Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Run A Portable air conditioner on Honda EU2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Run A Portable air conditioner on Honda EU2000?

Searching for portable AC units for my camping tent. The types I've seen range from 8 to 14 Amps. Any camper with experience powering one of these units on a single Honda EU2000?

Welcome @MiaPacker,

Unfortunately, I cannot speak from experience, but I would sincerely doubt it. The inrush current required to start the compressor would likely exceed the transient current capability of the small EU2000.

I have read on other boards that folks have used the Yamaha equivalent (or a larger Honda). Some of the Yamaha models have a small battery booster pack which enables much higher starting currents specifically for air conditioners, air compressors, and other high inrush current power tools.

Such as the Yamaha EF3000iSEB for example. Of course these are larger and pretty expensive.

-Jonathan

Comment

See this video
      https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...tor/p1216.html

Comment

I run a 10000 btu window ac on a 1700 running 2000 surge at 3000 feet. Pulls 10.5 amps running. Once it cools the rv compressor cuts off. So far no issues with restarting the compressor. At 85 f. But this is a none inverter open frame power boss briggs and straton
        Last edited by Ho jo; 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

If you already have an EU2200i you can potentially parallel it with a second one. For ~4400W peak, 3600 continuous in theory. Total price for the pair is less than the Yamaha with boost.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p82267.html

Might be a more flexible if somewhat cobbled together solution. You could buy one, see if it works, and then add the second, if not.

Unfortunately inverter generators while very quiet and fuel efficient, do not tolerate overloads very well / at all unlike a conventional generator which just lags, and/or "skips a beat," for a few cycles under loads which are bigger than anticipated (up to a point).

Yamaha has been competing hard in this space, but it's hard to beat Honda reliability. Unfortunately the Honda's are very expensive, very small (Wattage) for the price, and have VERY SMALL gas tanks.

But I recommend the vendor. (Electric Generators Direct). I bought my larger Generac 6500W generator from them during Hurricane Sandy. Great resource for comparing, reading reviews, etc.

Comment

My 2000 honda ran a 5000 btu with no problems.

Comment

They also make these soft-start cap's for AC / fridges running on generator. Though they are fairly expensive. A couple quick searching on YouTube found quite a few folks running smaller <7K BTU AC units on the 2000i or 2200i without much issue -- assuming that's your only load.

Comment

A plain old engine driven alternator has some advantage in starting an induction motor,
                because the gen inertia helps deliver the surge (with some momentary loss of rpm).
                Bruce Roe

Comment

Cannot speak of their performance with generator, but...There have come to market now window shakers with inverter compressors and inverter fan blowers...like what earlier found their way to refrigerators...orange big box store carries thees window shakers for one.

Comment

I've read of a10000 btu whirlpool with low surge start up? Listed as 7.3 amps running. Not sure if its inverter.

Comment

My 10 year old EU2000 had no issue running a 6000btu A/C all night this past Memorial Day. It was a Cruise and Carry A/C.

Comment

No, a single Honda EU2000 generator isn't sufficient to power anything but the smallest of A/C units or <link removed> The 1,600 running watts that the EU2000 produces are just.

<Moderator note: no ad links please>
                        Last edited by sdold; 04-13-2023, 01:29 AM. Reason: ad link removed

Comment

Originally posted by rioustevan View Post
                          No, a single Honda EU2000 generator isn't sufficient to power anything but the smallest of A/C units or portable RV air conditioner. The 1,600 running watts that the EU2000 produces are just.
                          I beg to differ. I run a 1 ton inverter mini split off a 2000 watt inverter gen. Been running a 6000 BTU window unit off it for the past two summers.
                          2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Yes many folks on various RV forums have praised how well this works.
                            Buy EasyStart™ Soft Starters Direct from the Manufacturer – Micro-Air, LLC (microair.net)

Comment

Interesting old thread revival... Since it is to the top though, I'll chime in as a happy customer using the Micro Air as linked to by Mike 134 . Prior to this, my Yamaha 2400 could only marginally run my camper's OEM 13.5 kBtu rooftop air conditioner. Marginally meaning if the weather was cool and I was at lower elevation then it could do it. But when camping (usually in the mountains at higher elevation) and when we really wanted air con (HOT outdoor temps), then the gen would trip off due to overload when the compressor kicked on. Higher elevation and high ambient temps both reduce the power output of the generator engine which reduces its ability to generate electricity. The Micro Air solved this issue and the same generator reliably runs the air conditioner in every instance we have wanted it to. One of the best camper upgrades we have made. (Solar being the BEST upgrade, in my opinion. )
                              Last edited by ewarnerusa; 04-12-2023, 11:00 AM.
                              I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

Working...
                              X