DIY Solar Panels...What kind of glass?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunnysun
    • Sep 2009

from what I understand, plexiglass "yellowing" is a myth.

This myth started because there were a lot of clear styrene sheets sold (as a plexiglass look-alike) in the old days (50's and 60's) and they sure DID yellow. Fast. And Plexiglas? Never.

"In other tests, samples of colorless Plexiglas G sheet exposed outdoors in Arizona, Florida, and Pennsylvania for 20 years or more show no significant discoloration, crazing, surface dulling, loss of light transmission, or development of have or turbidity. Although these samples were Plexiglas G sheet, ongoing weathering studies have shown Plexiglas MC sheet to behave in a similar manner. " -Plexiglass

"American-made acrylic does NOT yellow in the sunlight. Witness the protective canopies and bubbles in the World War II bombers - they are still clear after 50 years in the sun! There are three other clear plastics that do yellow in the sun and get confused with acrylic - Styrene, PETG, and Polycarbonate."

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

I still suggest visiting someone using the material on a commercial basis if possible.

What was called plexiglass has yellowed in the past - whatever it really was I have no idea and don't care. This is getting a bit silly actually.

I would personally never consider using anything but glass.

Look at the SRCC site and see how many thermal panels use plastic - only yhr cheapest of the cheap maybe. That is a good indication of what the panel manufacturers think.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

In 1998, Dodge was using a DOT certified plastic headlamp lens cover. Since 2005, the 2 on my truck, have been a frosted yellow. Last week, I used a sander/buffer/polisher kit to clean off the nasty outer layer of plastic. Of course, the glass marker lights next to the headlights, were fine.
        Over a couple of years, plastic will yellow. Pic's in a couple days.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mike90250; 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rimpa001
          • Jul 2010

Re:What type of tempered glass would you use to make a PV panel? Source?

Originally posted by BilljustBill
          What type of tempered glass would you use to make a PV panel? Source?

I realize this is "Out There", but I ran across several metal-framed glass shower doors. Having enough cells to make a panel, would this type of glass work?

I've used a sealant called LexCell in sealing my dual 3 Hp. suction fans and 1/4" thick Plexiglass windows on the side of my two 55 gallon waste barrels. It's a water-clear sealant that dries rather hard, but somewhat flexible. Sealing a metal framed glass isn't a problem using that product.

Adding the equal of two panels under the glass of one shower door "seems" workable.... ;>)

Bill

A solar cell is a device that converts the energy of sunlight directly into electricity by the photovoltaic effect.

A solar electric module or solar (PV) panel consists of a sheet of highly durable, low reflective, tempered glass with an aluminum frame.

The back of the photovoltaic panel is protected by another sheet of tempered glass or a different type of long-lasting material.
          I often answer posts with nonsense answers, maybe because I am trying to get my post count up to evade moderators.
          BEWARE - Watch me

Comment

• Eddy67
            • Feb 2011

Mike90250

I am new to this forum, I am currently making a 2KW system, I have all the cells soldered and I am now looking into buying the glass. I noticed you were in LA too, can you recommend a place to buy this glass?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Hi Eddy67 - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Russ
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Eddy67
                • Feb 2011

Thank you, I have seen so many you tube videos that I am a little weary of, I figured I should find a good forum to get answers.

Comment

• Raudy1
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Eddy67
                  Mike90250

I am new to this forum, I am currently making a 2KW system, I have all the cells soldered and I am now looking into buying the glass. I noticed you were in LA too, can you recommend a place to buy this glass?
                  I am also looking glass supplier. Having a tough time finding the good stuff. I am on the East coast. ANY BODY HAVE ANY GOOD RECOMMENDATIONS??

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Hi Raudy - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Hopefully someone has a suggestion for you.

Some have suggested old shower curtain glass - tempered so it can not be cut but the price should be right.

Otherwise call the glass suppliers in a city near you and keep on until you find an attractive price.

Russ
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Swampwood
                      • Mar 2011

I called the 2 glass stores in town.. One is 40% cheaper than the other for the same thing...call around.
                      I'm looking at 1/4'' tempered front, thinking about 1/4" plexi for the back.

Comment

• singinghart

It's a good thing that people here are so knowledgeable about solar panels. I would like to add some information about the angle. It should face perfectly where the sun shines the longest time so that the solar panels will receive the maximum energy.
                        Last edited by russ; 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• themaxx69
                          • Aug 2011

Hey, another newbie here.

After many years of wanting to get into solar panels and to land of free electricity(mostly), I am about ready to start buying and building.

One quick question about a post I just saw, why would you put a piece of glass or polycarbonate behind the cells?

Onto the glass vs PC. I have been reading a lot about this lately and based on what I found, I am 99% sure I'm going with polycarbonate. Probably the number one reason is price. All the stores I called in the Phoenix area wanted around $11 a square foot for 1/8" tempered glass! If you paid that right there, you would spend more making a solar panel than buying one from sunelec.com. And honestly, with the prices of solar panels lately, not even including tax incentives of utility rebates, it's not much cheaper to do it yourself if any at all. Sunelec.com has panels around $1.50 a watt. Grade a cells on ebay run maybe $.50-$.70 a watt depending how many you buy. Add the cost of panel material and glass or PC, and you could actually pay more, not to mention the time it take to build and quality of build vs brand new factory made with warranty.

The only way I see to really save money is to use really thin flat PC and possibly smaller panels, or even thinner(.8mm) corrugated PC. And that's using only one piece for the front, not front and back.

I'm using prices from http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lex...arbonate_Sheet
                          and
                          Shop Gemplers for your landscaping, growing, safety supplies, clothing, footwear and pest control needs. Gemplers is a small, family-owned business based in Wisconsin and serving folks who work outdoors across the U.S.A. since 1939. We’re dedicated to always treating you like a neighbor and not a number.

Any input would be great.

And by the way, I just found out here in arizona there is a new program where you can "lease" a grid-tie 5kw system, installed, maintained, and warrantied for around $7,000. After 25 years I think, they give you the option to buy, at supposedly next to nothing. I'm not sure if this is just SRP or both SRP and APS electric. And you don't have to deal with any rebates or anything. I think if you own a home, you'd be insane not to do this.

Complete 5kw system installed, maintained, and warrantied against damage for around $7,000 or less!!!!!!

When I buy my house this is one of the first things I will do.

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

When I buy my house this is one of the first things I will do.
                            2nd thing will be to find insurance coverage.

discover what the "coefficient of thermal expansion" is for the materials you place in the panel. (cells, glass, backing) if they dont all match, the weakest one (the thin cells) will fracture. Air pockets will capture and condense moisture. ebay cells, are not prime (A) cells, they are rejects, for any of a dozen or more reasons.
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• themaxx69
                              • Aug 2011

Well actually most of the cells I have looked at are advertised as grade a or no defects. I have seen ones with minor chips for a little less, but not much. Buying a thousand cells for a system, I wouldn't mess with saving a few cents per watt. Although there are lots with cells cut in half roughly for around $.33 a watt, which would be good for making maybe a small system.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

The ads you see on ebay are not all that accurate - they know that you can not test the cells to prove anything other than what they claim.

Many listings on ebay are like the story I read today where a lady bought an iPad in the parking lot of a shopping mall. When she got home and opened the box she found a block of wood with the Apple logo on it.

I suggest that you start with a small panel and see how it goes - it isn't so easy as most of the rather stupid utube postings claim.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...