Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

legionsolar out of San Jose figures out plug and play.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

Still waiting.
    Wait on, but while doing so see: "Russell's Teapot" for something to ponder.

I'm out of this thread.

Mike: Understood.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Wait on.......
      I don't expect to get that answer on this forum or any where else because I believe the answer is that there is no ability for the POCOs to regulate what I do behind the meter. I do think, as that knowledge becomes more widely shared, more people will install generators and battery backups partly stimulated by the recent power outages. Load departure will continue. That is what happened in Hawaii. I would not want to be a shareholder of a utility in California.

In the meantime I will continue to enjoy the benefits of having a backup during power outages and a source of additional energy so all my grid tie generaton will get credited to my account.
      Last edited by Ampster; 11-10-2019, 12:55 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

If you pull the meter, or disconnect with an approved transfer switch, you can do as you please and the PoCo won't care.

Or just go ahead with your plans of whatever and see what happens...

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          If you pull the meter, or disconnect with an approved transfer switch, you can do as you please and the PoCo won't care.

Or just go ahead with your plans of whatever and see what happens...

Why would I pull the meter? My building permit did not say I had to pull the meter. PG & E or SCE never told me I had to pull the meter. They must have known I was self generating because they saw my consumption go down. I have been doing this for over 5 years, first with an Outback Radian (SCE) and then with and Outback Skybox (PG & E) both of which had building permits and were UL certified. They both have transfer switches but you should know that the schematics provided by Outback show that in almost all modes they are electrically connected to the service panel and use CTs and software to prevent back feeding the grid. It seems to work well for Outback and they got UL certification doing it that way. The only time the transfer switch disconnects from the service panel is when the grid is down and they continue to feed the critical loads panel. They do both have a grid tie mode but since I did not apply for a PTO I never ran them in grid tie mode. For those that are interested that is how almost all Hybrid Bimodal inverters are connected. Internally they take care of the islanding when the grid is down.

BTW, I checked and in some states only a licensed electrician can pull a meter. There are 240 Volt un fused connectors back there.
          Last edited by Ampster; 11-10-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            And plug-in (generating appliance) inverters are never allowed in houses, because local generation happens behind the breakers and the wires are not protected

If you unplug the meter, there is now no grid and you can do as you please.
            This is the big deal from my perspective. Plug-in grid tie inverters have an unsolvable safety problem. (I think it's what sank Orison's product.) You can wire it directly to a branch circuit, of course - which is the right way to do it. But then it needs to have that UL certification.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
              Why would I pull the meter? My building permit did not say I had to pull the meter. PG & E or SCE never told me I had to pull the meter. They must have known I was self generating because they saw my consumption go down. I have been doing this for over 5 years,
              "They must be OK with it" "they must have known" "they never told me" - all very poor arguments IMO. The more likely solution is that they were solving other problems and didn't have the time/energy/desire to solve yours.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                "They must be OK with it" "they must have known" "they never told me" - all very poor arguments IMO. The more likely solution is that they were solving other problems and didn't have the time/energy/desire to solve yours.
                It was a poor attempt at humor since @SunEagle earlier in the thread said that the Florida utilities were regularly monitoring users consumption. I don't have a problem to solve, but Mike sure thinks I do because I did not ask PG & E for permission to install a UL certified Hybrid inverter. That inverter does not backfeed the grid. I did pull a building permit.
                Last edited by Ampster; 11-10-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                  This is the big deal from my perspective. Plug-in grid tie inverters have an unsolvable safety problem. (I think it's what sank Orison's product.) You can wire it directly to a branch circuit, of course - which is the right way to do it. But then it needs to have that UL certification.
                  I agree. Those companies are making misleading statements. I hope it doesn't hurt the reputation of the industry.

Comment

Working...
                  X