X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by john p

If you dont believe there is a difference try first cooking rice on a gas stove then in a dedicated electric rice cooker. The first thing I noticed was the cooked rice looks different. And it does taste different. There is a further difference if cooked in a solar oven..
    That is what I said - style of food preparation can make a difference and a big one - the heat source is meaningless.

One of my favorites at present is a unit called actifry where a very small amount of oil is required and the unit constantly stirs the food - great for many things but french fries are great - taste great without all the oil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• john p
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2010

Russ there is no style of food preperation difference between cooking rice in solar oven or on gas stove.. you use the same aluminium pot and the exaxt same amount of water.
      So no difference in preperation.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Russ there is no style of food preperation difference between cooking rice in solar oven or on gas stove.. you use the same aluminium pot and the exaxt same amount of water.
        So no difference in preperation.
        In that case then zero difference in taste.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• john p
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2010

Russ In that case then zero difference in tasteIf you say that then I can only conclude you have never tried cooking rice both ways using same pot and amount of water.Anyone looking at it on a plate can see there is a "looks" difference. The rice cooked in electric rice cooker looks more "fluffy" even more so when done with solar oven.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

John - Then you are suggesting it is magic?
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• john p
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2010

no its not magic . its in the way the pot is heated. on a below heater. gas or fire or electric the heat is very uneaven and it heats the lower part of the rice at a higher temp than the top. This is the reason I think it tends to overcook one part and undercook the other part. So it gives a dryer taste to part of it. And as I already said you can see the difference after cooking when served.
              I have not found anyone that has consumed rice cooked both ways that cant taste the difference. And same goes for its looks.
              If cooked on stove for an even slightly to long a time it will get a dry "burnt" taste if left in solar oven all afternoon after it was cooked ok for lunch it will still have same taste .
              Any way it not matter if you not believe, I know there is a difference and its an easy to see and taste difference. Mabe if you tried it you would see and taste that difference. not everything can be explained on paper.

But cooking biscuits there is no difference to looks or taste if gas or solar oven..

I like my homemade solar oven. They work very well if you have the right weather conditions.
              THE END

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Have fun with the solar oven! I have no interest in one and I am sure my wife has even less interest.

All you are saying is the same thing I have said - the style of cooking - it doesn't take a solar oven to make rice proper - or anything else. If one wants dried out rice they can make it that way.

Here a compliment to the cook would be to tell her that she made the rice well - a big deal to the cook. Naturally I never do as I never really notice.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                  • Mar 2012

Solar oven size

Originally posted by xiaoneitie
                  thats a good idear i think but it seems too big for me to travel with. is there any small one?

You can always create your own, plans are all over the internet. Keep in mind that the smaller the size the less you can cook.

The premade Sunoven weighs 21 pounds and the reflectors fold flat. The cooking chamber is kind of small, you have to plan your meals to fit everything you want. My video on YouTube shows you pretty much everthing you need to know. Just search YouTube for "SunOven Seminar with Paul Munsen". My channel is DesignCBTs.

We travel often and take our Sunoven everywhere. During the hot summers, we don't like cooking too much in our small travel trailer. If you're flying or riding a bicycle, well the Sunoven isn't practical...

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                    • Mar 2012

Solar cook off

no its not magic . its in the way the pot is heated. on a below heater. gas or fire or electric the heat is very uneaven and it heats the lower part of the rice at a higher temp than the top. This is the reason I think it tends to overcook one part and undercook the other part. So it gives a dryer taste to part of it. And as I already said you can see the difference after cooking when served.
                    I have not found anyone that has consumed rice cooked both ways that cant taste the difference. And same goes for its looks.
                    If cooked on stove for an even slightly to long a time it will get a dry "burnt" taste if left in solar oven all afternoon after it was cooked ok for lunch it will still have same taste .
                    Any way it not matter if you not believe, I know there is a difference and its an easy to see and taste difference. Mabe if you tried it you would see and taste that difference. not everything can be explained on paper.

But cooking biscuits there is no difference to looks or taste if gas or solar oven..

I like my homemade solar oven. They work very well if you have the right weather conditions.
                    THE END
                    FYI, There's usually a solar cook off in Taylorsville, CA at the Plumas County Fairgrounds. There are many people that bring their own creations and it's a blast. I'm not certain when it will be held this year...

Comment

• CLaura
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sampo
                      [...]I think that solar oven is the most affordable and effective free energy solution. [...] Even more if you live in desert or in arid climate you can use Solncebranka as a refrigerator because it keeps 100 C during all day so food doesn't get burned or spoiled and in the night you have very chilly weather in the desert so it doesn't get spoiled during night time. [...]
                      Sun power is just amazing ! I'm happy & really impressed by its progress in third-world (even I consider that it has been made for using it everywhere).

Originally posted by natel
                      For someone who doesn't want to try and make one of these themselves, would anyone recommend any of the products you can buy out there? [...]
                      I didn't feel able to do it myself so I bought a solar barbecue. I have a portable solar oven too, perfect for hiking : it folds up into a bag ! Awesome

Originally posted by russ
                      In that case then zero difference in taste.
                      I don't think so... It is more healthy as it is cooked with no coal or gas, only food nutriments, and Sunrays -of course-! So (in my opinion) the taste is different.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CLaura
                        I don't think so... It is more healthy as it is cooked with no coal or gas, only food nutriments, and Sunrays -of course-! So (in my opinion) the taste is different.
                        What you are saying is impossible - however, if it makes you happy.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Foods cooked in solar ovens DOES taste different. Like it's only been steamed or boiled. breads/cake/cookies are marginal. I've been in the desert, trying to bake cookies in bright sun on a hot day, after 45 min, they still were not cooked. Things don't "brown" in a solar oven, until you get to the large concentrator types:
                          5d6f12fb-e648-4f92-b9a9-486ff45d41da.large-profile.jpg
                          Eventually, at 50 suns, hot dogs come out OK, in 60 seconds
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Style of cooking can make a difference - heat source can not.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
                              Foods cooked in solar ovens DOES taste different. Like it's only been steamed or boiled.
                              That is because that is what you are doing. They do not get hot enough to roast and/or bake.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Buck Rogers 2000
                                • Mar 2012

Solar Ovens DO Bake!

Originally posted by Sunking
                                That is because that is what you are doing. They do not get hot enough to roast and/or bake.
                                You are mistaken. You can easily bake bread, cookies, whatever. We just made some fantastic Chicken Cacciatore yesterday. First, we cooked the chicken in the solar oven, it browned quite nicely. Then we removed the meat from the bones, added vegetables and seasoning and put it back in the solar oven.

You may be very knowledgeable about PV but you have a lot to learn about solar cooking...

Comment

Working...