X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wrybread

That hasn't been my experience at all. I guess it's true for the average person with no experience with solar, but anyone can learn to maintain their batteries. Takes about 30 seconds to get the super important basics (don't over discharge them), and another few minutes to get the rest.

Florida is a pretty extreme case, as are the mountains. I'm a happy medium here in California, and solar easily meets 100% of my needs. I wonder what the actual proportion of RVs is where people need air conditioning all the time, but I have a feeling it's pretty low.
    Hard to know. But based on the number of people that live in a Southern climate and those I have talked to that live in RV's most if not all want and use and AC system to cool off.

Now I would imagine that there are many people that live in less hot or humid climates that don't care about AC so no big deal if they can't power a system.

But I will put money on it by saying that there are millions of people that want and use AC systems if they live in a 5000 sq ft home or a 200 sq ft trailer. People just don't like to be hot.

Comment

• Wrybread
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2017

But I will put money on it by saying that there are millions of people that want and use AC systems if they live in a 5000 sq ft home or a 200 sq ft trailer. People just don't like to be hot.
      maybe, but certainly not in my experience, and it sounds like you're talking about people living full time in their RVs. But those people would still benefit greatly from solar for reasons other than their ac.
      Last edited by Wrybread; 05-27-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Wrybread
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2017

And by the way Sunking, your experience with powering all the lights on a runway *still* doesn't mean you need to have an onboard generator, since that's a sometimes use and has nothing to do with typical rv use. A few times a year I run a "drive in movie" where I use a strong projector to shoot a movie onto a large screen or wall, and for that I use a generator. I just bring a Honda eu2000 for the day, works awesome. And that saves me from lugging the thing for the rest of the year, is quieter than any rv generator, cheaper, better, and easier to maintain. And the fact that it's portable means I don't need to put my rv right next to the thing, I can put it a good distance away from anyone so the noise doesn't bother people. But again, that has nothing to do with an rv.
        Last edited by Wrybread; 05-27-2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Whyebread your head is thick as mud and not much more useful. An RV unless Class A is pretty much limited to a Toy 12 volt system that can only hold a pair of Golf Cart Batteries or L-16's unless modified. Compounding the issues of limited space and battery size limits you to 200 to 400 watts of panels. Let's not talk about Class B vans, as their is almost nothing you can do with them. Any manufactured RV with or without Soar are equipped with Isolators and most come equipped with Genny's for a damn good reason. Any laymen can understand why, solar is to limited in power and will leave you with dead abused batteries. Your advice of not having redundant power source is as foolish as going out in a boat without ores or life jackets. Only a damn fool would do that, and sooner or later your luck is going to run out.

The two I have designed and built are Class A Rv's, and any of those from the manufacture have large generators, Isolators, and a large battery box to work with with. Adding solar is pretty simple, and you had better have alternate power source for any serious long term outings or else you wil trash a thousand dollars worth of batteries. All it takes is a $60 Isolator to get you out of trouble and save your batteries. A $60 Isolator can do more in one hours than 500 watt panel system in a day. Not hard to wrap your head around unless it is full of mud.

I only bust people who give bad or dangerous advice, and you give both.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

And by the way [USER="2334"] I just bring a Honda eu2000.
            You fool, you just admitted I am right, you need alternate power source.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wrybread
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2017

Debating you is like debating a kid. It's all ad hominem insults, confirmation bias, and what *must* be willful misinterpretation. Sure I need an alternative power source other than solar in my life. My house is powered by grid power for example, and so is my "drive in movie". But that has nothing to do with an RV.

An RV unless Class A is pretty much limited to a Toy 12 volt system that can only hold a pair of Golf Cart Batteries or L-16's unless modified. Compounding the issues of limited space and battery size limits you to 200 to 400 watts of panels. Let's not talk about Class B vans, as their is almost nothing you can do with them.
              Are you basing that on your experience with your Air Stream when you were a kid in the 50s, or from renting crappy RVs more recently?

Because in my experience a class A has plenty of room for 4 T105s. Hell, so do most class B vans. I used to have a Class B with two T105s, since that's all I needed, but I could have easily fit 4 if I needed to. And my current class C fits 4 with room for more.

And incidentally, those 4 T105s take less space and weigh less than most generators.

And remember, I'm not saying no one needs a generator. I'm saying not everyone does. The fact that you still argue that everyone needs a gennie even as multiple people give evidence to the contrary is downright amazing. Especially given that a good chunk of your cited experience with RV solar is driving rental RVs!

And please do call me out if I give any bad or dangerous advice! And I'll continue do the same when you give dangerous, uninformed and outdated advice.
              Last edited by Wrybread; 05-28-2017, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Because in my experience a class a has plenty of room for 4 T105s..
                Again you cannot read or comprehend worth a darn. You don't even know the difference between a Class A and Class C RV. I said:

The two I have designed and built are Class A Rv's, and any of those from the manufacture have large generators, Isolators, and a large battery box to work with with.
                I said Clacc C has limited space for batteries. Try reading some time.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wrybread
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2017

I said Clacc C has limited space for batteries. Try reading some time.
                  I read plenty. And as I said my current 24' Class C (which is probably smaller than the Class C RV you helped with) easily fits my 4 Trojan T105s with room for 4 more if I needed them, which I don't. And it makes no difference which class of RV you were talking about, you're officially outed as having no meaningful experience with RV solar.

That's no big deal on it's own, lots of people have minimal experience with RV solar. But they don't say things like "Going off in a RV is all about unplugging and getting away from TV, phones, and internet. If you want all the comforts, use an RV park with electric hook ups and pull a car."
                  Last edited by Wrybread; 05-28-2017, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

I read plenty. And as I said my current 24' Class C"
                    You cannot read chit or know wtf you are talking about. Try reading what you wrote.

You said:
                    Because in my experience a class a has plenty of room for 4 T105s..
                    . Now you change your story to Class C. You don't know the difference between Class A and C
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

And remember, I'm not saying no one needs a generator. I'm saying not everyone does. The fact that you still argue that everyone needs a gennie even as multiple people give evidence to the contrary is downright amazing. .
                      Like I said your reading comprehension is about as good as your advice. I have said: you will want to have either a genny and/or Isolator as an alternative source of power to CYA in the event of cloudy days or unforeseen problems.

We all get your point; You are the moron out on the lake in a fishing boat without a paddle or life jacket on board in case anything happens beyond your control.
                      Last edited by Sunking; 05-28-2017, 12:34 PM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

I read plenty. And as I said my current 24' Class C (which is probably smaller than the Class C RV you helped with) easily fits my 4 Trojan T105s with room for 4 more if I needed them, which I don't. And it makes no difference which class of RV you were talking about, you're officially outed as having no meaningful experience with RV solar.

That's no big deal on it's own, lots of people have minimal experience with RV solar. But they don't say things like "Going off in a RV is all about unplugging and getting away from TV, phones, and internet. If you want all the comforts, use an RV park with electric hook ups and pull a car."
                        I just came from Cape Canaveral and from our balcony I could see Jetty Park RV area which was petty full. When I walked through it I counted over 50 RV's all different sizes and types and did not see a single one with solar panels. Granted there are trees around the camp site which would have made any production reduced but I didn't even see any dismounted panels being used. That is pretty typical of most RV places I have gone through. Solar is not a big thing for them.

Comment

• Wrybread
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2017

@sunking: sorry but my reading comprehension is fine. I completely understand the point you're making, but am saying you're wrong about it being always the case. And I'm saying you don't have enough experience with RV solar to tell anyone otherwise.

I'm living proof that not everyone needs a generator, and multiple other people in this thread are as well. This isn't theory, this is real life. I know you don't understand that. You have a lot to offer in terms of theory, but nothing to offer in terms of RV solar experience since you have next to none.

@suneagle: agreed that solar on rvs isn't uniquitous get, especially in rv parks (since people without solar need to be in an rv park), but I'd argue that that's not any kind of proof that it doesn't work well. It's not like they had good solar and then got rid of it, they simply never got it in the first place. Most of those rvs probably don't have leds either, but of course LEDs work great in RVs.

And also, the era or cheap high quality solar for RVs is still pretty new. Talk to anyone with 500 or 600 watts of hard mounted solar and 4 T105s or equivalent to get an accurate picture of how well it works on an RV.
                          Last edited by Wrybread; 05-29-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

@sunking: sorry but my reading comprehension is fine. I completely understand the point you're making, but am saying you're wrong about it being always the case. And I'm saying you don't have enough experience with RV solar to tell anyone otherwise.

I'm living proof that not everyone needs a generator, and multiple other people in this thread are as well. This isn't theory, this is real life. I know you don't understand that. You have a lot to offer in terms of theory, but nothing to offer in terms of RV solar experience since you have next to none.

@suneagle: agreed that solar on rvs isn't uniquitous get, especially in rv parks (since people without solar need to be in an rv park), but I'd argue that that's not any kind of proof that it doesn't work well. It's not like they had good solar and then got rid of it, they simply never got it in the first place. Most of those rvs probably don't have leds either, but of course LEDs work great in RVs.

And also, the era or cheap high quality solar for RVs is still pretty new. Talk to anyone with 500 or 600 watts of hard mounted solar and 4 T105s or equivalent to get an accurate picture of how well it works on an RV.
                            Oh. I agree that solar and an RV will work and can be a successful power supply. What I feel is that the number of people that own an RV who decide to install 500 or 600 watts of solar are few and far between. For those people that go that route, I would say they need a good understanding of solar and battery charging or the chance of those 4 T105s will turn out bad.

I have already shown you one of my solar panels systems that I plan on using either with my RV or to power incidentals in a shed that I plan to install this year. I just don't plan on every installing a permanent system on any RV that I own because my wife likes AC and that will require a working generator.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

I'm living proof that not everyone needs a generator, and multiple other people in this thread are as well. This isn't theory, this is real life. I know you don't understand that. You have a lot to offer in terms of theory, but nothing to offer in terms of RV solar experience since you have next to none..
                              Like I said you are the idiot out on a fishing boat without a paddle or life jacket. I have over 40 years professional experience. You do not have one day of professional experience, nor any education to back it up. You are a shade tree mechanic telling people how to destroy expensive batteries.

Even Sun Eagle is telling you are full of crap. Any RV user needs a alternate source of power. if not a Honda Generator like you have and use,(makes you a liar and hypocrite) then a $50 Battery Isolator to save your butt. Anyone but you can understand that. You are the guy on a boat without a paddle or life jacket.

Here are your own words that make you a liar.

I just bring a Honda eu2000
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wrybread
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Mar 2017

Like I said you are the idiot out on a fishing boat without a paddle or life jacket. I have over 40 years professional experience. You do not have one day of professional experience, nor any education to back it up. You are a shade tree mechanic telling people how to destroy expensive batteries.
                                Solar (especially for RVs) is dead simple no matter how much you want to be the high priest interpreting the obscure texts for people. And you're living proof that professional experience gets in the way, since I've built *far* better RV solar installs than you. Charging your batteries, before your trip, hilarious!

Even Sun Eagle is telling you are full of crap. Any RV user needs a alternate source of power. if not a Honda Generator like you have and use,(makes you a liar and hypocrite) then a $50 Battery Isolator to save your butt. Anyone but you can understand that. You are the guy on a boat without a paddle or life jacket.
                                No he isn't. He's telling me that in his experience lots of people have generators, and solar isn't very common at the RV parks he goes to. That's a big difference.

And what about the multiple people in this thread who like me never use generators? Are they lying too? For example:

@ewarnerusa

I'm of the same opinion as Wrybread, off grid campers exploring solar are often already well versed in power management and don't need an over the top, good enough for residential system to meet all of their power needs. That's why those of us successfully doing for a while have an eye rolling response with some of the advice offered in this sub forum. Solar most certainly does work terrific for the long weekend warrior off grid camper. I haven't needed a generator in years either. Hydrometer shows that my batteries are happy and healthy, they are kept at bursting full charge as the camper sits at home which is where it spends most of its time.
                                I have an alternative theory: you have no idea what you're doing when it comes to the practical application of RV solar. Your ideas are outdated, and overly rooted in the grid tied an large scale off-grid solar world. And you'll never learn otherwise since you're too stubborn and closed minded.

As far as me being a liar for renting a Honda EU generator to put on a "drive in movie theater" party, even though it had nothing to do with my RV and didn't charge any batteries, you *really* are reaching. And I'm starting to think you might be a little senile.

Speaking of which, I figured out how to read your posts: put them in the voice of Grandpa Abe from the Simpsons and they make much more sense!
                                Last edited by Wrybread; 05-30-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...