). Maybe I should have expressed my oppinions using more words(!) but english it's not my native language so I'm trying to be short to not commit too many mistakes.

Even it's such a hard thing for Sunking to do, I apologise to everyone for this misunderstanding.

Regarding my degree, I was born in the 70's hence you can bet that I went through those "4 years of practical application" since then.

PS: I feel like the next step of "royal we" would be to force me to make public my wife and kids names! (j/k)

That's it, no bad feelings from me.

Comment

• santaclaws
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
        Don't hold your breath. You already proved you do not know what you are talking about. Dangerous people like you get banned real quick. I suggest you leave now. You are a danger to the public.
        Could you be more specific, please?

PS: I've read tons of forum topics and I've always apreciate your interventions. I even know that you're a "professional" of making people hate you but still I know that you're a good man.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

The initial topic of this thread was using an electric vehicle as a storage battery. All of the discussions of connecting to the 12V system are not relevant to that topic because the total energy storage available is so small, and apply equally well to any car, electric or not, that has a 12V battery.
          Connecting to the HV traction battery is an entirely different question. You also cannot recharge the traction battery from a 12V connection.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by santaclaws

Every cigarette socket is FUSED. What are we talking about?
            Maybe and maybe not depending on the vehicle and how it is wired. There is also the possibility that the fuse is oversized and will not perform as expected. I have had personal experience with fuse and circuit breakers not doing their job which ended up smoking some wires.

A good rule of thumb is not to rely totally on circuitry that you have not fully inspected or installed. That means not pushing it to its limits to see if it works as anticipated.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

In this respect, it's obvious (and I guess anyone knows) that every cigarette socket is FUSED (10-30Amps, as others have confirmed) so no damage could be done.

After all, one could short out the cigarette socket by mistake - by trowing some conductive thing inside - or due to defective equipment pluging.

In every single situation, the FUSE will BLOW.......
              Actually, I've had 2 occurrences, in 2 cars, where the under rated wires in the dash melted from large loads being plugged in for hours at a time, and the fuse was just fine, Automotive circuits in the 60's & 70's were not up to NEC standards.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• santaclaws
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Maybe and maybe not depending on the vehicle and how it is wired. There is also the possibility that the fuse is oversized and will not perform as expected. I have had personal experience with fuse and circuit breakers not doing their job which ended up smoking some wires.

A good rule of thumb is not to rely totally on circuitry that you have not fully inspected or installed. That means not pushing it to its limits to see if it works as anticipated.
                That's a good practice, indeed. But, usually, the devices designed to be pluged into those cigarette sockets have an aditional fuse inside the plug.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

That's a good practice, indeed. But, usually, the devices designed to be pluged into those cigarette sockets have an aditional fuse inside the plug.
                  Agreed. If you purchase quality hardware. Some that I have inspected were pretty cheap and did not even have good wire termination on that plug let along a in line fuse.

I just want to make people aware of potential problem when it comes to electrical equipment considering all of the cheap and illegal crap out there.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Then there was a discussion about cigarette socket power ratings and, FOR EXEMPLIFICATION PURPOSE ONLY, I've stated that you could even use a 5kW inverter AS LONG as the LOAD is around 2-300W.

The whole discussion was about not voiding the guarantee thus no fancy wiring or fusing.

In this respect, it's obvious (and I guess anyone knows) that every cigarette socket is FUSED (10-30Amps, as others have confirmed) so no damage could be done..
                    This is where you are dead wrong. The vehicle wiring can be easily damaged, like melting the insulation off the wiring. ATC fuses are Slow Blow and that death trap of a 12 volt 5000 watt Inverter can easily over load the wiring causing damage before the fuse operates. You can dance all you want, but this proves you really do not understand what is going on.

Try this and see how it works. Go buy a new Corvette, then go to your Insurance company and tell them they cannot charge you high price for coverage because you will never go faster than 30 mph. I bet they laugh at you all the way out the door and then some.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Could you be more specific, please?
                      Real simple.

1. You claim to be off grid for 2 years running 12 volts and a 5000 watt Inverter. I believe you do exactly that.
                      2. You use parallel batteries and cannot figure out why you boiled a battery. I believe that too.

Proves you do not know what you are doing plain and simple. You do not even know why or how dangerous that is. You put a target on your back, and the MODS are watching you like a Hawk watches a Rat in the grass. They are waiting to take you out.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• santaclaws
                        • Mar 2016

1. You claim to be off grid for 2 years running 12 volts and a 5000 watt Inverter. I believe you do exactly that
                        I never claimed such a thing. If you remember, my battery bank is 24V but the inverter is rated at 5000W, that's right. I'm using six Mosfets in parallel (each rated at 170 Amps) for every h-bridge switch. Do you think they could handle the 200Amps average current?

You use parallel batteries and cannot figure out why you boiled a battery. I believe that too
                        If you try to actually read my first post on that topic, I did mentioned that one cell was shorted. My question was: what's actually happening when a battery is heavily boiled (from chemistry/mechanical/electrical point of view) but no one answered to my question though.

Proves you do not know what you are doing plain and simple.
                        Proves nothing (see above).

You put a target on your back, and the MODS are watching you like a Hawk watches a Rat in the grass. They are waiting to take you out.
                        Actually, YOU put a target on my back. I promise to not mention your name anymore and I'll be honored if you could skip my threads on this forum. I did my best to be friendly but it takes two to tango..

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I promise to not mention your name anymore and I'll be honored if you could skip my threads on this forum. I did my best to be friendly but it takes two to tango..
                          Not going to happen.

Makes no difference if it is 12 or 24 volts. 5000 watts is 48 volt battery and higher. It has been explained several times why your battery boiled. If you knew anything about batteries you would not have to ask. You got the Target on your back is all on you because you are dangerous.
                          Last edited by Sunking; 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• santaclaws
                            • Mar 2016

(1) Forget my boiling battery, I quit longing for an answer. You keep yielding about parallel/series connections only.

(2) I wrote you on the other thread: I'm using six power Mosfets in parallel (170Amps rated each) for every h-bridge switch of the inverter.

Do you think they can handle a 200A average current??

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

(1) Forget my boiling battery, I quit longing for an answer. You keep yielding about parallel/series connections only.

(2) I wrote you on the other thread: I'm using six power Mosfets in parallel (170Amps rated each) for every h-bridge switch of the inverter.

Do you think they can handle a 200A average current??
                              I rest my case. If you knew how dangerous and expensive that is, you would know better and could cut that down to 50 amps or even 25 amps. Which is much safer and less expensive, a whole lot less expensive.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• santaclaws
                                • Mar 2016

Like I told you on the other thread, it only needs to have the transformer windings wired in series to become a 48V inverter (so nothing expensive).

That would be the next step, once I'll "repair" my battery bank.

Comment

Working...