X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrybread
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2017

No generator, no problem!

When I was last at this forum about two years ago someone (Sunking) was telling everyone that solar for an RV is good only as a showpiece and that everyone will need a generator. He was telling me it was just luck that I haven't needed a generator yet. Well I'm now a camp host at the campround I keep my RV so am there almost full time, off-grid, and I *still* haven't needed a generator or to run my engine even once. Even through multiple rainy dark Northern California winters.

Either I'm really lucky or solar works fantastically!

I'm at latitude 38 (bit north of San Francisco) with 900 watts of flat mounted panels (three 300 watt panels wired in parallel for shade reasons), 4 Trojan T-105's wired for 12 volts (if I did it again I'd go 24v or lithium) and was using a cheapie 40 amp Tracer MPPT charge controller (which worked great) but someone recently gave me a Morningstar MPPT 60 charge controller.

Just avoid old style crappy solar (12 volt panels and PWM controllers). Install more panels than you need to get you through winter and cloudy days. Check your charge controller's ratings, most can handle more panels than their rated output, though of course they'll only output their max.

I'm glad to list the parts if it would be useful to anyone, but for anyone thinking of adding solar to their campers, don't believe the hype, solar works fantastically for RVs and is the single best upgrade you can make. The expensive part is the batteries, the solar part is dirt cheap these days. I never ever think about power consumption, I use as much as I want, and completely quietly, no stinky dangerous gas, and almost no maintenance. Even the power tools I use regularly (random orbital sander and grinder) work great. No circular saw, but that's more a limitation of my Tracer 600 watt inverter than anything solar specific.

And the compartment that used to store my generator makes fantastic storage for my battery bank and tools.
    Last edited by Wrybread; 08-21-2019, 02:14 AM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Wrybread, you are a lucky one. not all RV's are able to fit 900w of PV on them. Sunking was speaking more in generalities, folks like to park in a shady spot, rooftop vents and stuff shades the panels, never correct orientation.....
    When you are charging well, what sort of PV harvest do you see, 300w? 500w?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Wrybread
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2017

> Sunking was speaking more in generalities

He was very specifically saying RV solar without generators doesn't work in this thread for example:

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...ls-to-rv/page4'

My favorite quote:

Solar is just for show and tell or for extending long stays. You still need a generator or Isolator to get charged up dry camping for extended periods
      I love solar and *hate* generators, so I'm glad to be able to prove his advice laughably wrong, through real world experience. Misinformation like that is part of the reason so few RVs have quality modern solar systems.

> Wrybread, you are a lucky one. not all RV's are able to fit 900w of PV on them

My RV is only 24 feet long, which is pretty small. And I've helped a few friends install systems on their RVs, with a little creativity I've found it's pretty easy to fit 3 solar panels, even 4. Roof vents can be covered (the panel becomes the vent cover), you can overhang the side of the RV a little, etc. But even small RVs can take at least two 300 watt panels. Even a single 300+ watt panel with an MPPT charge controller is infinitely better than old style 12 volt panels in any quantity.

> When you are charging well, what sort of PV harvest do you see, 300w? 500w?

I typically peak around 500 watts, sometimes a bit more. My batteries typically go into float (charged) after about 1800 watt hours, or if I'm using a lot of power around 3.5 kWh.

Attached is a screenshot from my charge controller's log. Unfortunately it doesn't show max watts per day for some reason.

Incidentally my batteries are coming on 5 years old and still going strong.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Wrybread; 09-04-2019, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• Ho jo
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2017

At latitude 37 in the mountains of Virginia you better have a generator. Last September it rained 27 days straight. Winters i stay 30 miles from Myrtle beach January it rained 21 days. So in my opinion it has to do with location.

Comment

• NCmountainsOffgrid
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2018

I've read the OPs 'yeah' pronouncement with some skepticism, as I'm an RV owner, too, and have lived and traveled 'full time' for several years, and have conversed with many, many RVrs and others about this very 'solar' subject. It's one we all like to 'think' will give us total 'off-grid' living, but the ultimate reality is that 'how' we want to live impacts it's effectiveness.

The OP did not state 'how' he uses energy... no specifics. Also, it sounds as though it is for a 'single' person, as no one else is mentioned. There is no mention of summer heat and the need for air conditioning, though north of SF you may not 'need' much maybe.

I certainly LIKE the idea of a sustainable 'total solar output' idea for RVs, but the nature of RVing means that you will generally also be 'moving' periodically, and not parked extensively, which is more like what you'd find at a home, which can render a different, maybe more reasonable, solar benefit.

The idea of a 'generator-less' solar full-time RV is certainly possible, if you never need air conditioning, electric heat, or use any large draw type appliance or devices for very long runs, but the reality of RVing is that these things come into play, with few exceptions, and especially when your better-half demands it as part of the RVing experience. We want the benefits of a silent solar power source, but also continue to 'want' the use of the other appliances and devices within their RV that may require much more power, and for much longer than the batteries or the solar can sustain.

There are those who live on a single 100w panel. It does happen, it IS possible, but it's NOT common, and probably NOT what the majority of RVrs are considering when they say they 'want' Solar Power - they imagine that they can continue to do everything they have enjoyed doing while on shore power or generator power - not less.

I have a single 100w solar panel on my roof. I have 4 6v deep-charge FLA batteries for the House. Yes, I can 'live' also on only solar, if I must, but that would be a severe change in my daily habits and expectations, and probably a lot of sweat and sleepless nights to go with it, since I'm not in northern Cali. Those there may can attest to not needing air conditioning, at least during the summer, and those in Florida can attest to not needing it, in the winter : )

Congrats, and if the heat here in NE Alabama would subside, maybe I can join the 'generator-less' solar fans!

Comment

• Wrybread
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2017

> The idea of a 'generator-less' solar full-time RV is certainly possible, if you never need air conditioning, electric heat, or use any large draw type appliance or devices for very long runs,

Definitely can't run air conditioning or electric heat off solar, but there's no reason to run electric heat in my opinion. Use propane for that.

I can run my propane heater blower though (which is 80 watts) as much as I need.

I think if someone is trying to run any electric heat source, including to make coffee, they're doing it wrong. It's an easy adjustment, they just need to give a thought to their system.

But my overall point is that people just don't have enough solar panels. 100 watts for example isn't even close to being enough, especially if it's a 12 volt panel. Ditch the electric heat and install modern solar (2 or 3 large panels and an MPPT charge controller) and you might be surprised how infrequently you need to fire up that gennie. And I'm guessing you know this if you're reading this forum but a 100 watt solar panel isn't going to keep your 4 batteries very happy except as a trickle charger.

As far as power consumption, I'm a programmer so have my laptop and iMac running pretty much all day, and often leave my laptop running all night. My girlfriend also runs a laptop all day with an external monitor. I sleep with a CPAP machine. I also do a lot of fiberglass boat and surfboard repair so am using a grinder and sander a good part of the day. My fridge used to run part time off AC but it's so inefficient off AC that I quit that, but not because of battery capacity issues. We run the usual lights and chargers as much as we want. I run whatever I want, as long as I want. I used to label every power source with it's exact wattage but I don't anymore because it's just not a factor. I haven't even reconnected my Trimetric power monitor. Since installing sufficient solar a few years ago I just don't need to even think about it.

Air conditioning is always going to be the exception, but it's the one thing people might need the gennie for. Other than that, people should be able to run everything they need off of just solar, with a sufficient solar system. Which is now dirt cheap and easy to install.
            Last edited by Wrybread; 08-21-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wrybread
              > The idea of a 'generator-less' solar full-time RV is certainly possible, if you never need air conditioning, electric heat, or use any large draw type appliance or devices for very long runs,

Definitely can't run AC or electric heat off solar, but there's no reason to run electric heat in my opinion. Use propane for that.

I can run my propane heater blower though (which is 80 watts) as much as I need.

I think if someone is trying to run any electric heat source, including to make coffee, they're doing it wrong.

But my overall point is that people just don't have enough solar panels. 100 watts for example isn't even close to being enough, especially if it's a 12 volt panel. Ditch the electric heat and install modern solar (2 or 3 large panels and an MPPT charge controller) and you might be surprised how infrequently you need to fire up that gennie. And I'm guessing you know this if you're reading this forum but a 100 watt solar panel isn't going to keep your 4 batteries very happy except as a trickle charger.

As far as power consumption, I'm a programmer so have my laptop and iMac running pretty much all day, and often leave my laptop running all night. My girlfriend also runs a laptop all day with an external monitor. I sleep with a CPAP machine. I also do a lot of fiberglass boat and surfboard repair so am using a grinder and sander a good part of the day. My fridge used to run part time off AC but it's so inefficient off AC that I quit that, but not because of battery capacity issues. We run the usual lights and chargers as much as we want. I run whatever I want, as long as I want. I used to label every power source with it's exact wattage but I don't anymore because it's just not a factor. I haven't even reconnected my Trimetric power monitor. Since installing sufficient solar a few years ago I just don't need to even think about it.

Air conditioning is always going to be the exception, but it's the one thing people might need the gennie for. Other than that, people should be able to run everything they need off of just solar, with a sufficient solar system. Which is now dirt cheap and easy to install.
              Congratulations on your ability to just run your loads just using PV in an RV. Although I would say you are in the 1% of those that do not use or need a generator.

Enjoy your freedom and thanks for your input.

Comment

• Ho jo
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2017

When I'm in the mountains for 4 months of summer
                I park in the shade.
                780 watts of Panels are in the sun.
                Even without ac a fan in the window.
                With long stretches of rain and the sun behind the mountains early morning and late afternoon.
                With an average use of 1kw
                Some times A generator is necessary to keep my 400+ ah bank charged. So I'm in the 99℅
                Last edited by Ho jo; 08-21-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• NCmountainsOffgrid
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2018

I'm not sure I'd consider solar system now as 'dirt cheap'... as most statistics still show that solar power is still relatively expensive compared to other options.

Yes, I'll agree that you 'can' live only on solar, if you do things a certain way - but my own regards was just that while many of us 'want' to think that we can live only on solar, our real desires are to continue to have the things we are accustomed to, such as air conditioning, continuing to require a generator or shore power. When you add propane to the equation, you have somewhat diluted your original post that you 'live' on solar power, if I read it accurately - actually you are living on a combination of different power sources, not just solar, just like most any RVr. If you had no propane, what would your situation then look like?

I like the idea of total solar power, don't get me wrong, but I'm also a realist. The RVing community, especially those fairly new to the world, and who have purchased a 'solar ready' camper, many times don't really 'know' what the limitation and expenses area. Yes, it's a 'quiet' power source, but limited on the amount of power, and 'when' it can be harvested, not to mention the expense of not only the panels, themselves, but just as importantly the number and expense of the battery storage and inversion that is required. A generator, while not as quiet, is a constant power source, but only has to be used 'as needed', but can be used anytime, regardless of whether daylight or nightlight, or overcast/rainy weather. While it's not necessarily 'cheap', either, and requires a fuel source, they have been found to be very efficient in how they generator power.

I don't want to doubt anyone's ability to 'live' off of solar, but I also don't want others be led that it's quite that simple - though the solar industry would certainly want you to believe it.

Solar is a power source, just like batteries, propane, natural gas, generators, shore power, etc., but rarely are any of those the 'end all' to everything we need. Even though 120v electricity may be able to provide almost everything we need, with little exception, it also has it's own cost, which is why other power sources continue to be in play. They all work together, and each for it's own preferences and abilities.

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by NCmountainsOffgrid; 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Wrybread
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2017

> Although I would say you are in the 1% of those that do not use or need a generator.

I'm also among the 1% in terms of solar capacity, and I don't think that's a coincidence.... Most RVs, including most of the people on this forum have outdated and tiny solar systems. I have a chair on the roof of my camper and I look at the other RVs and rarely see even a single modern solar panel on their roof tops. And I think that's largely because of misinformation. Install decent modern solar and you might be surprised how infrequently you need that gennie. You'll still need it for air conditioning but other than that, it'll sit quietly giving everyone a break.
                    Last edited by Wrybread; 08-21-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Wrybread
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2017

> I'm not sure I'd consider solar system now as 'dirt cheap'... as most statistics still show that solar power is still relatively expensive compared to other options.

Solar is expensive compared to other options when you're grid tied, but it's dirt cheap for an RV. A breakdown off the top of my head:

- 300 watt solar panels are about $200 each now. If you're on a budget look for ones with broken frames since they can't be used for grid-tied installs for code reasons and are as low as $60 each and work fine. So for 900 watts of solar that's $180 to $600.

- Tracer 40 amp charge controller is $180, or get the Morningstar for $350

- Xantrex 1000 watt inverter is $250. Or if you're on a budget get a cheapie inverter. And most people already have an inverter anyway.

- various wiring and fuses add another $100

Total is about $400 to $1300 for all the power you need. That's pretty cheap.

[Edited to add the battery bank below. I left that out because most people already have batteries, but to keep it complete, adding below]

- 4 Trojan T105 batteries = $160 each ($640). Or get the Costco (Interstate) 6 volt batteries at $100 each ($400). In my experience the Costco batteries are ok as long as you stay very on top of the maintenance, meaning keep them sufficiently charged, equalize them every month or two, and keep a close eye on their water level. If I was building a new system I'd definitely look at lithium batteries, the spread of ebikes has made really powerful lithium battery packs much much cheaper than even a year ago. And if I used lead acid I'd go 24 volt.

Even with the batteries that's comparable to a Honda EU 2000 or EU 3000, and no need to keep buying gas. And no need to handle gas, which is a massive benefit too. All the power you want, completely silently. And if you really need more power from time to time, you can still supplement it with a generator.
                      Last edited by Wrybread; 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

> I'm not sure I'd consider solar system now as 'dirt cheap'... as most statistics still show that solar power is still relatively expensive compared to other options.

Solar is expensive compared to other options when you're grid tied, but it's dirt cheap for an RV. A breakdown off the top of my head:

- 300 watt solar panels are about $200 each now. If you're on a budget look for ones with broken frames since they can't be used for grid-tied installs for code reasons and are as low as $60 each and work fine. So for 900 watts of solar that's $180 to $600.
                        - Tracer 40 amp charge controller is $180, or get the Morningstar for $350
                        - Xantrex 1000 watt inverter is $250. Or if you're on a budget get a cheapie inverter. And most people already have an inverter anyway.
                        - various wiring and fuses add another $100

Total is about $400 to $1300 for all the power you need. That's pretty cheap.
                        It still comes down to what you need in watt hours each day. Even 1000 watts of panels will get you at most maybe 5kWh which is a drop in the bucket for what most people use and need each day.

Being able to live off of minimal electric usage is admirable but in reality 99% of the US population would run out of power before mid afternoon with only 5kWh available

Comment

• Wrybread
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2017

> Being able to live off of minimal electric usage is admirable but in reality 99% of the US population would run out of power before mid afternoon with only 5kWh available

Are you talking about regular houses? I'm only talking about RV solar here (the subject of this forum). There's no washing machines or dryers in an RV for example. In an RV, I think most people can live just fine with only solar, provided they're using sufficient modern solar (and not solar systems that would be at home in the 90s). I literally never give a thought to power consumption, except for a month or so surrounding the solstice.
                          Last edited by Wrybread; 08-21-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

> Being able to live off of minimal electric usage is admirable but in reality 99% of the US population would run out of power before mid afternoon with only 5kWh available

Are you talking about regular houses? I'm only talking about RV solar here (the subject of this forum). There's no washing machines or dryers in an RV for example. In an RV, I think most people can live just fine with only solar, provided they're using sufficient modern solar. And most people still have solar systems that would be at home in the 90s, which I think is a shame.

I use power super extravagantly, without a thought given to conservation, and I rarely go over 2 kwh all day.
                            I won't argue with you about how little you use electricity compared to the vast majority of even RV'ers. 2 kWh is nothing and can disappear quickly.

I am not saying you are incorrect about solar and an RV. I am just saying that you are in a very small percentage of people that consume very little electricity. Congrats on your ability to do so.

Comment

• Wrybread
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Mar 2017

I still don't understand what you (or these "99%") are using that consumes so much power. And my point is that ultimately I think you're incorrect. 2kWh is definitely not nothing in an RV. I'm in it essentially full time with multiple computers running all day. My iMac pulls the same as a TV. What else do you think people need to run?

Comment

Working...