No announcement yet.

DIY Solar Panels...What kind of glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as far as ebay here, there are only 2 sellers I am looking at, and they have thousands of positive feedback, so I'm not worried about that. But like I was saying about sunelec.com prices, if I want a 5kw system that I know the panels are going to last basically forever, I'd buy from there instead of building dozens of panels using glass of thick polycarbonate and only saving a small percentage. I'll probably just build some to use recreationally and for emergency use. Probably around 1-2kw.

Comment

wonderful info!

stumbled onto this thread googling for glass info for building a drain-back waterheater system i'm researching. thanks much--life just got easier!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysun View Post
        Plexiglas transmits 92% of visible light and over 10 years in the harshest sunlight will lose about 2% - which you can't really detect with your own eyeballs.

Sounds like a pretty big efficiency loss!
        so sun just a recap you would spend more money on polycaronate glass b/c you will not lose as much power, is 10 % really that much if you are talking 100 dollars or so more for glass??

just a question i hope im not like sounding like im yelling or anything.

Comment

I guess I'll bump this thread. Looking to price a lotta glass

Comment

Originally posted by tjames View Post
            I guess I'll bump this thread. Looking to price a lotta glass
            Start calling your local dealers
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks Russ- I guess I was just picking up from the OP question: What glass is best, or rather most reasonable?

Super-exotic glass (Ruby or something?) doesn't seem to be justifiable due to high cost

Tempered

Thickness? Assuming tempered, would one shoot for 1/8" thick total? Too thin?

Iron-Free seems universally desired.

Textured on front for less reflection / more penetration? I guess this has been independently verified hundreds of times that it's much better than flat floated glass?

Comment

Originally posted by tjames View Post
                Tempered if you want panels to last past the first hail storm then yes

Thickness? Assuming tempered, would one shoot for 1/8" thick total? Too thin? too thin

Iron-Free seems universally desired. less light loss

Textured on front for less reflection / more penetration? I guess this has been independently verified hundreds of times that it's much better than flat floated glass?
                textured surface? What commercial mfg uses that?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Someone deleted my post?

Comment

Working...
                  X